[APP][PRO] Samsung Wireless Audio Multiroom

If you can’t access that page from the browser then the Homey probably can’t either.

Have you checked the Wi-Fi settings on your soundbar?

I have got the soundbar found now.
I needed to select the other port 56001.
Now I can make flows with the right input for my Harmony activities.
Thanks.

1 Like

Hi there. I am trying this app with the q90r and most things seem to work ok. I am struggling though with playing an url. Seems to accept it but just no sound. Is there a specific format the url needs to be in.
Thanks Mark

Try this URL:
http://s3.amazonaws.com/smartapp-media/sonos/dogs.mp3

Hi Bjørnar, thanks for your reply. Same result with this url: nothing :wink: Everything else works like volume, input and on/off.

Your q90r is probably so new it does not support that “play url” command.

Can this app function with JBL 5.1 Bar Surround too since JBL is owned by Harman International Industries and subsidiary of Samsung Electronics? Are there some possibilities?

If you could please keep the conversation in English as much as possible, then more people will be able to participate and help you. If you would rather not or can’t communicate in English then please check out Non-English boards/catregories:
https://community.homey.app/c/non-english

Your question though is like asking if a (branded) television remote control can function on another television cause they are both televisions… (tip: the chance is very, very small)

Hi i installed the APP and it works fine.
I use it mainly to change the input because the remote has to cycle through all inputs, my logitech harmony hates this and has it often wrong, specially when TV arc function switches the inputs also back.

So i finally got it to work in Homey (it did not auto-detect or found my Samsung HW-Q90R) and i created flows which switch the input to the correct source depending on the harmony activity.

Once added and working i noticed a very strange and unwanted behavior of the app.

When i turn OFF the soundbar (using the original remote or logitech harmony) it switches back on again after a few second!

I simply cannot turn it off anymore, but when i turn it off using this app it stay off!

To test i turned it on/off again and again it turns automatically back on again…
I then disabled the app in homey completely and turned it off again and to my big surprise now the bar stays off.

So as soon as i turn OFF the soundbar outside the app the app switches the soundbar back on again.
This is a most annoying and unwanted feature/behavior, it should only turn on when i choose it to go on, never by itself.

Is this a (known) bug and can it please be fixed?

Some soundbars have a SetPowerStatus API call, and can be turned on / off. And they also have GetPowerStatus call so the app can see the power state of the soundbar.

If they does not support the Get / Set Power status calls, the app behaves a bit different:

• The app cannot see if the soundbar is on or off
  • The app uses the “Sleep timer” call to turn the soundbar off
  • The soundbar turns automatically on when it gets an API call. This is by Samsungs design… nothing we can do about that…

So when you use the remote or Harmony to turn the soundbar off, the app cannot know that it’s off… and when it gets the next API call it turns back on.

Can you use a flow to turn the soundbar off ?

yes i added a flow now when harmony activy is PowerOff then soundbar Off
But this does not solve the problem when someone controls the bar outside Homey or Logitech Harmony.

But there is also a logic error in your explanation.

The homey app turns the soundbar ON again also when there are NO flows created at all for controlling the soundbar.

So i just added the app, tried if the app buttons work and did NOT create any flows yet!
Turn soundbar off using original remote and then suddenly Homey APP turns it back on again…

I created flows and it did the same, i disabled the flows i created and still the problems stays, only when i disable the whole app then it stops and works normally again.

This does not look like normal behavior, i expect there is somewhere a loop in the code which constantly checks the bar state and if it the actual power state is not the same as the app memory state the app sets the actual state to the memory state…

So in my case the app last remembered power state was ON, then it does a i think a check and notice ‘hey the bar is powered off but according to my memory state it should be powered on’ so it turns it on again…

If that is the case then the statement should be:
Hey the actual state is OFF but my remembered state is ON, i change MY (app) state into OFF (instead of switching the bar on).

I have the exact same problem, with my hw-q950t. Got me headaches and thought there was something wrong with my device, till I discovered it was the app, turning it on again. Didn’t found a solution yet, so I removed the app.

@B3rt @LAW-Mastermind

The app checks the volume and mute state if the soundbar is on (or the app thinks it is on) regularly.

So if the soundbar is actually powered off by the remote, then the app will poll the volume and mute state, which leads to powering the soundbar on.

I understand that this does not work 100% for you.

The thing is, it’s shown as off, for a short time, then gets turned on by the polling.
Couldn’t you stop the polling when the soundbar is off?
Regards

If you read a bit longer up on this page: some soundbars does not support the SetPowerStatus API call…

If you turn the soundbar off with the app or a flow, the app knows that it is off, and the app will stop polling.

no because i control my multimedia with a Logitech Harmony remote.
The harmony turns on/off all devices according the activity you are doing (watch TV = TV on, soundbar on, decoder on; listen radio = soundbar on, tuner on, tv off etc)

Sadly the harmony remote cannot switch sources directly, only cycle through al of them (bt, wifi, D.in, hdmi1, hdmi2) and this way select the correct one. But the TV has hdmi CEC and switches the source of the bar also. So eachtime it is a guess if the logitech has the correct input source…
So i think Homey knows the activity and you got a great app which can select the source directly, so 1+1 = 2 :slight_smile:
I made a flow after homey detects a change of activity of my harmony hub (which is does perfectly) and then let your app switch the correct input source on the bar. BINGO that worked!!
Until i turned everything off…
Then this problem came up, the app switches the soundbar on again…

I solved the problem for now that if activity (powerOff) is executed by harmony then i turn off the soundbar by your app with the command poweroff (and now it stays off)…

But i believe it is unwanted behavior, the app should never turn the soundbar even ON or OFF when this command is not given by you app itself.
The actual live state should always be the default state for the app.

So if someone want to switch the source using your APP and the bar is not turned on yet they should first turn it on with the ON card and then use the INPUT card to switch…

But again, i love the app, i finally (after weeks of frustrating setup problems to get my harmony to get the input correct) got the input working as it suppose to… I could not get it to work without this app!

To solve this issue, I can add a settings so you can turn the polling completely off.

Then the app won’t poll the volume and mute state, but I guess that doesn’t matter for you.

as i already mentioned, i solved my problem by sending the OFF command also using the APP when i receive the activity ‘powerOff’ from the harmony app.

The only thing when this will fail is when Homey does not receive the activity update from the harmony hub

That is not possible because i use a Philips TV.
When i disable hdmi CEC then the following does not work any more:

• i get NO sound from my Philips TV into my soundbar, the TV only uses hdmi-arc when hdmi CEC is enabled. I must use hdmi-arc otherwise i have no dolby atmos (my soundbar and tv both have dolby atmos). The fiber connector is used for my digital radio tuner and does not support dolby atmos, so the only way to get sound into the bar is the hdmi connector.
  • Philips has disabled/removed the option to directly select input (hdm1/2/3 etc), when hdmi cec is disabled i have no option to change the external input at all using a harmony remote. Input selection is only possible using a GUI on the screen (which is dynamic and can change of layout/order) and select it manually when hdmi CEC is disabled, when enabled then the TV switches automatically to the correct input source of the device which is turned on or playing media.

I know it simply sucks but I cannot change it…

I now have to use other methods to switch all my devices and found Homey can help me with this.
For now it seems to work fine, hopefully all manufacturer will update there firmware that all functions finally will work normally so they can use where they where designed for.

Installed the app, manualy added my MS650. volume and input select works, on/off doesn’t. (as described above)