[APP][Pro] SolarEdge + Growatt TCP modbus

weird. they are still current and maybe you can ask solaredge , they handle support tickets really well.
maybe it is some option on higher versions of hd wave or you are just missing some update.

1 Like

I will, thanks!

The support chat of SolarEdge updated my inverter remotely within a few minutes. Now I have Modbus TCP and the app is working like a charm! :smiley:

2 Likes

Good advice @Edwin_Biemond and perfect follow-up @Maurice! For sure the guys from Growatt are losing kudos each day with this kind of support!

Enjoy the App

2 Likes

Hello all, first many thanks for a app that can make my energy transition a reality.
However I’m not able to make the app work.

Situation

• SE10K inverter

• No solaredge inline meter

• I have enabled modbus like described and did a power cycle.
    checked the settings after the power cycle and these are ok. Please note I only changed RS485-2 I left RS485-1 unchanged.

• I also have HA running and it is already using the modbus connection. I have read on the internet the Inverter only accepts one connection? HA shows the correct power output every ten seconds or so.

• No problems adding the devide through the app. No error messages, just no data.

• App version 3.0.37 Homey early 2019 firmware 8.1.6

edit:
disabling the HA VM did the trick. Problem is solved.

yeah indeed , I am not blocking but others are . I will lock it for 5 seconds or so and release it again.

Hello Edwin, (with batt you can see consumption when you have only meters installed.) . I have no battery. But I have put the SolarEdge 3phases. But I don’t see the consumption in the app. On the other hand, I can see well in the SolarEdge App.

hey, batt is no requirement for this. I will detect it if you a have battery. So if you have meters installed then can show you the consumption and provide you extra flows to reduce import/export.
so use solaredge device when you don’t have meters or storedge (batt) , if you have meters use the solaredge / storedge device.

Maybe old news for some, but I use Shelly EM3 (€120) to monitor consumption. I just activated my new solar panels today so history is limited.

The Shelly shows my net production is 12.5kW (According to the SolarEdge modbus the Inverter is producing 15021W so the house is using 2.5kW).

1 Like

Hi @Edwin_Biemond for some reason my Solardedge Inverter is no longer updating values in my Homey app.

What I tried;
Reinstall the app on my Homey, also tried the test app
Disable and enable again the modbus TCP in my inverter
Powercycle the inverter
Reboot Homey and restart app several times
I can ping my inverter just fine, but i cannot telnet to port 1502. Dont know if I was able to do this before.

Bit lost atm, this has happend since yesterday 14:00. Any clue?

Thanks in advance!

Sorry to interrupt, you might found a solution already. In any case, use port 502.

Pretty convinced that only port 502 operates correctly.

EDIT: The settings of the tile within the web-interface of the HP needs to be configured with;
LAN ip address, Port 501 and ID #1

Check->

Thanks for your answer, I did change everything to port 502 but it does not help. I will try to find an powerline adapter this afternoon and see if its will work then because i have read some messages that maybe modbus is blocked over wifi.

Not sure if I understand you correctly but first to make sure, is the LAN IP address of the inverter still the same, hence is it fixed - reserved by the router based on the MAC address or fixed address (no DHCP)?

EDIT: I found out that if the IP address is reserved fixed by router, sometime the traffic on some ports did not pass. To avoid this use no dhcp and config LAN ip of inverter fixed if possible.

You indicated that the inverter is pingable, that should confirm that you are using the correct LAN setting without the SolarApp. That said, I’ve connected the modbus LAN bridge UTP wired. pretty sure this bridge is available with wifi (reference in this conversation somewhere) With that you should be able to put the MOD signal over wifi. Can you explain the setup more precise when functioning correctly?

EDIT: Something like this:

In my Unifi USG I can see the IP is correct and reserved. For some reason the port closed at 13:06 2 days ago. I changed nothing network wise on my end and the Modbus app was working just fine for months. I thought I have an UTP connection available as wel but I dont see it. I think I have to open the inverter to find that? If there is one I could try using a powerline adapter to get network over my electrical network. Just tried again to change the port but it simply stays closed. Not sure what the best strategy is now. Tracing back my steps i do see that i was logged on to the SolarEdge monitoring portal when the issue occured. Maybe there was a firmware update triggered? Not sure

Hey, did you get some unifi update? if you get an inverter update it will be an improvement and modbus over wifi should work then.

so remove the device on the app and do some port scanning, port 502 or 1502 should be open on that ip, check if inverter has really this ip. sometimes with fixed dhcp ip, it still goes wrong.
also other progs besides homey can claim this port and kick out homey.

thanks

Hi Guys, thanks for your answers, much appreaciated! Indeed I updated my unifi controller last week. And with fixed i ip meant the ‘fixed ip’ checkmark in the Unifi console which still means DHCP for the inverter. This afternoon I am working from home and will have some time to test and set a real static IP. Will update if i find out something else.

For wifi i dont seem to have an option for STATIC, only for the LAN connection which is not connected atm. Do I need to take of the cap to see the LAN connector?

just remove the device from homey and check with some port scanner if the port is up. if so check if homey can reach it. vlan and firewall rules etc

Tried it all off course, but no luck. About to give up :frowning: It’s on the same network. Also tried creating a different network on the closest AP and connect to that. What ever I try port 1502/502 never seems to open up anymore. Really strange!

According to some documentation I found and already lost again, the connection to the TCP-Modbus must be done within the first few minutes after activating this option in the inverter. So I recommend doing the following:

• Set a fixed IP/Gateway for your inverter, preferable directly on your inverter.
  • Deactivate the TCP-Modbus via SetApp and restart your inverter. Check that it is deactivated.
  • Prepare the app in Homey. Make sure IP, port and device ID are correct.
  • Activate the TCP-Modbus on the inverter and immediately(!) afterwards activate the app in Homey.

Hope this helps.