Zigbee rewrite- petition

That limit is only for direct connections to Homey, if they go through relays, more is possible

1 Like

Out of curiosity.
Will that happen automatically? Or do you have to be lucky for that to happen?

So, suppose Homey has 20 devices connected, will the 21st then ā€˜failā€™, or will that automagically connect to one of the available routing devices? (in the assumption that all devices are in range to connect directly)

It will probably fail because it has to connect to Homey firstā€¦

Zigbee pairing can be done through routers, the device doesnā€™t need to connect to the controller (Homey) first.

1 Like

A zigbee rewrite that is in progress for almost 2 years is not really happening. It is obvious that they are working on other things mostly. That is fine, although I donā€™t like it, but please donā€™t put the status on in progress because it is misleadingā€¦

2 Likes

Donā€™t shoot the messenger. :wink:
In progress can mean so many things, a project can definitely be in progress for 2 years, or even 10 years (just ask the dutch military, they can talk all about that).

That is just takes (way) longer then you/we/Athom/everybody ever hoped for doesnā€™t mean that it isnā€™t in progress/worked on, if they really started from the ground up (like i think they are doing), can even think of that they went with a route 2 years ago but eventually came to the conclusion that that route wonā€™t work properly in the end, maybe that even happend twice.

That is what happend with z-wave +/-4 years ago, then they did a re-write (that took 3-4 months, not fully finished, as that also took several months to finish the re-write), and it still isnā€™t 100% in working order (4 years later), i guess they donā€™t want the have the same issue(s) with zigbee.

2 Likes

Assumptions, assumptions. Or did Athom tell you this?
It would be something if we would assume all obvious things for the truthā€¦

1 Like

Maybe an obvious question. But besides lifting the 20-device limit. What else should the rewrite make possible?

There is no 20 device limit. Just a 20 direct connections limit. And that one is hardware related thus not changed. (Is what I have heard)

We can expect a better implementation that has (hopefully) stability and functionality that is not available now. What exact will be implemented is not communicated

But we get al because Athom felt is is necesary and not faster because of a petition.

Obviously

And just because of that. Not what consumers want, just what 1 person (read Athom) thinks is best.

2 Likes

Just spent 2 hours trying to solve zigbee issues.

I have about 33 zigbee devices, of which 17 are routers directly connected to Homey. All other devices are non-routing nodes.

• Could not reach certain zigbee devices at all. Flows with unpredictable results on zigbee devices.
  • Sometimes they would work, sometimes not.
  • All manually triggered flows for testing were triggered. Some zigbee devices would not respond to the flow execution
  • generateMap did not work (never got a map, not even after 20+ minutes)
  • tried rebooting Homey (pro). Still the problems persisted, just now with different devices. Still no generateMap.
  • tried rebooting again. Still issues with zigbee. Still no working generateMap.
  • hard power down - wait 20 seconds - power up
  • problems with zigbee finally solved. GenerateMap also works again.

All this time, (35) z-wave devices worked fine. All IP devices worked fine as well.

For me, a zigbee rewrite makes a lot of sense if it could solve these problemsā€¦

Jesus, I thought this would long be solved by now. I left Homey years ago due to the bad ZigBee implementation, and just wanted to come here to see where Homey is at today.

But good job stating the problem and suggesting a petition. These days people become increasingly shy of conflict, and therefore issues are often silenced. The case of important issues being deleted of the forums here was also a case back when I was active, so that is probably still the case too.

Another thing I am also shocked to see, is that the moderator style is also unchanged. @Caseda you are not being really helpful are you? It absolutely amazes me though how much complete nonsense a guy like @Dijker can write, to, I donā€™t even know, try and defend Athom? Seriously dude, what are you doing in this guyā€™s topic?

But @Gas, keep pushing! I get a sense that you really want the Homey platform to be great, and just want to add attention to a critical issue that is currently stopping that from happening. I absolutely think Athom should step up and tell their users what is going on. Tell what they have tried to do, what they are currently doing and what they plan to do. Ask the community for help if they are failing to code it themselves. And definitely educate people like @Dijker, so he doesnā€™t have to sit and helplessly try to create sorry excuses for what ā€œsoonā€ means. Everyone knows that soon is not two years in tech @Dijkerā€¦

3 Likes

Iā€™m not getting any response from Athom on mailā€¦
Gonna keep sending mail to them.

Waiting on 50% off on homeseer.com in may.
Have 6 xiaomi opple that i want to use and some xiaomi waterlekage sensors. But thats not possible before the rewrite is finished.

Which begs the question: did you get any sort of guarantee that they will work after the rewrite?

Im not sure that any developers ever use the words ā€œIā€™l guaranteeā€

I know :smiley: Iā€™m just wondering out loud if the Zigbee rewrite will actually add support for all devices for which development is now being put on hold "because it needs the Zigbee rewrite (which assumes that devs actually know, in quite some detail, what device support will be added in that rewrite).

Iā€™ve got to defend @Dijker a bit here. He simply states what is known (which is next to nothing).

You are shooting the messenger. Which does not help all that much.

2 Likes

Just got feedback from Athom after raising a support ticket.

According to Boaz (thanks!):

• they ARE working on a rewrite for > 1yr
  • they are not nearly finished and want to put quality before time-to-market
  • they are not promising a due date for this reason

FYI.

2 Likes

To be fair; I can imagine that Athom does not want to announce the need for a re-rewrite. So they want to do this rewrite first-time-right (which is impossible). I do also think theyā€™ve build up the hype far to much (unintentionally) and my guess is it will be better, but for sure some stuff will either not work or break. It will leave some people unhappy and saying the old-write was better. Oh well, it is what it is just dont get your hopes up for the mythical re-write if and when it comes. Iā€™m for sure not holding my breath for it.

Or it will be supported thru the aqara gateway. This way we could escape the poor zigbee implementation/ hardware limitations of the homey.
I think after 2 years of using my homey, the power is in connecting different ā€™worldsā€™ together. Instead of connecting everything directly to homey, I now prefer to use a bridge/gateway from the devices I want to use.
So now Iā€™m having a tahoma box, hue bridge en multiple Mi-Light brides. Once the opple switches are supported thru the aqara bridge (and homey app) Iā€™m getting one :slight_smile: