Button via HomeKit fires the trigger in the flow twice

Hi @robertklep & @Arie_J_Godschalk

I have been using a Virtual Device (App) Button (currently 58) for years to start flows via HomeKit. Now I noticed while testing my new ADF Tigger based “framework” that the button via HomeKitty (v1.2.6) fires two events in the homey. Probably the reason is that the first one is sent to activate and the second one to deactivate the (HomeKit) switch, because HomeKit doesn’t know buttons.

If you press the button in the homey, the event is called, correctly only once.

BDW: I deliberately do not use the new “Flow Starter Device”, because I bring myself into too great a dependence on the HomeyKitty app and may have to rebuild everything again at a later date.

Since I now do not know with whom Robert or Arie I have to place the problem, I have decided in typical Swiss manner to start a topic on neutral ground to find out who is responsible for this, so that I can then write the issues in the right place…:wink:

My “super duper” test setup:

Chris

Buttons in HomeKitty are implemented as switches than turn themselves off automatically (after a second or so), there’s no way around that.

From what I can see, the flow is triggered on changes, so not on just “turned on”, which explains why it gets triggered twice (when it turns on, then after a second when it turns off again).

HomeKitty’s “Flow Starter” device should work better in this situation.

OK, then I can only hope that there is some way to teach this to the Virtual Device. Or there is a solution via “Advanced Virtual Device” and you support this in the HomeyKitty app.

The problem with the “Flow Starter” is that I want to use the “framework” also in homey environments where the users doesn’t use HomeKit.

Not quite sure what that means, but the Flow Starter device also works as a regular button in the Homey app. It doesn’t need to be triggered from HomeKit.

I don’t need to load the HomeKitty App.

I have your “Flow Starter” code more closely looked at and it remains me willy-nilly, nothing else but to change everything.

THX for the help

Chris

Perhaps another work around: the Device Capabilitities App has a trigger that can be used for any button.
It will give the client/username.

I asume/hoop (but might be wrong) that when you click it yourself, it will give another client/user, then when it is switched back a second later?
If so, you can use that triggercard instead of the default VD you are using in your image, and check the user/client tag/token.

I have had a similar problem. I had assumed that it was because i used Siri which starts a favourite flow (e.g. Garage Door"), and then as it was also in Homekit it was called a second time. So I removed it from Homekit.

I will need to have a look at Flow Starter.

Robert, do you have a simple documented use case of how to best combine these various capabilities in order to Siri enable a flow in Homey. I’m afraid I have become confused as there seems to be a number of different methods of achieving this. Hopefully there is one solution that might be considered “best practice”

No, I don’t, but if your goal is to start a flow from HomeKit, the Flow Starter device should be (relatively) self-explanatory.

Thanks Robert, I’ll have a play.

Peter

| robertklep
January 18 |

• | - |

Peter_Bittner:

Robert, do you have a simple documented use case of how to best combine these various capabilities in order to Siri enable a flow in Homey

No, I don’t, but if your goal is to start a flow from HomeKit, the Flow Starter device should be (relatively) self-explanatory.