Getting Started - Logic variables

Hi everyone,

in this tutorial I will tell you about logic variables and you will learn:

• how to create a variable
  • the different kind of variables and;
  • their properties and limitations
  • some uses cases of the different types

First, let’s take a look at what Athom gave us to work with, shall we? In your app, go to the ‘more’ tab and hit ‘logic’. I already have some variables in my app, so my screen looks like this:

You’ll notice I made a blue mark on the printscreen, highlighting three different signs. Those three signs represent the three different types of variables you get in Homey. The types you get are:

• Yes/No
  • Number
  • Text

Before we continue, please remember that the variables in Homey will never be a constant variable. Any flow you create in order to adjust a variable, will alter the state of the variable. I am aware that this might be confusing (for developers/programmers) because the ‘const’ variable in Javascript does not allow for a new value to be assigned. I just learned this recently, don’t judge me.

Yes/No
The first one is the most limited one in terms of capabilities. This variable can only contain the values ‘yes’ or ‘no’. When someone on this forum talks about a boolean, they are talking about this specific variable. This variable basically evaluates to a true or false.
Contrary to what you might expect, because this variable is limited in it’s capabilities, it’s imho the most usefull variable.

This variable is most commonly used for a few things:

• tracking the state of a device
  • tracking whether a flow has run and;
  • stopping that same flow from running again

We’ll dive into that later. Let’s first take a look at the other types

Number
This variable can hold any given number, but will never hold anything other than a number. When I say any given number, I absolutely mean any given number. Of course you can give it the value 1 or 5, but 56479236 is also a possibility. And, as you might know by now, I try to keep positive. But if you’re feeling a bit down, you can always post a negative value, such as -6. Also, if you’re feeling funky, you can get fractional. Try adding a variable with the value 0.25.

adding a variable
You can add a variable by hitting the + sign in the top right corner of the logic screen I pointed out earlier. Just fill in the name, assign a type to the variable and give it an initial value. Great! You just added a variable to your Homey.

If you type 0,25, Homey will automatically adjust this to 0.25. Please keep in mind that you cannot add a percentage, like 75%. Homey will delete the %-sign and you’ll end up with 75. That’s not entirely want you wanted. When you want to use percentages, simply type 0.75. That also happens to be Homey’s way of showing a percentage. Let’s take a look at the volume my Sonos system is currently playing at:

It’s currently playing at 0.07, or 7%.

The number variables come in handy when calculating (but you already guessed that), which allows us to:

• track (and sometimes set) values such as light intensity, volume, battery level and energy usage
  • track weather conditions (temperature, pressure, humidity, luminosity and such) and act upon these conditions
  • create a fictious state and track it

We can perform almost every mathematic trick with these variables you might need in your search for home automation. I will give a few examples later to demonstrate. Let’s first talk about the last type of variable. And if you’re a more experienced Homey user, I recommend that you install the ‘better logic’ app created by Patrick Sannes:

Text variables
These variables are quite versitale, in the sense that they can hold just about any value. You’ll generally want to use this variable in order to store and re-use a piece of text, but you can also store numbers in this variable. Some common ways of using this type is:

• Date & time (yes, the date and time are not stored in a number variable)
  • General description of the weather (e.g. clouds)
  • Artist, album and track information (from Spotify or similar)
  • The trashcan reminder https://apps.athom.com/app/com.trashchecker
  • storing a URL

You probably want to dive into those use cases! But first, let’s see what type of cards you get in the different parts of a flow (remember, we have the ‘when’, ‘and’ and ‘then’ part). Or just skip this and scroll down to the use cases part, that’s cool to.

when
There are two different triggers:

• When a variable has changed
  • When a webhook was received

The latter is somewhat more difficult and will perhaps be subject of another tutorial. For now, just remember that a changing variable is a trigger. This can be any of the variable types (text, number and boolean). I don’t expect people to use this often, because changing a variable is typically something you do using flows. So whatever you want to automate when a variable has changed, you can generally also add to the ‘when’ part of the original flow that changed to variable. There are some situation in which this can be used, but I feel that’s a bit to specific for this tutorial.

