[APP][Pro] SMA Solar devices

Hello,

If you have this homey app, is there any point in having/buying a “sunny home manager 2.0” if you have for example the “Sunny Tripower Smart Energy” inverter? What would be the additional benefits? Or is it needed to be able to talk to the inverter?
Thanks!

I’m not familiar with your “Sunny Tripower Smart Energy” inverter. But if you can measure your total consumption and your power feed in somehow alreadsy, then you don’t need the “sunny home manager 2.0”.
Normally, with just the inverter, the problem is that you see how many energy your solar panels produce, but you don’t know how many power you use and how many power you feed-in. If you would like to know this, you have to install the SHM 2.0.

2 Likes

Guys, I’ve a problem and I don’t know where I should start with troubleshooting.

I’m using an external matrix display (Ulanzi Smart Pixel clock) in my kitchen to show the power information about my power usage, feed in etc. provided by my SHM 2.0 and two SMA Tripower Inverters. I don’t really know since when the issue persists, but the problem is that after a few minutes one of my two “SMA Tripower” Inverters is showing nothing anymore in the homey app. So the inverter tells my nothing anymore or 0 for (I’m guessing) 1 polling interval - after that everything comes back normal for some time. What I already tried was to lower (2s) and lift (10s) the polling interval. But the issue was the same.

Here is the error which the SMA app shows under Debug:

Any hints what it could be? It happens always, even during night without any solar production. The point is, if the inverter shows 0, my calculation on the display is completely wrong which is quite irritating.

I do see that homey (192.168.20.203) tries to read modbus register 30771 (192.168.20.182) on one of the inverters, but homey doesn’t get any answer for more 10 seconds

. This happens on both SMA tripower inverters and all 4-5 minutes or so… I’m I alone with this issue? Any hints how to fix this?

EDIT: seems that people with other Home Automation software have similar issues… Modbus issues - values can be read but log full of errors - #52 by sonave - Bindings - openHAB Community

This summer I will change to a dynamic tariff plan, with energy prices changing every hour. With negative prices, I will turn off the solar inverters.

Is there a difference in limiting the inverter output to 0 with Homey, and stopping the inverter via the internal webserver?

Who has made a flow that switches off or limits the SMA Solar inverter depending on de electricity price?

I have a TL9000 and the Homey SMA app shows a card that allows power reduction. SMA documentation is typical German style and a nightmare to read and to determine if this hurts the inverter or not.

If this is possible it should be easy to limit power upload to the grid at peak moments and challenge the delivery fine that is being discussed now.

So I am looking for actual experience using the power reduction card on SMA inverter via Homey. Does it really work and how much reduction is possible?

Yes, this works. If I limit it to 0, it shows around 40W. I just asked (post above) if it would be possible to turn off the inverter, instead of limiting, so have to wait for that.

In the meantime, 40W is better than 8000W of energy prices are negative.

1 Like

That would be great!

I was looking a bit further and found SMA Power Control Module https://www.solarmarkt.ch/herstimg/30-Wechselrichter_Zubehoer/SMA_Zubehoer/MA_EN_SMA_PWCBRD-10.pdf.

https://www.sma-benelux.com/kenniscentrum/tech-tips-voor-de-installatie/dynamische-vermogensregeling/omvormers-aansturen-met-de-power-control-module

I am unclear if this is default installed or is even needed for the STP 9000TL-20 out of the box.

Hey there! Is there any possibility to initiate charging of via sma tripower connected battery? I have added the inverter to my homey pro and I am getting the battery-stats like condition an SOC. But I am missing to tell the inverter to load the battery. Using the SMA Sunnyportal (https://www.sunnyportal.com/) I am able to tell the Inverter to start charging in certain time-slots, but I really would like to charge it automatically depending on the current price of tibber.

I’d say check out the Power by the Hour app!
It can, amongst many other things, control stuff based on Tibber / energy prices.

1 Like

I did, it worked perfectly yesterday :grinning: I have a flow that when prices drop below 0 it puts the SMA inverter to 0. I was only hoping that the developer could add an option to put it back to 100% instead of having to put a specific number in.

So another flow when prices go above 0,00 then turn it back on (i just set it to 10000 for now since 100% is not an option). Hopefully @Richard_B can add that in some way :grinning: Thx!

PS. I use the Power by the hour app to get current prices.

1 Like