Zone activity doesn't work with Zooz Tilt Sensor (ZSE43)

I’m having trouble with using Zone activity to trigger action. Specifically, I’m using Zooz tilt sensors (ZSE43) to tell me if my garage doors are open or closed.
Each sensor is in its own Zone. They seem to work just fine for that. But, when I try to make a flow to notify me when their Zones have been active for X time, indicating a door left open, I don’t get any notification. The logic seems very straighforward but I can’t seem to get it. Help?

Do the sensors activate the zone? Indicated by the blue dot below the icon before the zone name in the device overview.
And do you get a message when you make a flow that signals activation of the zone and a flow that signals deactivation of the zone?

Share your flows - it might help us helping you

Acc. the Using Zone Activity support article, Zone Activation can be used with motion and door/contact sensors only:

The Homey SDK documentation also states that only devices with the alarm_motion and alarm_contact capabilities can be used for the Zone Activity option:

And acc. the flow cards in the App Store, it seems that the Zooz tilt sensor doesn’t support alarm_contact as capability, what is needed:

Because I don’t use the tilt sensor myself, please check in Developer Tools → Devices which capabilities the tilt sensor supports.

Btw, please use a meaningful topic title in future.

OK, thanks. So, the Zooz tilt sensors won’t work with Zones. Since I already have these installed, can anyone suggest how to make a flow using a timer? I do have Chronograph but I’m still a rookie at this and don’t see how to make it work.

When…
– Opened
Then…
– Start or replace timer “Garage” with a duration of x minutes

When…
– Closed
And…
–Timer “Garage” is running
Then…
– Stop timer “Garage”

When…
– Timer “Garage” is finished
And…
– Is open
Then…
– Push notification

OK, working through this. However, as I get to the final “And” instruction, I do not have a card for the open tilt sensor. Only the closed card is available. I must have done something wrong. This is my first time using the advanced flow.

Do all these instructions go on the same flow? Do they connect in some way?

Either right-click on the flow card and “invert”…

…or or use the orange line:

You need 3 separate flows as described above, but you can put them all together in one canvas (Advanced Flow).

Aha, canvas, new term. Anyway, I think I did what you recommended, see below. It, however, does not give me a notification.

There also must be an easier way to share a flow from a laptop. I saw a share button once, but can’t find it now.

(attachments)

OK, I maybe figured it out myself. It seems that when the Zooz sensor is vertical, it reports as being “open” (even though the door is closed), and when the sensor moves to the horizontal position it reports as closed. Seems backwards to me, but when I changed the flow cards to the reverse of what you recommended, it works.

You could make an Advanced Virtual Device that reflects the sensor as an alarm and does activate the zone.

I have forwarded this feedback and use case internally. I believe it would be beneficial to introduce a dedicated shock or tilt sensor class in the future, which could also trigger zone activity through either a tilt or shock/vibration alarm. Could also see people using shock sensors on windows for example to detect a window breaking. :thinking:

1 Like

ok, sounds interesting. I have a solution already that works, so I can explore this casually. Based on my past attempts at pretty basic stuff, it could take a while to figure out! Thanks for the idea.

I think taking a screenshot of an Advanced Flow is easier and faster than taking a photo of the screen. Otherwise there is no other option yet.
Only normal flows can be “shared” with this function.