Will Homey Pro support Matter/Thread in the future?

Possibly, provided that such devices actually provide access to the devices they manage. And it would be a bit silly to have “the last smart home hub you’ll ever need” and still require yet another hub-type device.

As for my understanding: if the protocol allows Apple, Google and Amazon to communicate it must be an open protocol and so Homey can connect with it.
Let’s try to not attack a small company for their promotion texts.

I understood Matter uses Thread or Wifi and/or BLE.
So the new bridge isn’t, but the Pro should be able to use Matter.
Or am I missing something obvious?

Any way you look at it, if Homey itself won’t support Thread, you’re going to need another device. Homey might be able to connect to those border routers, provided that it supports IPv6, if it implements a Matter stack.

If you’re using that argumentation, you could also argue that because the Bridge supports BLE, it should be able to use Matter too. But you have to wonder how useful such an implementation would be.

Or to put it another way, Homey Pro could support Matter like it supports Zigbee right now: quite limitedly.

After some research I found this guide by Google that shows how easy it is to connect to a Matter network. Getting Started with Connected Home over IP (CHIP)  |  Google Codelabs. All you need is the chip-tool from GitHub, compile and run it.

Imagine if Homey can connect to all devices that now only work with Google, Apple or Amazon. You’ll need a Thread hub from any brand and you can use Homey for the automations.

1 Like

That would be an app , similar to deconz, right?

I guess you can call it an app, but if Athom makes it they probably integrate it more deeply.
A community sponsored app will take longer though since the chip-tool source has to be ported from c++ to JavaScript by volunteers.

The devil, as always, is in the details. For example, I don’t see anything event driven in this tool, it’s pull-only. Which would make it rather meaningless in a Homey-type situation where you want to (efficiently) listen for events coming from the CHIP/Matter border router.

I have read that Thread uses the same frequencies as Zigbee. So it seems to me that Homey Pro should be able to work as a border router. The only question is if the hardware is capable enough to handle the encryption for Matter.

I’ll just refer back to my previous post: Will Homey Pro support Matter/Thread in the future? - #4 by robertklep

1 Like

So, does that mean my home network is required to use ipv6 to use Thread? In that case Thread is no option for me.

There are IPv6-to-IPv4 solutions for Matter.

Let’s wait and see what the future brings. For now my Homey works perfectly with all my devices so I don’t have any need to change anything. Also I think I have several devices that won’t be updated to Matter anyway.

Why wouldn’t it be possible to use one chip for multiple protocols?

I didn’t mean it’s not possible in general, it’s just not possible with the current Homey hardware.

I don’t think Homey can do that with the current hardware.
But it is also the case with other control units. Home Assistant will also need another Zigbee stick.
There will be border routers that will do the job for Homey. Homey apps for these routers will not be long in coming.
But it will be years before Matter becomes a mass product. Until then, there will be a new Homey that will also support Matter.

1 Like

Depends on which Zigbee hardware you’re using, the current Sonoff Zigbee dongle which is gaining popularity costs about €20 and will be able to support both Zigbee and Thread at the same time (uses the same SoC as Home Assistant’s SkyConnect and Yellow). If you happen to already have one, it’ll just be a firmware upgrade.

Oh?

Oh?