Best indoor Motion Sensor?

Well, i had some troubles with one sensor, the motion alarm didnt turn off. Considering that i have 7 of them, i swapped that one with an usb powerd one, and never had any problems again

Good to know. Might try the loadable batteries.

How long between the charges the multisensor work?

iā€™ve got some from ali express, so maybe with more expensiver ones it will work with that one sensor that refuses the Ali quality.

The time between charges depends on all the intervals youā€™ve setup and motion of course. the one in my livingroom which reports all sensors each 5 mins and has the most motion is 4 to 6 weeks on rechargeable batteries. on normal ones about 8 weeks.

I hacked my Aqara motion also via the soldering method. The first few days I had also 5 sec reset time. But after that period it is 120 seconds again. Sounds this familiar to you @robertklep?

Mine use CR2450 battery.

Bad soldering?

Hmm yeah mine use CR2450ā€™s too :woozy_face:

Assuming that the Homey device is still set to the 5-second reset (in the device settings, I think), I would also suspect bad soldering. I think I soldered one sensor and used the ā€œpencil trickā€ (where you take a softish pencil and draw a line between the two soldering points) on all my others (which works fine).

Then I need to grab a magnifying glass To check the solderings. :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

I was looking for other motion sensors. But there is not much choice in zigbee world. My zigbee network is very good and stable due to deCONZ. So using zwave may be an option. Maybe thinking about buying one Philips hue motion sensor to test. Unless I can get the aqara working again.

Hue is zigbee too

I know Martijn. But if possible I would not like to switch to zwave. Maybe for the fire alarms.

Then I completely misunderstood your previous message, sorry for that, thought you wanted a z-wave sensor and not a zigbee. If you want to use hue motion detectors; I can tell, they work great, have 5 of them. Have them connected to deCONZ too and it just works like a charm.

Have one motion detector from Aquara and I modified my motion sensor from Aquara too, firstly tried with soldering, but that came out horriblyā€¦ apparently I cannot keep my hands steadyā€¦ They keep shaking. Then @robertklep advised me to use a HB pencil to draw a line from contact to contact, and that works like a charm, for months on now.

No worries Martijn!

In the past days I searched hours for information about zigbee motion sensors. Each time again the positive messages from Hue. Also Aqaraā€™s are mostly positive, unless hacked. Next week I will investigate mine with a magnifying glass.

About the Hue motion senstor, how did you handle the sensor to go back into idle mode? How many seconds does this take? Thatā€™s still hard to find on the internet.

Thanks!

Donā€™t have any problems with the idle mode. Havenā€™t noticed it yet. I do have some issues with the zone activityā€¦ doesnā€™t work for me. Having the lights turn off when no activity for 5 mins means the lights wonā€™t turn on again if someone has manually turned off the lights, so iā€™m not using that anymore. Other than that, no issues with idle timeout.

Canā€™t say I have experienced anything similar, but please open an own topic, maybe someone can help figure out what is wrong.

Iā€™ve got some aqaraā€™s and hue motion sensors, and Iā€™m trying to find a way to make them work properly. I have some flows with timers/countdown but itā€™s not there yet.

The problem is that the sensors need new motion to turn the hourglass but when Iā€™m sitting still it doesnā€™t register and you have to wave or get up to detect new motion.

Are there sensors that just register if there is someone in the room and accordingly act in flows?

Came acros this Aqara human sensor. That should do the trick?

Yes, the Aqara Lumi Human Sensor should be the solution. I guess itā€™s a kind of presence sensor, itā€™s not the same like a motion sensor.

Another presence sensor I know is the HmIP-SPI from Homematic. But therefore you need an Homematic Gateway like CCU2, CCU3 or RaspberryMatic in addition. The Homematic App supports the sensor already, but I donā€™t know if the sensor works proper, because I do not own one.

Thanks, Iā€™d like a sensor that works directly with Homey, not another bridge :wink: but the xiaomi sensor is B2B so I dont think it will be available for purchase anytime soon? The fact that its build in the ceiling also causes some problems. Hopefully there will be other sensors in the future that detects presence and not based on motion

A different system based on thermal. I like the idea but not the design, take a look:

No, itā€™s still a motion sensor, but high-precision. I use such sensors, but ā€œclassicā€ ones (in my alarm-system, itā€™s not smart-home related), they are able to detect e.g. if you sit near a desk and write on your keyboard. So such sensor doesnā€™t need as big movement as standard motion sensors, but still - it requires some motion. E.g. if you are sleeping without moving (e.g. in deep-sleep) such sensor would not detect your presence.

1 Like

Such presence systems (based on calculations of people moving between rooms or zones) always require a central unit, which makes all the calculations (as data from all the sensors are needed to compile the final values).

You donā€™t have to build it into the ceiling. Itā€™s one of the options (you get recessor in the package), but you can also place it differently.

You can always use a recessed sensor instead of standard one to build it into other objects (ceiling, door frame, etc), so the sensor becomes invisible.