Add Philips Hue devices using Matter, not working

If I add a new device to the bridge, or delete a previous device in Homey… How do I add that device to Homey if the bridge is already connected with matter?

Thanks Peter, that works nicely. I’m now up and running with Matter courtesy of the beta software (currently v10.1.0-rc.4) and look forward to migrating my flows and hopefully achieving better responsiveness from sensor events through to light changes.

1 Like

I have a lot of wall switches. But looks like its not working :(.

Stupid question. Shouls new supported devices automaticly show up in homey?

oh sorry… its working!! I just checked again and here it is…
IMG_9214

and reaction is superfast now :rocket:

1 Like

Anyone else noticed a button press being executed twice every time? Homey is saying “test… test”

1 Like

Seems, that if you want to control Hue scenes, then the Hue app for bridge is still needed. Other than that, I think Matter is a way to go for better response.

If only there was generic motion sensor device icon for the motion sensors instead of the default Matter icon.

1 Like

Does anybody know if Friends of Hue devices appear in Homey while using matter?

All Friends of hue switches did appear :+1:
(and work way faster than the Hue app)

1 Like

Hi!!

Did you find answer to this question? I have added Hue over Matter to my Homey and so far I am missing random devices (a sensor, a switch and several bulbs; all of them updated to the latest firmware).

I do not know if I need to relink Hue with Matter, wait longer or perform any different action…

Thanks in advance!

I do not want to cross-post that is why I am sharing a link to the other thread. I just realized that this thread might be the better one.

Does anybody here have an idea why it’s not working with my setup?

Moving to Matter with 3x Philips Hue bridges using iPhone (the menu in the Hue bridge app for Android works different) and Home Assistant.

I was preparing the move, but got lost in the many different articles. Philips bridges can do Matter and only require re-registering each Bridge to Homey after which all (or most) Philips bridge connected devices should show up.

PS I started this post with a request for tips, but now rewriting this post with my experience

Steps for Hue bridges:

1. Optional upgrade HP2023 to 10.3.x (experimental) that provides web enabled capability for the move. I used the official v10.2.1
  2. Remove Philips Hue app from Homey. That was easy for me, its disabled anyway since I use Home Assistant and the HA community app to control my Hue and a few Innr lamps.
  • Should I keep HA for the time being or disable it (HA or the HA Community app) as well? Will it disturb the set up? => To be sure I disabled the HA Community app
  1. Get a code from the Hue bridges (requires sign in to Hue account, a different one for each bridge): Settings, Smart Home, Matter, Link to another app, copy the code.
  • I assume I can do one by one and hope I can still use HA to fall back on with the bridges that are not set to Matter?
    => Yes, after checking I can confirm this. Re-enabling HA still works for the other Philips Hue non Matter registered bridges. => Yes
  • Instead of 3 Hue bridges can I change my set up to only one bridge, or is the Hue bridges limitation to 55 devices still applicable? => The device limitation remains for each Hue bridge
  1. Use the (iOS) phone app to add Matter devices with +. App accessory, then select More options to paste the code
  • At this point: Homey will see every bridge that you put into Matter mode (by requesting the code). They are all called the same (even if powered off) so be organized when you do this, or prepared to wait for a lot of time outs.
  • Adding devices after the bridge was recognized by Homey is automatic goes very fast (<1m). I made sure to have Homey, iPhone and bridge in the same room just because I did not know if it matters.
  • I have many Google hubs but no Apple devices other than the iPhone (not using Homekit). How can I ensure only Homey will be chosen as Thread border controller for new devices? => In the Philips Hue bridge select other (Homey will work as other)

PS I started this post with a request for tips, but now rewriting this post with my experience.
PS 2 @Jannick It is safe to change the title of this thread. It’s working well.

1 Like

I could not install my Philips Hue bridge with Matter on my S23 Android phone.
On my sons iPhone it worked within 10 seconds.

There still seems to be an issue with Android.

Did not find an answer to this yet either
Does anybody know?

• Add a new device to hue bridge
    How do I get that device on my homey linked via the matter link to the bridge?

It should appear automatically in homey. Not placed in any zones, just in your home. And with the generic name from Hue, like “Hue motion sensor 1”

Does that mean it is not possible to remove hue devices when the bridge is connected via matter?
So: when I remove a hue matter device
It will automatically re-appear?

I am not sure I understand your question so let me try to explain.

When you add a device in Homey (using +), then select Matter, you will see your Hue bridge(s) listed. Select one of them and all Hue devices in that Hue bridge will show up as single devices in your Homey device list.

That part part of linking my bridge via matter works fine.
And all hue devices show in homey as matter devices nicely.

• but when I add a new device to my hue bridge, how do I get it to show?
    ** I added a new device to hue, selected homey+ and clicked the matter icon again, but that does not make it show
  • and suppose I delete a matter device (because I do not use it in homey today), can I add it to homey again later??

Update: devices that are connected to the hue bridge are indeed automatically showing up in homey as matter devices. Unlike the initial devices the name just wont come through correctly (that is why I thougt it did not show)

Tried it

• removed the matter device that was added via hue
  • tried to add a matter device (only hue bridge is found), device not added

So it looks like: if you remove it, you can not have it back.
(Workaround might be: also remove it from the hue bridge and add it again?)