[APP][Pro] < group > (3.2.4 - Stable)

Thanks @Jamie, much appreciated! :+1:t2::smiley:

Ha, good to hear . thats the news i was looking for

Hi,
Been using this app for quite some time now, love it.
Recently i tried adding a group of alarm/contact sensors - when selecting the sensors under alarm->contact alarm, it returns the correct list of sensors. However, when i select the sensor to create the group i get the following error:

An unknown error has occurred [invalid_class]

Using the v2.5.301 on the homey pro (early 2019).

Any ideas?
Thx
Hung

Thanks for a great app @Jamie :grin:

I have created some groups with the Power capability, which I use to see the current energy usage in the device list and to calculate electricity bill per group using the Norwegian Electricity Bill app for Homey (ie “all heating sources on 1st floor”, “floor and heating pump in living room”).

My problem is that these groups are included in the Energy reporting, which skews the statistics with redundant data, since the individual devices are already in the reporting.

Ideally these groups should be kept out of the energy reporting, or perhaps a per-group setting can be added? I don’t know if this is possible, or if Homey always include all power metering.

Made a [Feature request] Excluding zones and devices from Homey Energy for users to be able to ignore some measurements from Homey energy, as they may indeed be irrelevant for various reasons.

3 Likes

Just to say thank you. I am really enjoying the < group > app. It replaces writing & maintaining many flows and allows for easy exclusion or inclusion of devices.

Exactly that, it becomes a kind of “abstraction layer” between flows and devices. If for some reason a device need replacing you don’t need to touch the flows, just update the group. This is why I have groups with just one device in them.
And it has a toggle card for lights, something zones doesn’t.

Have you got you new Homey 2023 yet?
Looking forward to < group > being updated as it’s the last app I use that’s not compatible yet :grinning:
Happy to help / test it you need it.

2 Likes

I have, and its been good, bnut my focus has been on the Alexa app first - as it is a much smaller (if not still complicated) upgrade.

The Group app relies very heavily upon the web-api which has had a new version created and is still a little buggy.

I still plan on updating the group and and ideally looking at increasing the stability even further.

I am excited to see what can be done around the group zigbee available on the new pro, as well as how it will react with really large groups and groups of groups now that the CPU has been upsized.

4 Likes

I want to create a group for a Broadlink device with class other and capabilities as follows:

I do not manage to create the group. When I create a group with class “other” and capability “power”, I can select my device, but that gives me a group that cannot be turned on/off, just show the power measure. Would appreciate to know if it is possible / a tip.

Hey Rrrr,

No, with Group, you cannot create a device other than “default” ones, based on class of capabilities.

If you want a device with multiple OnOff and Energie, you need to create an AVD from the Device Capabilities app.
You can then create an AVD with multiple buttons and a numberfield=energie, and configure the status through flows.

This is how i am re-building my grouped devices: for instance, my lamp-group in the hal im gonna make a AVD which in the Device Tile will show the time left before the group is turned off by a Chronograph timer.

And it will still react to being pushed on the device tile: Having all lights in the hal and it’s time in one device!

1 Like

Nice! Will try.

Hi, I get an error when trying to edit a group. I tried to delete an entry:

I haven’t found an answer to this, but would it be possible to have a setting for a group motion that at least 2 should be on before the group goes active?

That already exists, you can choose min/max/ave/all etc.

Then I must be doing it wrong.
I have created a group with 3 motion sensors. The only setting i have in that group is:

• On if any devices are on
  • On if all devices are on

I can’t set a min/max/ave?

You look to be right,

When I get around to updating the app, ill look at adding this new feature.

2 Likes

Currently I would say this app expects a medium level of understanding to use (it asks you to select device capabilities). But the more detailed features such as how it reacts when one light is on etc, are hidden away in the settings.

To me it feels like a compromised solution, not easy to use for first time users and features are hidden away, so I have been thinking about how I could improve the user experience. I think there are a couple of options but most come down to :

Remove the need to select capabilities have the app automagically determine and manage based on the device class (light/socket/speaker etc).

The the question becomes where how to allow the app to do everything we want it to do and this is where I was wondering if anyone has any opinions :

1. Separate the use cases of the app - and have two apps, ie. and create a ‘basic’ version.
  2. Move more of the advance features into the application settings so that they can be managed from in there.
  3. Remove advance features from the current drivers but add a new “advance” group driver which has these extra abilities.

Let me know if anyone has any thoughts on what the best approach for the new / pro users is.

1 Like

For me, I had to experiment with it in case of some “custom” devices, eg. created via MQTT Hub, not sure if same might happen in case of Device capabilities, possibly Virtual Devices etc.
So loosing this option could be bummer for more advanced users. Would it be possible to keep it and during Group device creation phase to simply choose method?

Would it be resulting in two apps required? I’m running out of memory already on my Homey

If I understand the use cases, the most preferred would be probably Option 2 - but I’m little bit lost here because there are already advanced settings in the settings and with remark above l’m not sure how it correlates.
But let’s see if others understood this fully then feel free to ignore my thoughts :slight_smile:

I would go for option 2 as well.
No need for an extra app or device choice then (that would be confusing for new users too imo).

Are these changes inevitable when updating the app to SDK 3 or do you plan to update this part first?
I very much welcome the proposed changes and evt new features, but would welcome an update to SDK 3 most atm
 If there is no further delay, my new HP23 is shipped next week and this app is one of the last on SDK 2 in my case

No offence of course, I do understand you are doing this voluntary. Which is very much appreciated! :+1: