[APP][Pro] Broadlink App

I have an homey pro early 2023 since a little time and I bought it to use with my BroadLink for all appliances that works with 433 MHz. I try to download the BroadLink app but it’s not supported for my homey. Can you do something to help me??
Thanks

Just to let you know, I finally unplugged my Broadlink and worked hard on making IR and RF working on my Homey Pro…

I found a new experimental card added in last updates to send IR codes (need to enable experimental in Homey settings). HP23 cannot learn, but I managed to find hexa (pronto) codes on internet that I only had to copy paste in the card.

For my RF (433) devices, hopefully I had only one: I used the Homey developper tool to read the RF signal sent by my remote, then I developed a small app for Homey sending this signal… it was quite painful (had some help from people on this forum), but it works perfectly.

It took me time, but allow me to get rid of an additional device (and its power consumption) !

1 Like

Can You give us some more details and maybe step-by-step guide?

About IR it is quite easy (I traduce French menues to English, so perhaps it is not exactly the same wording):

1. Search for the hexa (pronto) code of the button you want to simulate
  2. Go to homey app, settings, experiments, enable “power user”
  3. In a flow, in the then section, add a card “send the infrared command” (into System group)
  4. Paste the hexa code in the card

If you want to add a device running this, you can create a virtual device (there is an app for that) and add it in the when section of the flow.

For the RF, it is more complex and it requires some coding… have a look at this:
Tuto
(Vidéo are helpful)
Then use the Homey Developper Tool to register a button of your remote.
Then you can use this tool made by someone here to make a first analysis of the signal. The goal is to identify the header, the trailer, and the data in the middle, and to compute an average signal (because of noise, each register session will result in a slightly different signal, so we need to find a average one). You also need to understand the structure of the signal and how a change in low-high signal means a 1 or a 0. I had discussion with another member of the forum who helped me.
Once you have your signal, you have to copy it into a dedicated file in your app, register this signal, and sent it when the app triggers.
I will not go into detail about that, it would be too long, but the documentation was quite clear about that (the only part not clear is how the signal is structured, and so how to guess the average signal)

You may also go for a simple, but possible messy solution, using Alexa linked with Broadlink.

Alexa only seems to allow basic things from 3d party apps, so when setting up a device in Broadlinks own app, add it as a light bulb. Alexa will then only use the on and off buttons.

For each new button you will have to add it as new device (light).
If your remote does not have seperate on off buttons, make sure the on/off buttons still are set and saved in Broadlinks app (both are saved with same signal).

In my case i have a remote for a ceiling light, with 1 button for on/off, also it has a Fav button (fav light setting, also acts like a on button).
So i have added it as 2 lights in Broadlinks app, linked it with Alexa, and using Homeys Alexa app (no alexa devices needed) to import those 2 devices (smart light).

To turn on my light, i use the Fav Light.
To turn off i use both lights, flow: Press Fav → Press On/Off

This should be ok for a simple remote control use, but if you have lots of buttons you want to use, it might be messy. Especially if you want exact light status, as you then might have to add in a virtual device to control that (as in my case having the same button for on/off).

Only used a IR remote, but should work for RF as well.

Hi,

Could you by any chance share the source code of the RF app (without any confidential bits like the actual signal of course)?

Thanks,
Paweł

Yes, I will try to take time to share them this week-end.

1 Like

I added a post here with some screen-shots and code extract of my final Homey RF app. As explained in the post, do not simply copy/paste the code: it won’t work. Follow the various Homey tutorials, choosing the correct capabilities depending on your device, installing the various tools (Homey CLI, Visual Studio (or other editor), Docker, …) with administration rights, …

1 Like

Thank you, much appreciated!

Quick question, in the Homey Developert Tools RF signals tab, if you copy a (raw) signal to the bottom of the page and emulate it does it make your curtains move? Trying to debug my attempt as I think I’ve got the correct signal but it doesn’t do anything while sent via the emulate or an app.

Thanks again for your help!

No, it does not worked for me… I don’t know how it could work since there is no place to specify the frequency, etc.
I think it probably works only for very specific simple cases.
I recommend you to create your app, fill the signal file, and test your app. If it does not work change the signal file.
Put a log juste after the signal send in the code, to ensure that at least your code reach this line, which means that the issue is not your app but only the signal.

Did You manage to make your device work?