and
This where it get’s interesting. Take a look at the different cards avaible in this part in your own language. They roughly translate to:

• variable is exactly…
  • variable is yes
  • variable contains…
  • variable is lower than…
  • variabel is higher than…
  • Proceed with a chance of…
  • A variable is equal to…
  • An equation/comparison is true
  • webhook status equals to

Again, the last card is related to webhooks and not part of this tutorial. In this part of the flow, you can let the flow evaluate one or more variables. The possibilities are endless! Apart from the standard comparions such as variable is true or false, variable is higher than / lower than or variable is equal to, you can also add chance to the equation!

I strongly recommend you open each card and test it a few times, to get a better understanding of what the card does. Also, you can compare a variable you created and calculated yourself with other tags just chilling somewhere in Homey’s globe.
I’m taking a small chuck out of the ‘use cases’ here, but imagine you have a few humidity sensors in your living room. As soon as you enter the room, you can let Homey calculate the average humidity (your own variable), compare it to the outdoor humidity (Homey’s variable, just chillin’, like I said before) and let Homey tell you to open up a window. But only when it’s not yet opened (window door sensor). Take a minute to let this sink in, while I get another coffee for the next part.

then
Okay, last one before we go to the use cases. In the then part, you can set the variables to a desired value, using on of the following cards:

• Set a text variable
  • Set a number variable
  • Calculate a number variable
  • Set a yes/no variable
  • toggle a yes/no variable
  • Send a webhook

I don’t need to explain why I’m not mentioning the last card, do I?
So these cards are all pretty self explanatory. Naturally, the yes/no variable is the only variable that can toggle, because it knows what it should toggle to. Because the other variable have multiple outcomes, they cannot toggle. Makes sense, doesn’t it? The most interesting one is the calculate card. Open one in a test flow, you’ll see something like:

I’ll explain this one for you. As the grey text explains, you will need to place you calculation inside these bad boys { and }. Wich will make it look like {{Test 1 + Test 2}}. Don’t ask me why they require two of them on either side, I simply don’t know. Perhaps someone can explain this in the comments.

The top line (Choose an item) is the variable which will get the outcome assigned to it. I made three number variables, test 1 (5), test 2 (15) en test 3 (-6). In this example, we’ll set the first line to test 3. We want test 3 to be the outcome of test 1 and test 2 added up. So in the second line, which reads ‘Waarde’ (‘Value’ in English), we type {{. We then click on the tag on the right hand side of the screen and select the test 1 variable. Next, we hit the + button. We click the tag again and add test 2. We finalize this by closing the calculation with }}. Your card should read:

And that’s it. You can also multiply *, divide /, substract -, or use figures instead of tags. If I want to know what the volume of Sonos is, but I want 7 as a result instead of 0.07, you can simply set the variable to {{Sonos volume * 100}}. Try to discover other ways of calculating and post any questions in the comments.

Some important things to keep in mind when calculating:
a) Please keep in mind that you shouldn’t use spaces in the calculation. In your flow-card, it’ll sometimes be hard to see if you used a space when also using tags, as Homey automatically leaves some space before or after tags. Just remember, if your flow isn’t working, check it for spaces first
b) Credits go to @JPe4619 for pointing this out. Homey has a ‘round’-function, which automatically rounds the outcome of your calculation. This can come in handy when you need an exact figure to set the luminance of your lights, but as you go, you’ll find a lot of other ways this can be of use. How to use it? Just type round() and put whatever it is you want to see rounded in between the ( and the ). See the screenshot @JPe4619 made in his post below.

use cases
Let’s discuss some use cases of the different types of variables, which might give you some inspiration to use variables in your Homey and could even solve some problems.

