Best indoor Motion Sensor?

Thanks didn’t know about this. Do they need to be on every door? Does it just ‘count you in the room’ or does it detect you all the way. Btw I don’t want to wire my house with usb :wink:

I don’t own them. But I did a research on the internet a few days ago. It detects if you go in or out of a room, that is all but effective if it counts reliable. And this seems to be. Based on this it counts the person in the rooms but you have to install the detector on each entrance of a room.

The show stopper for me are also the cables, the design (dimensions) and the price.

This is also not my cup of tea but I’m glad there are some companies that try a different approach. Motion sensors are great but for many applications not the best.

Me to, but from case to case it is not possible sometimes, sadly.

Just a hint, @Piotr_Grochowski is the developer of the Hiome app… :wink:

A another suggestion but again the Homematic gateway is needed (sorry for that!): A sensor that determines if someone goes through a door into a room.

Maybe this is an idea that can be realized with other sensors.

Thanks for all the tips man! Clearly this is something that doesn’t exist yet. I’ll wait on products that will be directly connected to Homey and without cables :slight_smile:

They work best If they are on every door/passage/zone entry etc. But they don’t have to. In my home I started with just 1 door (bathroom) and then I added next sensors.

You don’t have to wire the house with usb. Recessed sensor uses DC of 5-12V. So I used standard 230V + small 12V power supply (like for LED strips) just near the sensor.

It is mostly, but not always. It sometimes makes mistakes. So I use Homey Flows to compensate the errors. E.g. in some rooms there are some motion sensors left. So if motion is detected and Hiome shows no one I the room → increment the number of persons in such a room to 1. Or if someone turns on a TV in the room. In the other hand if no motion was detected in the hallway for 10 minutes and Hiome shows whole the time that there is someone in there → reset to 0. Such combination works now almost perfect in my home. But it’s always >>almost<< - there is no perfect technology for that yet :frowning:

I am but I’m not connected with that company in any way!
I just came across the problems of motion sensors and I’ve looked for something more reliable… E.g. I always hated the “deactivation” time of the motion sensors. if I go our of a room I want the light to turn off immediately, not after the timer counts to 0… Especially at night, not to wake up other family members.
That’s how I found Hiome - it was before the product was out. When pre-orders were made available I first asked them about the API and when they delivered me the documentation and I was sure I will be able to connect their system to Homey - I preordered it.

I think those money was up to date the best spent by me for any of the smart-home bricks.

I found it before Hiome was out and I was thinking about ordering it. For me the biggest problem of this sensor was that it should be placed on the side of the door/passage. My wife said “No”… :slight_smile:
Another thing I think - when more than 1 person comes through the door - it is impossible to detect that.

I think it would be hard to achieve the same behavior as Homematic’s with other sensors because of the line of sight (too wide for most sensors) and the time of activation/decativation.

I think we have a different idea for a esthetically pleasing setup… but thanks for clearing things up!

Yes, maybe. I prefer all the sensors to be hidden (built-in, recessed, etc.), not to see them at all.

Thats ideal, but not feasable but this is also not my cup of tea. Wiring everything with usb etc. Maybe someday, some company will come up with a device. I’ll wait till then. Thanks

Hi. I have one question. I am very new to smarthome solutions and still learning. I have a couple of Fibaro motion sensors. They work fine, but how do i get them to keep the light on as long as there is motion? I have one in our walk in closet, my wife is about to kill me. The light goes off after 10 min (i set that up), but i assumed it would keep the light on as long as someone was moving in there. I have a Hue sensor in the basement, that works just like i want. If there is movement, the light is on. What am I doing wrong?

Did you check this topic?

I know this is an old topic but from personal experience these generic Chinese 433mhz PIR have been brilliant. I have them installed all around my property…

I’ve found them to be fairly accurate and responsive …

Rarely experience any false triggers…

Are battery operated. I’d say they will probably last about 3+ years (maybe more) before needing a battery change going by other 433Mhz PIRs ive used in the past. They draw bugger all power and have a VERY large 3 cell battery pack… Most sensors are just one cell…

Show an LED indicator when they are triggered. Good for testing and to also know if batteries are on their way out,

And are really Cheappppppp …

I’ve tried many different models. These just work and are very little fuss in terms of management… I’d highly recommend.

What app do you use to connect these to homey

Sounds like you’re starting the lights off timer when you detect motion? You shouldn’t do that, instead you should start the timer when the motion stops. That way any motion sensor wil work just fine, regardless if they re-trigger on continued motion.

These are my flows for it, temporary location/flow so don’t get confused by the name :wink:

So you don’t pee in the fusebox? Smart! :joy: Flows are right, what is your problem with them them? The grace period between detections?

I want a motion sensor to act more like a pressence sensor. If im on the toilet and after one or two minutes the light turns off even with the hourglass.

I need to move a bit but most of the time it doesnt pick my movement up. So thats frustrating.

I juat want a Light that turns on when I’m there and off when i’m not.

So looking for a Pressence sensor, not a Motion Sensor?
maybe better a switch onder the toilet seat?
Or do you also want to work if you stand?