[APP][Pro] < group > (3.2.4 - Stable)

Just a little pressure ;-))))

Nope, I did not say that. Don’t put words in my mouth. :slight_smile:
Just asking to make an educated guess when I will be able to update to the new HP23

I haven’t started working on the group app yet, my focus has been on other applications.

The Homey Pro is in early access preview, as it will remain for some time I will release the group app around the time that the device goes stable. The HP23 is amazing, but i’ve now had it for a month and I only use it to update my apps upon. I have no plans to make it my ‘main controller’ this month and I wouldn’t recommend others to do so either until it is stable.

Off the top of my head the todo list looks something like this (in no particular order) :

• Update it to use the SDk3
  • Update it from using the athomAPI to the homeyAPI.
  • Update it so that it will work on v10 devices (HP23)
  • Fix the settings page which has been buggy for a little while now, ie. JS errors.
  • Simplify the settings pages, the ability to add/edit/remote devices requires high effort and is low reward.
  • Update the library to leverage the athom device library so I am no reinventing the wheel.
  • Update the generic library code, and then redistribute it to my merge app.
  • Look at moving the calculation settings from the settings page to the device settings.
  • Update the UI so that it works correctly with the new element classes, and realign with the new recommended designs, when pairing.
  • Simplify the pairing process, so that the app is more approachable for everyone, likely getting rid of capability selections.
  • Fix that silly bug where you have to restart the app after adding a device.
  • Investigate to see if there is a solve for the default state after a device/app restart.
  • Remove the biggest reason for error messages, so that my general logging library and sentry integration can be added.
  • Update the Icons available.
  • Update the Vue / Jquery / Bootstrap JS libraries.
  • Add additional languages
  • Add a way for devices will different capabilities to be grouped together.
  • Revisit all of the group types and look to see if other comparisons are required (akafester)
  • Put some sort of debounce on capability values changing which stops them from moving all over the place when a value changes (ie. dim from 0 to 100 will cause multiple updates which in turn updates the group) and vice-a-versa.

I highly doubt that I will get through more then a couple of thoes items.

I suspect the hardest part to update will be the custom application settings, which is why I need to determine what approach to take which is why I am interested in getting what everyone thinks before I kick off the work.

3 Likes

Hey Jamie,

Personally, i still use the Group app a lott for the most simple basic grouping of devices, like grouping light-sensors, or lights themself to act as group, or fire/smoke-detectors.

This way, when a sensor or smoke alarm doesn’t function, it’s very easy to repair the device, (re-)add it to the group and done.
So, for me personally, Group is awesome because of it’s simplicity.
It prevents me from fixing the most important flows when one device gets disconnected/repaired.
(Only issue is the fire/smoke alarm always triggers after a Homey restart).

Thats my thoughts about it.

3 Likes

I just use it for grouping my blinds so they all open / close together. If the app isn’t ready when I finally switch over to hp2023 then I will just use a flow.

Hi Jamie,
I use the app primary for grouping devices to adress the group from Alexa via Voice command.

Extended app settings would be beat for me. So special use cases can be done there. Simple group specific setting via device settings like it is now.
The only suggestion could be to use the repair function for the device. So you can access the settings also in WebApp from the device. But this would need to create some repair views that acts like a pair view.

I use it for grouping L1 L2 L3, to get total power use with my shelly meter, to group my blinds and to group lights with more than 1 light in one fixture.

I also use it to export a temp reading from a z-wave device that can’t otherwise be exported to homekit.

I will get the HP2023 next week, not sure if I will try to move over or not.

I only use the app to group individual devices together. Mostly these are lights or temperature sensors.
I have also grouped light sensors to get the average value.
But it would not be a problem to implement this in Homey 23 as well, using advanced flows.

As some people have started to received their new HP23, know that I have been running a new version on my HP23 for a couple weeks now, it’s working really well, lots of updates and bug fixes and even a couple new features.

I will likely release test version to others with a HP23 in the next 3-5 days.

8 Likes

Hmm, just spent the whole morning rebuilding my groups with virtual device’s

The Group app is the only app missing, and preventing me from switching automatically…

2 Likes

Great news, @Jamie! Much appreciated! :+1:t2::smiley:

1 Like

Great news, worth waiting for this with the migration to my new Homey 2023.

Great news on releasing a test version with HP23 support. For me this app is the last one in need of HP23 support. If you deliver the Test version. I would like to get access

Can’t wait, it’s the only app missing to really start migrating (currently done multiple test setups) :+1:

For the people who “can’t wait” ill release a “work in progress” release later today.

This will allow for new groups to be created, the calculation methods to be changed, but you will be unable to change which devices are in a group, via the settings.

Additionally there has been some delays in rolling out a migration path from version 2 to version 3. It works but the performance is pretty terrible, looking into why I am getting so many rate limited messages from athom.

4 Likes

Only available to people running a HP23 (for now), will not migrate existing groups - instead they will show as “not ready”. It is currently not possible to add/remove devices from a group after it has been created.

Adds support for SDK3
Adds support for HP23
Brand new architecture
Lots and lots of bug fixes and improvements

• [Testing] Now alter the way a group calculates its values from the device settings page.
  • [Testing] New type of group “blended”, which allows you to have a group with devices with different capabilities. (ie. you can now group your TV, Speaker and lights) - though more common will be grouping lights where some are coloured, some are dimable and some are just on/off.

Next (:soon:)

• Support for v8 of homey
  • Ability to migrate v8 groups to v10
  • Ability to blend all device’s capabilities (currently limited to light/socket)
  • Ability to add/remove devices from a group after creation
  • Re-add sensors
  • Re-add alarms
  • New group type “fused” for creating a single device from multiples, ie. merge your zwave switch with you hue globe.
  • New group type where you can select which capabilities to add
  • Debounce so when a group is altered it no longer staggers as the devices update.
3 Likes

Version 3.0.2 breaks all my new made groups @Jamie

Super odd, 3.0.2 only added logging to Sentry.

What version where the groups created in 3.0.0 or 3.0.1?

Latest test version will migrate groups from v2 of the app to the new v3.

Looking to enable this for v8 apps tomorrow, once there has been some testing?

2 Likes