Zigbee alternatives

I found a topic about this issue from a few years ago, but seeing as the situation has changed (Zigbee rewrite, possible new options, future new Homey) it seemed worthwhile to open a new topic.

Like many, I’ve had constant problems with my Zigbee network on Homey. I’ve followed all the advice - setup network again, plenty of routers, new batteries, etc. - but it hasn’t helped. Sensors often drop out and when I get them connected again, it often takes just a few hours or a few days for it to stop working again. I’ve tried adding new routers, removing potentially problematic ones, etc. No dice. The Partner Acceptance Factor is nonexistent :clown_face:

I enjoy using Homey and Homey Flows, but I’d like to consider alternatives for the Zigbee element. I see the following options:

• order Homey 2023 and hope the situation improves
    (pro: no need for new external hubs or extra systems; con: wait time, pricy, might have the same problems)

• order a Conbee 2/Sonoff Stick P, connect to our server or a separate Pi, install Home Assistant, and connect that to Homey
    (pro: inexpensive, has proven to be a stable solution for many; con: external devices, more complicated setup)

• replacing my sensors/switches with a different brand
    (pro: no need for more external hubs; con: pricy to replace them all, might not address the problem)

• buy an Aqara USB hub, as most of the problematic sensors are Aqara
    (pro: cheap, no complicated Home Assistant setup; con: only addresses Aqara devices so less flexible, no clue if this will be stable, especially as I don’t have any Aqara-brand routers)

I’m strongly leaning toward the Conbee/Pi/HA solution, as that has proven to be a solution for many people, but the need to have a Home Assistant install running is kind of daunting.

Am I overlooking a solution? Do you have experience or thoughts on the above?

If a Sensor gets offline, please check its route in the developer page.
I had issues, too. And they werd caused by the routers, not the sensors. I had innr plugs SP220 and they created stange routes causing the disconnect issues. After replacing these devices with others (Osram, innr SP120) all sensors are onlne since months.
Just give it a try.

Yep, I tried that. I’m now down to three Ikea Zigbee repeaters (which people report as working great with Aqara devices) for only a couple of end devices and I still have the same problems.

would this maybe an alternative for Conbee?

If you’re down to 3 Ikea repeaters that give problems (if I understand correctly), then why not simply replace those?
Ikea smart plugs are nowhere reported as giving problems and would only set you back 30 euro’s.
Or simply take Aqara smart plugs if you don t have any other Ikea stuff. Would rule out a Homey app then…

Repeaters without functionality can be added without app as generic Zigbee device. Plugs without energy measure, too.

1 Like

If all goes well new Homey Pro’s will be delivered within 2 weeks to the first users, I expect we know within a month and a half from now how well zigbee will perform.
I would not be making investments in anything right now but just wait a bit.

On the other hand, deCONZ or zigbee2mqtt are much more flexible than Homey in terms of Zigbee functionality, and I don’t see that changing any time soon. Also much cheaper than a new Homey Pro, if you already have a NAS or home server it’ll cost you about €30.