[APP][Pro] WhatsApp - Simple. Reliable. Private

Hey @mralbert
:uk: please :sweat_smile:

Yes thats correct. Because normally when you send a message to a group you also dont receive a notification.

So solution can be: get a free prepaid at Vodafone. Download whatsapp business on your phone and configure the prepaid number as a Homey number :slight_smile:

@Victor_Bicknese did you prefix them with +31?

Their is an international standard for phone nr’s
Its called E164 standard , every country and service provider is using them.

Just my 2 cents

1 Like

@MarcoV nice thanks, will look into that! :smiley:

@martijnpoppen amazing work, just installed and was not even aware it was such a recent release, thanks a ton for the hard work!
Direct messages are working like a Blizz, will make use of the workaround via a second number though;
Group Messages are not working for me yet, seems like an encryption issue? Messages get sent and are readable by others but are not readable by myself “waiting for this message this may take a while”.

Also more like a general question, how does it work? considering the app gets access to all my messages I am curious whats the process behind it? Or do you basically have this open source client running on a Webserver and the homey-app is directly connecting to it?

Thanks a lot Martijn :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Hey @Flyto
Thanks!

Yeah saw the group message message today as well.
I pushed a fix for it in the server.

So the library i use has the capability of reading messages and act on that. But i removed that all from this integration.
Because it will consume a lot of resources / you’ll always shown as online / its not a good idea to do this on a cloud based instance.

During development i ran this integration natively on my Homey. Which worked fine on a HP19 but immediately crashed on a HP23.

For the data and authentication:

• Homey connects to the server
  • the server has the whatsapp client running
  • the server send any data that has to be saved immediately to the store on your Homey
  • before every message the server initializes the client for your Homey
  • after sending the message the client is destroyed again.
  • the data stays on your Homey during that process
  • the sharing of data between server and client is done via a authenticated API with a JWT token and cannot be read by me.

Hope this gives enough info :smiley:

2 Likes

Amazing, I just set up another number with WhatsApp-Business so now my apartment has its own WhatsApp account (lmao). That works amazingly well.

Great to hear you have a fix for the group message thing.

library capabilities: that makes a lot of sense, got it!
Any explanation why it worked well on the HP19 but not on the HP23? (shouldn’t the newer one be more powerful? :woozy_face:)

Also thanks a ton for taking the time to shine some light into the process, I think this will be relevant for a lot of people to give some peace of mind, so I really appreciate it :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I wish i knew. Really couldnt find it and it drove me crazy. This app already started in June. So i spent many hours and then decided to put it in the cloud.

My only guess that it has to do with virtualization on HP23 which HP19 doesn’t have

Still with one phone number connected on HP19 it was running at 45 MB ram. And 2 numbers on 65MB.

On HP23 it immediately spiked to CPU and Mem warnings and crashed in a couple of seconds :frowning:

1 Like

I bet it did, I can imagine the rabbit-hole tour :woozy_face:

Maybe Athom will fix it sometime, must be a firmware issue for sure but thats some behavior I have seen with the Unifi App as well, completely crashed my Homey.
Do you think having it running in the cloud will be sustainable with increasing amounts of users? :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Yeah its really smooth until now and this app almost has 400 users :wink:

Still running on a low tier instance so enough room to scale up.

But as long as i can keep it on a low tier it will keep the costs down as well :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

that’s what I thought, sounds costly for something that should theoretically also be able to run locally. Maybe Athom can figure out whats going on…

2 Likes

@Flyto Already checked with them :wink:

1 Like

New app update (LIVE: 1.14.1):

Changelog:

NEW:
1: NEW: remove QR and use Code to pair with Whatsapp
2: NEW: use E.164 standard to validate phone numbers (Thanks for the tip @MarcoV ! :+1: )

FIXES:
1: FIX: pairing code stuck on pairing code screen
2: FIX: group links
3: FIX: message not sending due to client destroyed after previous message (debounce added)

If you find any issues, send a report via the mobile homey app

More - apps - Whatsapp - settings wheel right top - send diagnostic report (put your email in the input field to make it easier)

2 Likes

Yep, same format as mine number.

@Victor_Bicknese see update above. It should be fixed :wink:

HP2023

After filling in my phone number 97xxxxxxxxxx
I get

@Rrrr Which country?

New app update (TESt: 1.14.4):

Changelog:

NEW:
1: NEW: Use Whatsapp Locally instead of Server

FIXES:
1: none

If you find any issues, send a report via the mobile homey app

More - apps - Whatsapp - settings wheel right top - send diagnostic report (put your email in the input field to make it easier)

1 Like

@Flyto You might want to check the above release :wink:
It doesn’t depend on a server.

If you check it can you let me know the memory usage? :smiley:

With 14.4.4 I get to the stage where I can fill in the generated 8 digit code, but when I enter these in WhatsApp it doesn’t finish “Inloggen” status.

(with the v14.4.3 I also got $tmpl.login_credentials.invalid_credentials)

UPDATE:

It did work when trying to add a new WhatsApp ‘system’ using the Web Gui…
After entering the 8 digits in WhatsApp on my phone I got the confirmation screen on Homey Web App…

1 Like