[APP][Pro] Airthings BLE (deprecated)

Hi everyone using Arthings wave plus device.

I am thinking on buying this device but there are 2 questions that comes to my mind before taking a decision:

1. Since it is BLE device, I guess it cannot be located very far from Homey. Which is the max distance observed between Homey and the device keeping connection? Would it be ok around 10m with one brick wall between them?

2. I know the device takes a measurement of radon level once an hour BUT it takes 24h average which is what it presents in the APP. Is Homey taking that 1 hour measurement or just the 24h average?

Thank you for your support.

1. I tried 10m with 2 dry walls. Didnā€™t work. Keeps losing connection. Now the device is 10cm from homey. Looses connection every 2 months but gets it back after app reboot or by itself.
  2. The device gives both radon values short term and long term

Canā€™t recommend myself. Usually works, but itā€™s not so reliable with Homey BLE

Is there still active development on the Airthings integration?

I see that the View series has been expanded with two new models now:
View Radon and Pollution

Will the View models be supported?

Also Wave2/Gen 2 Wave is still not supportedā€¦

1 Like

@vegard is there any plans on a new version of the app supporting Airthings View Plus?

2 Likes

Hei, @bjornarfjelldal ! What did you end up doing? Iā€™d very much like to avoid having to get the Hubā€¦ and especially donā€™t like that I may still need to code to get it to automate something.

Hi. Well, as is the end-game for most people in the same situation as I (too many showstoppers for advanced usage), I have migrated fully over to Home Assistant. There, a simple addon reads the constant flow of data from BLE passivly (not needing to connect to any of the Airthings, improving battery life greatly), giving me live data second-by-second (allthough the device has less regular value updates), and with a much increased coverage from the built-in bluetooth on an RPI4.

Has anyone managed to get the Airthings Cloud or Hub working in Homey? Perhaps via HA, or, if Vegardā€™s implementation is no longer being developed, by doing a forked version of the code?

Got the Wave 2 working using the wave+ driver. Needed to changing the following in the app.js:

ble.discover(['b42e1c08ade711e489d3123b93f75cba']
service.uuid === "b42e1c08ade711e489d3123b93f75cba"
characteristic.uuid === "b42e2a68ade711e489d3123b93f75cba"

1 Like

Is this app abandoned or are there any indications that the app will be updated to support Homey Pro 2023?
I am about to migrate and it seems like Airthings integration is one of the few things I will lose.

Does somebody know if this official app works with BLE connection straight to wavedevice or only through hub?

I installed it on my HP23. Seems like it is cloud only (I had to login with my airthings account), seems like there is no local BLE connection. I have to do a sync with my phone airthings app to update the value in Homey.
I assume the new wifi based view series will work better.

1 Like

Thanks for the confirmation :+1:

I have a working fork of the app if interested, I migrated the app from SDK v2 to SDK v3 to support the new homey. I ran into the same problem as you did, got a new homey, but unable to install the official app. Here is a link to my repo containing the migration and working application: GitHub - fkmeland/homey-airthings-ble at feature/homey-sdk3-migration

Not sure if I can publish this at homeys official store to allow easy installation, or if the original developers accepts pull requests, since they have deprecated the app and released a new cloud only app. (Which I might add does not support my old Wave as far as I can see.) Alsoā€¦ never worked on homey development before, just read the migration guide at homey and plundered away for an hour, hehe.

1 Like

Youā€™d make many Broadlink app users happy with a SDKv3 update of that app!

I can take a look at it over the weekend, but it seems like the bigger issue is that there are no active developers on this project :frowning: to keep it updated and perhaps add new features and devices.

I dont have any broadlink devices, so it would be hard for me to test if it works as expected, so this needs to be done via someone in the comunity with a supported broadlink device.

1 Like

Official BLE support has now landed in the Airthings app: see Airthings App for Homey | Homey!

2 Likes

Awesome! Thank you very much @drenso :clap:
I see that the Wave Plus with all its sensors is sending new values very frequent to Homey Pro, which is on at all times, unlike when using the phone app to retrieve climate updates - will this affect the battery life on the Wave Plus?

1 Like

We use an interval of 5 minutes to actively retrieve the values from the device, but I do not know whether it significantly affects battery life compared to the scenario you mention. I do know that the same interval is used when connected to an Airthings hub (such as the View Plus), so I wouldnā€™t worry to much about it.

1 Like

I just recently got a Wave Plus and got it up and running with the official iOS-app and got measurements. I got it added in Homey, but never received any measurements. After a while, Homey marked it as unavailable.
Any suggestions on what is wrong and how to fix this?

2 Likes

Same here. It seems it does get a Bluetooth connection for pairing but it does not get a Bluetooth connection for sending data, which totally makes sense (not). Only solution was to move the sensor closer to Homey.