Ajax systems integration to complement home security

I’m a tech journalist and was sent an Ajax system to review when they launched. I told them that it was good, but I would review it when it was integration ready as I didn’t want to review yet another proprietary product - I’ve seen so many come and go.

They’ve told me it’s “on the roadmap for Q4” or similar every year since 2019, so don’t expect too much.

(In fairness, A.S. is based in Ukraine and I know they’ve had to move the entire operation out of Kiev to a safer location, so I am sure they have bigger things to worry about!)

FYI: as long as official API integration isn’t there, I’ve build a DIY integration. Both from AJAX to Homey (alarm, fire alarm, armed, partially armed) and from Homey to AJAX (arm, disarm, partial arm, panic). Works like a charm and dead reliable so far. Not cheap though.

Link to Dutch forum incl pictures. Can translate if needed.
https://gathering.tweakers.net/forum/list_message/72351340#72351340

2 Likes

Translated.

Funny that you used my article mentioned above from FWD.nl as a the start. :slight_smile:

Absolutely Martijn, credits to you! Inspired a lot more of my Smarthome design based on your FWD blogs. Thnx :slight_smile:

1 Like

A few days ago Ajax announced this:

On Linkedin with the announcement they “leaked” SmartHome and domotic in their first post…crossed fingers :crossed_fingers:t3:

4 Likes

Seems like the wait was for nothing. AJAX has decided to go after it’s own share of the smart home pie.

I already suspected this was the reason it took forever.
Although taking a share should not require a choice of closed standards … like some other vendors also do

I agree completely, but I’m afraid they’ll try to lock people in before opening up.

1 Like

Yes, a real bummer.

so there’s no matter integration?

No mention of it. Personally I think they deliberately want it to be a closed system, on the one hand because of the alarm element which is certified, and on the other hand because they’d make more money. Also I believe they don’t have enough knowledge about the smarthome market to be aware of the potential impact of Matter.

I made an email to support lately asking how far they are on the subject and they replied it’s not on the roadmap….

Verzonden vanuit Mail voor Windows

This is what their PR manager says;

“So far, we don’t have any plans in our roadmap regarding the Matter standard, but maybe in the future this changes. The chances that Ajax one day will be open up for other smart home systems are still there, just the R&D priority is always given to other projects right now.”

As I read it it won’t be happening.

Really like Ajax beside that it does not talk to other systems.

What similar alarm systems is there that works with Homey etc?

Kun je met de “relay / smart implant” oplossing ook statussen van bewegingsmelders doorgeven?

@Magnil , check out . Satel Integra Alarm App voor Homey | Homey
Only for Homey Pro.

Helaas niet.

Dat is jammer. Nou ja, we wachten maar rustig af.

@Martijn_C As I have given up hope on Ajax providing an API, I think I am going to implement your solution. I only need arm/disarm status and alarm status, so as I understand I can do with 2 Ajax relays and 1 Fibaro smart implant.
What I am not sure of is what kind of 12V adapter and which kind of wires I would need for the 12V part. Any tips for that?

Have been looking at this thread for quite some time. We installed Ajax alarm system at my mother-in-law and was thinking about the same in my app. The thing is for me its completely crazy to have one door sensor from ajax for alarm purpose then another for homey purposes. For that reason I was hoping to see some API from Ajax so some sensors and their status can be reused. Looks like not gonna happen.

Anyone knows similar alarm systems that are simple yet have API and Homey app for integrations?