Boolean

• Tracking the state of a device
    Unfortunately, there is no IP app for one of my tv’s. So homey doesn’t know whether it’s on or off (I do have a Chromecast as you might remember from another tutorial, but I sometimes watch without using the chromecast, unlike Grumpy). I solved this by adding a wall plug with energy measurement. Now, when the energy reaches a certain level, Homey flips the boolean to yes, which tells me the tv is on. It also turns it off when the energy reaches zero. I used this to alter the behaviour of the lights in the room. You can probably imagine I used the ‘a variable is true’ card in the ‘and’ part of a flow to accomplish this.

• tracking whether a flow has run and stopping it from running again
    So, I got a flow which runs when the zone ‘ground floor’ is actived. This flow tells us whether we need to take out the trash (and which type of trash). We don’t want that flow running every time the ground floor is activated. We could try to finetune this by only letting it run between 6.00 and 7.00 in the morning. But that will still let the flow run multiple times and is not always accurate. It’s easier to make a boolean (‘trash’) and let Homey set it to ‘no’ when my alarm goes off (if you don’t have that operational yet, you could also choose a time like 2.30 in the night/morning). As soon as someones walks into the living room, he/she hears what trash needs to be taken out on that day ánd Homey sets the boolean to yes. This requires the boolean to be both a condition in the ‘and’ part of the flow (and ‘trash’ is no) and a action in the ‘then’ part (then set the boolean ‘trash’ to yes).

number
I will not address the first (track (and sometimes set) values such as light intensity, volume, battery level and energy usage) and second (track weather conditions (temperature, pressure, humidity, luminosity and such) and act upon these conditions) here, because, well… I got other things to do, okay?

• create a fictious state and track it
    This is the most interesting one of the three anyway. If you get this, you’ll get the other two for sure. A simple use case is a good one, so here it goes. I create a number variable called ‘screensaver’ which increments with 1 every few hours or so. So, the variable starts at 0, after a few hours it jumps to 1. A few hours later it hits 2 and so on. This is what you could call a fictious state, because every number represents the type and color of Homey’s ledring. I like the ledring, but having the same thing every hour of every day is just boring. So, I created a flow which increments the variable and several flows which links the number to a screensaver. I also let Homey set the number back to 0 after it reaches 9, so it’s a loop which keeps repeating. I can obviously intervene whenever I like by adjusting the number. Nothing special, but a good example of a fictious state.

You can also calcute the average temperature / humidity / luminosity of a specific room and let Homey heat up the room, tell you to open a window or open the blinds/turn on the lights with the same concept.

text

• Date & time (yes, the date and time are not stored in a number variable)
    I created new variables which store the day and month in Dutch, rather than English. It’s nice that Homey can tell me it’s 2-11-2019 today, but it’s even better when he says it’s ‘zaterdag 2 november’. And yes, Homey can pronounce the text which you stored in a variable, no problemo! So I simply let Homey change the variable for the day every night and the variable for the month every first of the month, around midnight.

• General description of the weather (e.g. clouds)
    You can also use this to translate the weather conditions to your own language (I did!). A disadvantage with this, is that you need to let Homey run a flow every x seconds/minutes. I preferably only let Homey run a flow when it really needs to run one (when a trigger is received). The ‘when’-card in the logic section which reads ‘a variable has changed’, however, does not work for tags, only for variables. So this is currently the only option.

• storing a URL
    Perhaps the best way of using a text variable. Let’s say you have a few old tablets just laying around, catching dust. Or let’s say you got more money than your spouse can ever spend and you decide to buy a lot of tablets. You can use a wallmount to hang those tablets all around your house. Why? Because @Rocodamelshekima and @DaneedeKruyff made an awesome dashboard, that’s why! See: Homeydash.com, a Homey dashboard You can simply get your URL once, store it in a variable and use it for every tablet in your house. That prevents you from typing the same URL every time you change something. And trust me, once you get automating, you’ll change a thing or two. It just makes life easier! This can also help you switch between different URL’s when casting them to a tv or Google Nest Hub more easily.

