[APP][PRO] Smart Presence

I got a feature request: having two (or more) IP addresses per user. For some reason I need to change my Wifi settings on iPhone between private/non-private regularly and this comes always with an IP change. In order to accommodate this I need to create a 2nd user. Having the option of 2 (or more) IPs for one user would be more convenient.

Trying to understand why that should result into two known IP adresses.

You mean you have to connect to an other vlan & SSID to go to private mode? That is independent of your IP address. Or did you set an other DHCP range to the other vlan?

Or does the pivate mode of your phone change your Wifi MAC address to a random one? Then you end up with a random DHCP IP address

no, it’s the same wifi but for some reason I sometimes need to switch non-private/private and get an new IP on the same network

Sorry no iphone here.
Why do you want/need a new IP address?
Did you reserve an IP for your phone on your router, or did you enter an IP at the wifi connection settings (the first way is adviced)?

I get the new IP from the router once I switch from one mode to the other, though these 2 IPs are stable

Okay, got that. I agree more than 1 IP per user could come in very handy with this app.
I’m only still curious why you have to switch your phone sometimes to p/np.
Is it b/c you lose connection? Can’t you switch from wifi to 4G and back?
If you really intend/need to go to private mode that’s an other scenario I think

I can’t tell this odd behavior started with a recent iOS update

Getting a bit off-topic, but switching private reconnects the WiFi. So hitting the WiFi button twice does the same.

On topic , I can’t think of a good reason to have two ip’s addressing the same device. Maybe a wired device which sometimes changes to WiFi but still only theoretical.

The Q was ‘per user’. Idk the details, but f.i. having two smartphones is a real life situation and comes in handy when you are identified when either device is detected

this doesn’t work for me for some reason [it has to do with 2.5/5 GHz]. but as you said aside from my issue 2 or more IPs/user would be great.

Heeyy Guys,

Also loving Smart Presence for quite some time. One of the apps that has been installed from the beginning of having a Homey :slight_smile:

But I also have some issues lately. My personal feeling is that this behavior started after i had to replace my providers Fritzbox 6490 for a 6660 Router after a lightning strike.

Since then I am having the issue that when I come home and wifi on the phone was still on and I come home and receive my fixed IP (Reserved in Router) on my iPhone 12 Pro Max (with multiple tested iOS versions) that Smart Presence doesn’t seem to trigger my homecoming flows. I just experienced it when coming home. I checked the IP which was correctly assigned. The Private IP setting has been disabled for this network. The flows don’t trigger at that moment.

I have waited for more then 2 minutes and the setting for SP is checking every 4 seconds. When I only disable and enable WiFi and receive the same IP address then SP detects it correctly within the 4 second window. And the flows are triggered correctly then. Im on 5Ghz and have also tested 2.4Ghz. Tested with WPA3 on and off but this didn’t make a difference.

Anyone have a clue why they don’t trigger when coming home with the wifi still on? It’s also not always that this scenario happens but definatly for 80% of the time I come home.

Good weekend for all!

Hi Robb,
Just to compare behaviour, if it’s the SP app or something else, you could try the NetScan app. It just detects if your phone is connected to your wifi or not.
Works flawless with my android.
Btw, while some folks get nervous reading the word ‘android’: I have nothing against iphones. I just happen to have an android and can’t test this with an iphone

Yes, it is connected to wifi when I come home. And I receive the correct IP. But when I go away for some time and I return home I get the same IP again but SP doesn’t seems to detect it correctly. When I disable wifi and enable it I get the IP again and then SP detects it and all the flows run correctly.

It feels like when I move out of reach of my wifi it keeps the IP at hand and doesn’t refresh the IP correctly when I come back. Like it keeps looking at an old lease of the IP address.

I created a screenrecording from my phone to see what happens when coming home. You can see that Heimdall triggers an alarm because SP doesn’t detect my phone but you can see that it’s connected to wifi. And it’s the correct wifi in case you might wonder.

Dropbox Homey Smart Presence detection

Hopefully someone has had similar issues and solved them or if not, I’d be interested in looking further onder the hood of SP.

Good weekend guys!

Have you checked this post?

Yes, I had this setting already disabled for my WiFi networks.

Anyone else have an idea?

@balmli

Would it be possible to analyze a Diagnostic Report created from the SP app settings to trace the issue I’m having?

Hi, thanks for this great app!

But it is possible to give a person 2 IP addresses without adding a extra person?

Because my phone uses sometimes 2,4ghz and sometimes 5ghz. It’s a different IP address.

Thanks!

No, just 1 IP address is supported per “device”.

Try to set the same MAC address on both 2,4GHz and 5GHz connections. Then your phone receives the same IP address from your router @ both SSID’s (IF you reserved that MAC address @ DHCP IP reservations)

Good idea, but how :confused:

Where do you find this settings?