[APP][Pro] OpenTherm GateWay MQTT

No diagram needed really. The connector is marked. 2 wires from the thermostat. The other 2 from the boiler. The polarity doesnt matter.

But manual is here: https://www.nodo-shop.nl/en/index.php?controller=attachment&id_attachment=34

1 Like

So I got mine from nodo shop with the wifi module and pre-soldered . all good.

I see the esp_xxxx wifi. I connected to it got 192.168.4.2 as address
try to connect to 192.168.4.1 with http , https etc in FF and chrome but nothing works.
also did nc but looks like port 80 is not up.

what can it be ? , do I need to program it 1st.

thanks

This is what I ordered. Did you also order the WeMos programming service?

If you did, try using FireFox as browser. I had issues when using Chrome.

oh, and try to connect to: http://otgw.local

aha , this 1 not .

do you have the instructions howto do this yourself.

This link is probably what you need: How to install firmware on your ESP ¡ rvdbreemen/OTGW-firmware Wiki ¡ GitHub

that went well, lets see now

nice , now I can continue

1 Like

Only I don’t see the room temperature on homey.

A lot of thermostats don’t pass that value to the boiler.

ok this 20 degrees shown there is not the same on the gateway and in mqtt

in MQTT the room temperature topic is called Tr, so that is what I use in the Homey app.
You could use MQTT explorer to see the live topic updates.

For expert help visit the Discord Channel: Discord

The developers of OTGW are there, and maybe they can help you to get the room temperature. But as @robertklep said, it depends if the thermostat provides this info in the first place.

thanks , nest has it on app and homey but indeed I don’t see it on mqtt

fixed, it is a topic and on homey I missed this message because I added the app later. restart gateway helped in pushing it again

1 Like

@Gruijter can you share your flow. for the shower timer.

like to do the same but notify when hot water flow goes over 5 or 10 min and calculate the gas from that moment.

thanks

Not so easy to share. I can make some screenshots, but need a PC for that. Wheather is too nice now to sit behind my laptop.

Here are the most important flows. The first detects if the shower is being used (and not some other hot water usage). The second flow is timing the shower duration and will flash the lights after a number of minutes.

1 Like

When I started the OTGW boiler tuning I hoped to save 5% gas by letting the boiler run more efficiently. Now that I have a full year gas consumption from July-July, I was able to compare it with previous years.

We actually used 40% less gas than in previous years. WOW!

Not all savings are due to tuning the boiler, but introducing OTGW on my Homey surely was a huge factor. These are the measures that enabled the 40% less usage:

• we had a relatively warm winter
  • awareness by all residents that gas prices were enormous
  • awareness forced by the shower timer I built with Homey (see OP)
  • automatically lowering the boiler temperature to 40 degrees after 5 minutes of showering (and back to 58 when shower finished)
  • installing a thermostat valve in the bathroom
  • installing a thermostat valve in the hallway, and setting it to frost prevention mode
  • installing radiator fans on all convectors in the living/kitchen area
  • installed a new, better insulated, door between living room and hallway
  • lowering the thermostat setting with 1 degree (to 19) and wearing extra sweater
  • lowering the thermostat to 15 degrees an hour earlyer than before (9pm now)
  • tuning the boiler:
  • lowering max water temp to 45 degrees
  • setting boiler heater power to minimum value
  • fine tuning the max pump speed
  • so that the return water temp is minimized, and boiler stays in low burner modulation as long as possible

This summer I found a cheap (18 euro) laser guided thermal temperature measuring gun at Lidl. I will use it when winter starts to fine tune the valves on each convector so that ‘delta T’ is equal everywhere. This will further optimize (=lower) the return water temperature, and thus squeeze maybe even a bit more efficiency out of the boiler.

Fine tuning the Central Heating system was very time consuming, but I never imagined we would save this amount of gas!

Hope I can inspire others to do the same.

PS: I read a lot online, discussed on forums, and watched youtube clips about boiler tuning. I have seen/read enough to know I am by far an expert on the subject, so please forgive me if some of the measures I described above are suboptimal, or even plainly wrong, but for me the result is there! :wink:

2 Likes

That is a huge reduction. I myself see a reduction of about 30 %. Most of your measures I’ve done also. Luckily my kids have “left the building”, so shower time reduction is not necessary over here :joy:.
My suggestion for further reduction: zone heating (Plugwise for instance).
On weekdays I only heat the kitchen, bathroom and one or two home-office rooms during the day.
This spring we isolated the space in the outside wall’s (“spouwmuur isolatie”), I’m curious how much it will save us coming winter.

1 Like

Hi, I’m not really succesfull in getting the OTGW MQTT app to work on my Homey. My situation is a little different than in the how-to at the start of this topic. Could anybody please point me the right direction?

I have a Nodo shop OTGW. It has been working fine for the last 2-3 years on a Domoticz installation. For comfort and stability reasons I have migrated my entire home automation setup to a Homey Pro 2023. Except for the OTGW this migration went perfectly…

What is different:

• I don’t have the wifi variant, but the ethernet variant (Ethernet-module USR-TCP232-T2)
  • I’ve updated the firmware once, which bricked my OTGW, so I’m a little bit hesitant to update the firmware again. Nodo shop sent me a new PIC with the latest firmware which I installed. I’m not really sure which firmware it is.
  • The web page shown in this topich where you can configure the MQTT function is not available for me.
  • I can access the OTGW via the OTmonitor app, where I can also configure the MQTT function.

The MQTT interface via the OTmonitor application:

My settings in Homey:

The result :frowning: :
error

Any advice for me to get this to work? Would be greatly appreciated #WinterIsComing :sweat_smile:

That setup looks very different indeed. Homey looks for events on OTGW/value and publishes actions on OTGW/set. That is when the top topic in Homey is left at OTGW