[APP][Pro] Circadian Lighting

A simple application to create circadian lighting zones within your Homey home.

Using some simple configuration, this app allows you to easily create flows to adjust lighting colour temperature and brightness throughout the day. Additional options are implemented for creating custom “night time” modes.

Combined with the power of Advanced Flow, it’s really easy to not only create lighting scenes that adapt throughout the day, but adjust accent lighting, track room mode, and more.

I’m using this app in my own home, but I’m more than happy to accept there may be a couple of initial bugs… .:wink:

15 Likes

An example would be nice.
If I want my zone to follow adaptive, what does the flow look like ?

Das wäre gut :+1:

I tested it for you :wink:

1. Create a zone with this app:
    grafik

2. Create a flow with the zone trigger and set the light values using the tags.
    I used the HomeAssistant community app with the assigned HueGo. This way I’m able to set dim and temperature in one step. I think using the HueApp you need to set dim and temperature in separate steps.

I have to check tomorrow how this reacts during the day.

So thanks to the developer. It’s a really easy way to adjust the light with a simple flow :slight_smile:

@alistair
Switching to night mode seems to only trigger the dim flow, not the dim+color flow. So only the dim level is adjusted but not the temperature.
Switching to “adaptive” triggers dim flow AND dim+color flow.

Hi @alistair .

Thank you, thank you, thank you.
This was exactly the app I needed. I have been trying to do exactly this by using other apps, but that is always not exactly working correctly.
This app does exactly what I want.

At this moment I have two questions:

1. What is the difference between Night and Adaptive when the lights are used at night? Because at this moment I don’t understand the difference.
  2. If I only create a single adaptive Arcadian Zone for my Homey, I can use it for all different light zones in my Homey, correct? Except when using different ‘Advanced App Settings’ for the adaptive Settings, Probably.

best regards,
Twan

Hi @alistair.

In reply to my previous post.
I think that I understand the difference between Adaptive and Night settings. The Night setting is a fixed setting. But now I can not figure out how to use it.
This is my situation:
For the Toilet Upstairs, I have full lightning during day time (so using adaptive, great that works). But now at night, I want very dimmed lightning, as I want to see something, but not fully wake up due to the bright light in the toilet. So now how to tell the (Hue GU10 light) to Dim to Night setting? Because somewhere in the flow I would need to have the Circadian Zone (that is set to night), otherwise I can not select Circadian Zone Dim Value. I’m not sure how to do that.

I was curious if the zone follows a certain date as standard as most “Circadian Rhythm” ways use a set Spring date to always follow.

As now it would seem to follow sunrise to noon to sunset.

I do prefer this way but perhaps some people want to set a certain date to follow, especially in the more northern or southern parts of the world where daylight is scarce in winter times.
So you could call it a feature request for those people :grin:.

1 Like

As a ‘feautre request’, I would like to be able to offset the times that are used. Because at this moment the lightning at the moment of sundown is way to low, while a few hours later it is completely fine. With SunSet it appears fine to me, but maybe somebody wants to be able to offset for SunSet as well.

1 Like

You can change the minimum dim level in the zones’ advanced settings, and use the night mode if you still want it that low in the evening.

I’m not sure if I understand your question correctly, but I think maybe define two circadian zone’s. One with adaptive setting and one with night setting. And two flow’s. One that uses the adaptive zone to set dim level during day, and another that uses the night zone during night?

This is how I understand it as well.
However, I would like to be able to switch between “Adaptive”, “Night” and “Manual” using a flow instead of having to add 3 Circadian Zones. That would reduce the number, or at least the complexity of the flows.

Edit
Made a FR on GitHub for that.

2 Likes

@alistair
Another feature request: “Inverted mode”.
So bright light, to compensate for lack off daylight, in morning and evening, and softer light at noon. This can be useful in your study- or work-room to create active focus light at the time of day this isn’t available from outside. This could be a separate mode, or an “invert” option at the adaptive mode.

I know there is a workaround for this bij subtracting the value’s from this app from 1 and use that result in the flows, but it would be a nice feature for the app itself.

3 Likes

So another question. I have some Trådfri colour light bulbs. Colour can be set using Hue (0-360 degrees) and saturation (0-100%). I would also like to set the colour of these bulbs using this app.

But this app gives a colour temperature value (in range 0-100). Is there a way or rule of thumb to convert this colour temperature to Hue and Saturation value’s?

Or maybe this app can support the Hue&Saturation values also (another feature request :wink: )

You can change the minimum dim level in the zones’ advanced settings, and use the night mode if you still want it that low in the evening.

Yes, I know, but the lowest setting is perfect now, I just want it to be reached a few hours after sundown. And not at sundown (as it appears to be now). After sundown it is still at least an hour of light outside.

I have done that, but how to tell the light to go use the Circadian Night zone settings? The value for the Night zone only is available when the ‘Circadian value has changed’ step has been added. But that trigger will never be reached as that value never changes.

And as it is not possible to set the Circadian zone to night setting by using a flow, I still do not know how to use that.

Yes, an offset would be nice for +/- minutes before/after sunset/sundown.

2 Likes

One flow triggers by circadian zone (with adaptive mode) (maybe an extra condition to execute after a certain time, or indication that you woke up). I think you’ve figured this out and working :wink:
Second flow triggers at a certain moment (for instance a certain time or indication that you go to sleep) and sends the circadian value’s of the other circadian zone (with night mode) to the light (these are variables of that zone that you can use as tag’s in flows)

So i figured out how to use the circadian light values from this app, to set colour of lights that don’t have the “color temperature” capability.

There is this little app that converts colors:

It needs colortemperature in Kelvin as input an converts it to all sorts of other color variant (HSB, RGB) in different ranges (0-1, 0-100, 0-360, 0-255).

I assume the Kelvin range of circadian light is 2700K (Sunset) to 6500K (Noon). The color temperature output from Circadian lighting app is from 1 (Sunset) to 0 (Noon). So with this calculation I calculate the Kelvin value.

{{round(2700+((6500-2700)*(1-[circadian zone color temperature tag])),0)}}

And send that to color tools, which converts it to other color variants, to be used for lights.

It takes two flows to make this work (due to color tools way of working).

Flow one: When circadian value changed (trigger card from Circadian Lighting), then convert Color temperature (converted to Kelvin with calculation above) to color parse event (action card from Color Tools)
Flow two: When color parse event parsed (trigger card from color tools), then set light to color value’s (14 to choose from from color tool parse event card)(action card from your light)

1 Like

Damn, we got a saying here in the Netherlands ‘Not looking any further then your nose’. I was only looking at the first values presented from the list of logic values. Not searching for the actual ‘devices’ circadian zones.

Thank you.

1 Like