433Mhz, infrared, BLE or Z-wave

Hi,

I have expanded my Zigbee network as much as it can handle.
Athom wrote an article about how many devices you could have before problems starts to appear.
The way I see it, I am on the edge now.

So would it be smart to find other devices using the protocols I’ve never used?

I have 23 Zigbee devices (powered and battery)
4 Z-wave devices (powered)
0 433Mhz
0 Infrared
1 Bluetooth LE
Some WiFi devices through apps, but these doesn’t show up under the developer tools.

If I need to expand with more motion sensors, dimmers or temperature, what shall I look for?

Zigbee, then Z-Wave if you also plan on expanding the Z-Wave mesh with Routers …
Maybe also a good one for Zigbee, do you have enough Routers?

1 Like

Because why? How do you notice it?

Athom recommends using no more than 30-40 Zigbee devices (source). However, there are users who have no problems even with 60 ZigBee devices. I myself have 36 ZigBee devices and no problems.
The most important points with ZigBee are:
– check if ZigBee and WiFi channel do not interfere with each other (link)
– first connect the powered devices, ideally 15 of them
– use enough powered devices, because they work as repeaters and forward signals (mesh)

With Z-Wave is it near the same. Enough repeaters are needed to create a stable network/mesh. However, it is not absolutely necessary to pair the powered devices first, but it is definitely recommended. The maximum number of devices is 231 (source).

1 Like

I have only the Homey as a router :smiley:

Until now, it works fine. But I expect it to be slower when adding new devices.
I had hoped that there wasn’t any need for extra routers as the powered devices create their own network?

I guess not… Homey is a Coordinator.

1 Like

But you wrote:

And I guess it’s not possible to add more than 15 battery powered devices without adding repeater (powered devices) first.

And of course, every powered device acts like/is a repeater. So there is normally no need to buy so called “Repeater”.

1 Like

akaik Zigbee self and also in that way in the Athom support article they only speaks about Coordinators, Routers, and End Devices.

Le’ts say: Repeater => Error Undefined…

1 Like

I have specified my statement a little more precisely. I hope at least.
But what I actually meant was that if you use enough wall plugs, light switches, lamps, there is actually no need to use repeaters/range extender without function, such as this one from Aeotec:

https://aeotec.com/products/aeotec-range-extender-zi/

2 Likes

Thank you for this!

It was about that article (30-40 devices) I thought the end was near.
But maybe there is still a lot of room to add more devices without anything slowing down or not working.

Yes, I think so too. But it is important that the mentioned important points are taken into account.

1 Like

If I have added device with battery first. Do I have to reinstall all my device in the house and start over to get the powered one in the list first?

It’s not possible to give a general answer to this question. I myself have 4 battery-powered devices of the maximum 15 direct connection points to Homey, and I have no problems.
How many battery-powered devices have you connected within the first 15 IDs?

The problem is that a maximum of approx. only 15 devices can be connected directly to Homey. Other devices are then connected to Homey via routers. And if you now already have many battery-powered devices among the first 15 devices, then only a few repeaters can be connected to Homey. The number of devices that can be connected via a repeater with Homey is also limited.
Maybe @Dijker knows the maximum number? I don’t.

These are my first 15 :slight_smile:
It is calling the powered devices for routers.

In my opinion the only thing what you can do is to test it, if Zigbee will be stable enough, if you add more devices. And if it’s possible to add more devices at all.

1 Like

Yes, will do it and see if it’s possible to add more devices.