Did I miss something? Sawe somes mystakes in mine Englysk? Would you like to get a beginner tutorial on a different subject? Just hit reply and I’m sure it’ll be fixed before you can say: 'Home automation with Homey, using the BEGINNER tutorials from Neuron, is easy!.

Happy flowing!

48 Likes

Awesome Tutorial @Neuron44

1 Like

Maybe it could be helpful, to add a description for the “round” function, often needed after a calculation, to limit the number of decimals? like:

1 Like

Good idea, I will try to add it this evening, if and when I find the time.

1 Like

Made a short adition to the OP. I feel like your post is pretty self explanatory so no need to add a lot of infomation, but let’s see if any questions arise.

1 Like

@Neuron44
I am trying to use a variable to cast an audio url to my chromecasts. Have stored the URL in a txt variable. If I make an flow that run’s the variable in the card “cast a geluidsURL” and add the tag with variabele URL nothing happens. The URL is right because if I put the hole URL in the card it works. Am I doing something wrong here?

Have you checked your URL and the message in the card for any (accidentally) added spaces (spacebar)?

URL is right, but will play with it sometime in a holiday when I have more time.
Do you use any flow that streams an audioURL stored in a variabele to a chromecast group? Because I think the chromecast app is also not very stable without restart every 3h.

This works for me! Maybe be course it’s started from another Flow?

@JPe4619 gonna try that when I have some spare time…thanks

Hi,

Many thanks for explaining this subject, very helpful in understanding this subject. The examples gives you a clou what can be done. I’m still in the KAKU modus where on/off was my main option.

Grtz,. Hans

Thanks @Neuron44 for this manual for Logic!

I have a question. I make week number calculated by logic. Every monday at 0:01 WeekNr. variable invreases by 1.

I want to make automations based on week number like this: Do something on thuesay at week 40 and 43 and 45 and 46 and so on. No exact logic behind numbers.

At the beginning of the year I have approx 25 week numbers to handle.

Is there any chance to use logic for this without 25 flows? I’ve tried to add multiple values at And…

“WeekNr. is exactly 40,43,45,46” or

“WeekNr. is exactly 40;43;45;46” or

“WeekNr. is exactly 40/43/45/46”

No success.

Have a look at HomeyScript.

Or maybe the icalcalendar app?

I don’t see an easy way to achieve this using only logic. I think @JPe4619 is right and HomeyScript or an Ical-calender is better suited for this.

If there was a logic behind the weeks you want the flow to work, there might be another way to do it. Could you tell more about when you want the flow to trigger?

I suggest that you look into the app JavaScript Logic function:
Check if specified value is equal to one of the values in an array

1 Like

I am a beginner, so maybe my question is stupid, but I cannot yet find the answer.
I have made a flow that if a movement sensor goes off, I receive a push notification. This works fine, however if I want to add either the Tag Zone or equipment then the flow does not work anymore (grays out). Can anyone explain what I am doing wrong?

Thx in advance

Not sure what you mean, but perhaps this explains the ‘grey’ icon?

Could you share your flow with us?

When the green arrow grays out does not mean the flow is not workin anymore but it means that the flow cannot be started by tipping the arrow, this is because there is a value needed for this flow.

1 Like

This is the flow. I tested on an text variable but it does nothing, only if I test but further it is not triggered.

If I remove the tag “naam” it works, but not anymore if I add it

In that case, you are using a ‘local’ tag. A tag which depends on the motion sensor which has been triggered.

Example: You have 15 motion sensors, one of them is in your attic, called ‘Attic motion sensor’. This flow will trigger, regardless of which motion sensor detects motion. The flow however needs to know which local tag is being used. When the flow is being triggered because motion is detected (the normal route), it receives that information, meaning the name-tag will contain ‘Attic motion sensor’.

When you however try to ‘test’ the flow using the test button, it can’t complete, since the flow has no way of knowing which motion sensor has triggered. Therefore it also doesn’t know which name to add to the variable.

Basically what @JPe4619 said. Or as explained by @Caseda explained in the post I linked above. I hope this clarifies things :slight_smile: