[APP][PRO] Oral-B – Bluetooth toothbrush integration for Homey

Hi everyone! :waving_hand:

I’m happy to introduce Oral-B for Homey, an independent community app that brings compatible Oral-B Bluetooth toothbrushes into Homey Pro. :toothbrush::house:

The app connects directly to your toothbrush using Bluetooth Low Energy and processes the data locally on Homey. No Oral-B cloud account or external service is required.

:toothbrush: What can Homey show?

Depending on your toothbrush model:

  • :stopwatch: Brushing time
  • :toothbrush: Brushing status
  • :green_circle::orange_circle::red_circle: Brushing pressure
  • :gear: Brushing mode
  • :tooth: Brushing sector
  • :battery: Battery level
  • :high_voltage: Charging status
  • :antenna_bars: Bluetooth signal strength
  • :three_o_clock: Last seen

:counterclockwise_arrows_button: Homey Flow

The app also includes Flow cards for events such as:

  • brushing started or stopped;
  • brushing session completed;
  • pressure becoming too high or returning to normal;
  • placing the toothbrush on the charger;
  • removing it from the charger;
  • brushing mode changes;
  • low battery.

Conditions are available to check whether the toothbrush is currently brushing or charging and whether the battery is below a chosen percentage.

:bar_chart: Dashboard widget

A dedicated Homey Dashboard widget is being developed for a future update.

During brushing it will show a large live brushing timer together with information such as pressure, brushing mode, sector and battery level.

:test_tube: Compatibility

The integration has been tested on real Homey Pro hardware with an Oral-B iO-family toothbrush.

Support can vary between models and firmware versions, so feedback from users with other Bluetooth-enabled Oral-B toothbrushes is very welcome.

If you try the app, please share:

  • your Oral-B model;
  • whether pairing works;
  • which readings are available;
  • whether battery and charging are detected correctly;
  • any ideas or suggestions you have. :blush:

:locked: Privacy

Toothbrush data is processed locally on Homey. The app does not require an Oral-B account or external cloud service.

The integration is read-only: Homey reads information from the toothbrush but does not control it.

:inbox_tray: Install

Homey App Store: LIVE

Oral-B | Homey test version

Thanks for trying Oral-B for Homey! Feedback and compatibility reports are very welcome. :raising_hands:

— Mark

Oral-B is a trademark of its respective owner. This is an independent community integration and is not affiliated with or endorsed by Oral-B or Procter & Gamble.

:hot_beverage: Support development

Oral-B for Homey is a free community project. If you enjoy the app and would like to support future development, testing and maintenance, a small donation is always appreciated. :heart:

PayPal: paypal.me/MarioMark1541

Donations are completely optional. The app and its features remain free for everyone.

Hi! Is it still possible to use the Oral-B mobile app while connected to Homey? Or can it only accept one connection at a time?

Great app you’ve created! However, I can’t use it with my Homey SHS and Homey Bridge, even though they Homey bridge has bluetooth. Is this something that might be supported in the future?

Hi! Yes, in principle you can still use the official Oral-B mobile app.

The Homey integration does not keep a permanent Bluetooth connection open. Most brushing data is received from BLE advertisements, and Homey only makes short GATT connections when it needs additional information such as the battery level.

During one of those short connections the official Oral-B app and Homey may occasionally compete for the toothbrush connection, depending on the model and firmware. If you notice that one of them temporarily cannot connect, closing the Oral-B app and trying again should help.

I’ll keep an eye on this as more toothbrush models are tested. :blush:

Thanks! :blush:

This is definitely something I want to investigate. Homey Self-Hosted Server can use a Homey Bridge in Satellite Mode to add Bluetooth LE support, so in theory the hardware side is there.

At the moment I have only tested and validated the Oral-B app on a physical Homey Pro, and the current release is therefore limited to that setup. I don’t want to claim SHS support until I’ve tested how Homey exposes BLE advertisements and short GATT connections through the Bridge to third-party apps.

I’ll look into what changes are needed for SHS + Homey Bridge support. If the Homey SDK exposes everything the app needs through Satellite Mode, I’d definitely like to add it in a future update. :+1:

@Bulletcather can you test this version 0.2.3

Could you please check the following on Homey SHS + Homey Bridge?

  • Does pairing work correctly?
  • Do the live brushing values update while brushing?
  • Does the battery reading work?
  • Does the app recover correctly if the Homey Bridge is temporarily offline and comes back online?
  • Does everything still work after restarting SHS or the Homey app?
  • If you have multiple toothbrushes, are they detected and kept separate correctly?

If you notice anything strange, please send the exact error message or a screenshot if possible. That makes it much easier to track down the issue.

Could you please check the following on Homey SHS + Homey Bridge?

  • Does pairing work correctly? Yes
  • Do the live brushing values update while brushing? Yes
  • Does the battery reading work? Yes
  • Does the app recover correctly if the Homey Bridge is temporarily offline and comes back online? I didn’t test yet
  • Does everything still work after restarting SHS or the Homey app? No
  • If you have multiple toothbrushes, are they detected and kept separate correctly? Can not test.

Thanks! This is already very helpful. Pairing, live brushing data and battery reading are now confirmed to work on real SHS + Homey Bridge hardware. :+1:

About the restart issue, could you please tell me a little more?

  • Did you restart SHS, the Oral-B Homey app, or both?
  • After the restart, does the toothbrush device still appear normally in Homey?
  • When you start brushing after the restart, do the timer, pressure and other live values stop updating completely?
  • Does the battery value remain visible?
  • Does restarting the Oral-B app again fix it?
  • Does removing and re-pairing the toothbrush make it work again?

If possible, please also send any error message or app log shown after the restart.

No need to test multiple toothbrushes if you only have one.

I turned on the toothbrush again today, and the connection started working by itself again. Maybe the issue was caused by turning on the toothbrush too soon after restarting Homey SHS.

What I have noticed, though, is that the time shown in the app is two hours off.

7:44 is 9:44 I live in de the Netherlands

Fix it in this version!

Time is now correct!

Great to hear

So, I’d call it a Bluetoothbrush :nerd_face::winking_face_with_tongue:

Why is this needed, just out of interest?

I haven’t tried this Homey app yet, but primarily useful for battery level (I turn off all the chargers at night via smart plugs, including the bathroom socket (via a Tuya double plug) so it’s good to know the battery level).

I don’t think pressure and timer would be useful to me, since I can also see that in the Oral-B mobile app (I always use that while brushing my teeth), but if you don’t use the Oral-B mobile app then you can also use it to turn the bathroom light or LED strip red when there’s overpressure for example.