[APP][Pro] Heating Controller with utility prices

@balmli
Hi.
Would it be possible to add a trigger that finds the cheapest utility price between two set times?

For instance: “When the price is the lowest between 4:00 and 8:00”

This would then locate the cheapest price of these five hours.

This way I can lower the temperature in the house when everyone has gone to bed, and turn it back up when it is cheapest to do so, but before the first person has to get up.
Can’t find a way to do this now.

I’m sure it would also be useful in other situations.

2 Likes

@Torbjorn_Melbye Good idea!

Or maybe a condition.

“When: Utility price changed”,
"And: The price is the lowest between 4:00 and 8:00”

?

1 Like

Yes, a condition is probably better :grin:

And perhaps also;

“And price is among the x lowest/highest hours between x:00 and x:00”

Just to complicate it further :see_no_evil:

2 Likes

Hi, and thanks for a great app!

I was looking for a way to utilize the heating app for flows controlling heaters just before the utility price gets too high.

So I´d want to configure the heaters for allowing the room temperature going higher than the “default” just before the high price starts. This would allow the heating devices to be off (or lower level) while the utility price is too high, but would make the starting temperature for the room a bit warmer while it is cooling off. But I cannot figure out a way to do this with flows for the current app.

For example: utility price is high from 7:00-9:00, so the heating would be upped on just the hour from 6-7. I am thinking of raising target temperature for my air pump +2-3 degrees just before, and then let it be off (or on the default) for the high price hours.

Is there a way to do this? I am using the Heating Controlle app with my MelCloud app, Aquara sensors and with logic variables for target temperature for that room.

Thanks for a great app!

I wanted to start out without the “at work” sequence since someone is working from home most days. To do this I just entered a zero in both “Hour starting at work” and “Hour finnished at work”. However - at 07:00, the ECO drop commenced.

Is there a simple way to just exclude the “At work” sequence?

I haven’t tested with 0 - zero, but try 7 for both starting and finished at work.

You can also use “Home override”. Create a flow to enable Home override.

Thanks. I ended up setting a standard «Home override» flow like you suggested - and then using a standardized calendar entry called «Dagsenking» to disable the override on a Day to Day basis.

V. 1.6.0 with two new conditions:

• Added condition: ‘Current price is among / not amount the X hours of lowest between start and end’
  • Added condition: ‘Current price is among / not amount the X hours of highest between start and end’

Use the link here to get access to and install the test-version:

Please test :slight_smile:

cc: @Torbjorn_Melbye

I would like to activate an outlet the cheapest hour every night. That way I can charge headphones, cellphones and other stuff when it’s cheap.

My problem is that the cheapest hour every day is sometimes in the beginning of the day and some at the end. So the outlet is sometimes activated for 2 hours some nights and not at all some nights.

Anybody have any ideas to solve this?

Thank you!

I have tested this during the day and it seems to work.
The end hour is however not counted. But this may be by design?
The start hour is counted though.

Using this test-flow it told me the cheapest hour between 20-23 was 22:00.
However 23 is actually cheaper.

Now, this test-flow told me the most expensive hour between 20-23 was 20, and that is correct.

So, it works fine as long as you know the end hour will not actually be part of the calculation. Perhaps it should be?

@Torbjorn_Melbye

I will fix so that you can select start and end, with hours and minutes. And end will stay exclusive:

• ‘20:00’ to ‘23:00’: prices from 20, 21, 22
  • ‘22:00’ to ‘06:00’: prices from 22, 23, 00, 01, 02, 03, 04, 05
  • ‘22:00’ to ‘06:01’: prices from 22, 23, 00, 01, 02, 03, 04, 05, 06

This will solve @Robert_Larsson’s problem.

WHEN: Utility price changed
AND: Current price is among the 1 hours of lowest between ‘22:00’ and ‘06:00’ (or something)
THEN: turn on
ELSE: turn off

And you can charge the car easily by using this, with the 4 hours of lowest prices during the night:

WHEN: Utility price changed
AND: Current price is among the 4 hours of lowest between ‘22:00’ and ‘06:00’
THEN: start charging
ELSE: stop charging

1 Like

Perfect :ok_hand:t2:

Please test v. 1.6.1

Seems to work as described. Both old and new functionality seems stable.

Thank you so much!

I also have another idea/wish🙈
It would be nice to be able to locate the cheapest (or most expensive) stretch of hours.

Something like, the following x hours are the cheapest/most expensive of the day.

This would then locate, not necessarily any of the absolute cheapest or most expensive hours of the day, but the stretch of x hours that is ether the lowest or the highest combined.

This condition would only happen once a day unlike the existing condition below that is sort of similar:

“The following x hours are among the y hours of today’s lowest/highest prices”

That one can happen several times a day or not at all depending on the Y value.

Use cases: the absolute best time run the dishwasher, washing machine or other things that needs more then one cheap hour to finish. I’m sure other things as well.

No rush of course :slightly_smiling_face:

Yes, this is quite easy to fix.

1 Like

V. 1.7.0. with another two conditions:

• Added condition: ‘The following X consecutive hours have / have not the lowest total price between start and end’
  • Added condition: ‘The following X consecutive hours have / have not the highest total price between start and end’

cc: @Torbjorn_Melbye

Perfect! You work fast :grin:
I’ll test this a little later :+1:t2:

1 Like