Hi,

No, did not have time to debug it properly, and since I’m neither a JS developer nor an RF signal expert it needs a solid amount of time.
For context, there are two possible problems that I need to check:

1. [probably more likely] I’ve estimated the signal in a wrong way as it’s fairly complex and I’m not an expert;
  2. [seems less likely] something in the app I’ve done is mixed up and doesn’t actually send the signal - this one is trickier to check since I don’t have a separate RF scanner [maybe the one in Homey dev works but since it’s the same device as would be sending the signal I’m not sure this would make sense].

So yeah my best guess is that the issue is the signal structure. Will post an update if I get anywhere with it.

This app is not compatible with Homey Pro (Early 2023).

This app is outdated and requires an update to work on Homey Pro (Early 2023). If you would like to do this, please contact the developer via the Homey Community Forum .

1 Like

Hi… is this still active? I got the homey pro and want to connect my broadlink stuff. Is there an app for it?

Hi, any plans for support for Broadlink on Homey pro early 2023?

I am hoping to integrate an RF transmitter to my Homey setup. Or are there other RF transmitter brands I can use with Homey?

Thanks.

3 Likes

Will there be any update for Homey Pro 2023?

1 Like

This app really needs an update so we can use it with Homey Pro 2023

1 Like

Since the last update of this App is 4 years ago and newer models of Broadlink are not supported and the whole App does not work with Homey (early 2023) I tried to find a sollution for my extractor hood, from an unknown brand, which has IR for faster/slower and lights on/off. Also my Broadlink red bean RM3 mini was never supported but I got it runing with an un-official App on my old Homey (early 2019). So I needed a solution for my new Homey (early 2023), which I found on several website but mostly this community and and the site of IrScrutinizer.

You need an “old” Homey (early 2019) for getting the needed IR information. The newer Homey (early 2023) does not support the recording of the IR signal anymore.
And you need the IrScrutinizer tool which can be found on: HARCToolbox downloads. But probably there are more tools working.

This is what I did:
With the Homey (early 2019) I could record the IR signal in Hex but I needed Prontohex. In Homey “developer tools” you go to “RF signals” and then “Record a Signal”. Choose for “infra red” and click on the button on the remote you want to record. After clicking the remote button you will get something like below in Hex format:

884,778,908,776,903,780,909,775,904,780,916,769,903,783,1746,784,906,779,879,807,871,820,902,777
879,86124,889,776,909,774,904,780,900,784,905,779,910,775,911,776,1745,784,906,780,910,776,903,782

Strangely this code is absolutely useless in Homey for testing or making a flow.

We go further: again, in Homey “developer tools” you go to “Infrared” and try to send this code and you will get an error. This is due to the fact that it’s a Hex signal and not a Prontohex signal. So you need to change/convert this to a prontohex signal.

In the IrScrutinizer tool I copy/paste the raw Hex IR data in to the “Scrutinize signal” tab. Press “scrutinize” and you will see the Prontohex as below for this example:

0000 006D 0000 000D 0020 0020 0020 0020 0020 0020 0020 0020 0020 0020 0020 0020 0020 0020 0042 0020 0020 0020 0020 0020 0020 0020 0020 0020 0020 0B42

You can test this signal in the Homey “developer tools” under “Infrared” and try to send this code. It should already work and not give an error.

Then you need to switch on in your Homey (early 2023) the setting “Power User” under “settings” → “experiments”. After switching it on you have a “then” card in your flows under “System” like: “send ‘Prontohex’ command ‘repeat’ times”. When pasting the ProntoHex code in there with repeat at 1 Homey will send out the right command and you can control you IR device. The rest is making the Flow working with a “when” card.

Biggest issue with all of the above is getting the recording of the right IR HEX code from Homey (early 2019) when you have a Homey (early 2023). My dad has still one so for me that was very helpfull. Maybe there are other ways to get the Hex signal for a remote button.

My next step is controlling the airco in the bedroom with a Homey bridge. This should be able to send out IR codes as well.

Hopefully all of the above is helpfull for you all.

Hello, I would also like the Broadlink mini 3 to be supported by the Homey Pro 2023.
I found a simple way to get the IR code in Pronto Hex format. You have to use a little software called Broadlink Manager. You run it and start the scan. The software will find the Broadlink connected to WIFI. Then you click on learn a command. You click on a button on the remote control for which you want to know the IR code. The software will transcribe the code in 2 formats, one normal code and the other in base 64. You make a copy of this last code without the quotes and you paste it in the place indicated on this site (which is very well done).
Sensus IR & RF Code Converter You click on convert and you will get the code in Pronto Hex. You paste this code into the appropriate Homey Developer tools section. And it works.
However, I have a request. How can I define that the Homey Bridge satellite should send the IR code instead of the Homey Pro 2023? THANKS.

1 Like