Aqara Zigbee sensors

The Homey Matter implementation seems getting better and better.
My Home Assistant is now switched off.
I switched today but do not have the Aqara, but my Hue motion sensors are finally very fast.

1 Like

@Rrrr

I never really know what to make of these threads.

I use zigbee, thread, wifi and zwave across three generations 16,19,23. And I have never experienced the issues that others have.

Is the device fundamentally flawed and 100,000 people not speaking about it - or is it a localised user fault?

Perhaps my expectations are just different, I understand that the hue sensors “poll” and that’s why I used the hue app for instant results for single hue motions sensor I have. But more importantly 99% of my motion sensors are zwave which doesn’t have this issue.

There are literally dozens of motion sensors available which don’t have this delay issue that the hue has) and there are two work around (direct zigbee & use hue app).

If you have been waiting since 2016 (at this point 8 years) and it upsets you so much that your thinking about “class actions” zzzz maybe it’s just time to try one of the simple work around, or just dump the $30 hue sensor and move on with your life.

Alternatively if setting up a new HA and linking it to homey is something you feel is a valuable use of your time (rather then replace the $30 sensor) then as Nike say … just do it.

Regarding the idea that Hone automation is for nerds … “duh” obviously.

Anyway curious has anyone added their hue devices via matter? And if so did that also have the polling issue or does it solve it?

@Jamie
Not sure what you mean to achieve with your post other than the question at the end, but let’s stay objective here. I guess we are both fans of Homey, but I cannot accept that a number of seemingly simple reported issues take so much time to improve and apparently you do not even see the problem because you have different use cases or devices. So what’s the point of your post?

1. Indeed, as you know clearly, one of the complaints concerns the Hue app polling implementation for motion. Now resolved with Matter.
  2. I have 21 Hue sensors built up over time, not just one, and five z-wave motion/door sensors I had were even slower (previous Homey models 2016/2019) or used more battery. Except for range limitation the Hue motion sensors are great.
  3. Not that long. I haven’t been using motion sensors from the beginning, but the “simple workaround” was HA. I just did it, but that is not acceptable or possible for most Homey users who expect Homey to work as advertised. Very surprising to keep seeing so many posts referring to HA on a Homey forum, isn’t it?
  4. I have no problems with my just 50 z-wave devices. In fact the HP2023 improved the z-wave even further and it is very stable. But my case (or your) case was not the point of my old post.
  5. Class action was a word play to draw attention from Athom to the issues faced by a group of people, nothing more.
  6. I am in contact with (excellent) Athom support people to get an issue defined with a Google Home integration that does not sync well. Happy to have your contribution if you face an issue as well

The post is clear :

1. That the “problem” is with the offical hue API … not the athom.
  2. You can use other devices as this issue isolated to a single device.
  3. You can use the hue app, to trigger items (such as lights which need an immediate response)
  4. You can use the zigbee app it doesn’t have this issue
  5. You can use a HA hybrid solutions
  6. You can use matter

The post was to point out (off the top of my head) 5 solutions that you are having with a hue device … in a thread about Aqara Zigbee Sensors

So that we can get back on topic.

Point taken… :rofl:

Nope, Athom uses an outdated polling API, while the Hue API has supported instant (push) updates for years now.

3 Likes