White to warm colour pallet in flow

Hi,

Can anybody explain why the white to warm colour pallet which is only available when controlling the light bulbs direclt from the device tab (grouped or individual)? It never shows when you try to set the colour through a flow. Same occurs for my Yeelight and Ikea light bulbs. Probably can set it by fiddeling with the colour tint settings, but the preset in the pallet are just fine for my needs and i can’t grasp why it’s not available in flows.

I thought this was related to the group app, but it’s the same when i only try to set the colour for a single light bulb through a flow.

Kind regards

You mean color temperature? as that is what it is called in flows, but not just in flows, that is what it’s called generically for changing the white temperature of a light

1 Like

To add some more detail : colour temperature is different to color hue, it utilitze a completely different set of LEDs and not all lights which can change colours cant necessarily change temperatures (livingColours). You will even find most lights have to ‘change modes’ in order to go from colour to temperature …

And thats why they are different things on flows.

And also why when setting up a ‘group’ you will need to add saturation, hue, tempreature and mode - in order to be able to have access to everything.

1 Like

Thanks for both your replies.

To clarify my questions:

When setting a colour through a flow only the following pallet is shown

When going to the same device group (as used above for setting the flow) and manually changing the colour the following pallet is shown as well. Which i can’t seem to find when setting the colour within the flow.

As mentioned with the flow, you want to use the flow “set a temperature” in order to change the colour temperature… not set a colour.

1 Like

Perhaps i don’t understand you correctly.

The first screenshots sets the colour.
The second screenshots sets the colour temperature right?

When i go to “set a temperature” within a flow i’m presented with a percentage slider.

What i don’t get is why the i can’t use the same presets (or colour temperature pallet shown in screenshots 2) which are provided when i’m setting the “colour temperature” from the devices tab.

Problem is that i need to compare the effect of the percentage slider with the effect of clicking on the one of the presets when setting the the lights manually. Seems unnecessary cumbersome, but sure in the end i will find my setting.

1 Like

the white colors on the GUI aren’t representative at all, the blue ish color doesn’t always get as blue as the GUI states, the same goes for the warm white color, so saying that the GUI is better is relative.
All brands have a different range realistically (as example: philips hue 2200K - 6500K, ikea 2700K - 6000K).

but all the yellow to blue is doing is also just setting 0,00 - 1,00, so the flow will do the same, 8 options in GUI, when in the 8 option selection instead of the “full-range” makes these values
0,00 (0, blue/cold)
0.125 (12.5%)
0.25 (25%)
0.375 (37.5%)
0.50 (50%)
0.625 (62.5%)
0.75 (75%)
0.875 (87.5%)
1.00 (100%, yellow/warm)

as for the, but why does color have it?
well color flow card sends 2 values, the hue value (which has its own flow card, also a dim slider) and saturation (also has its own flow card, which is a dim slider), temperature doesn’t need it.

1 Like

Thanks again for your reply.

Not saying it’s better. Just seems easier to set things up.
I’m testing the manual settings on the lights first, so whatever real colour comes out and how it relates to the colour shown in the pallet is not relevant for my usage.

Your overview is helpful in converting the settings to percentage slider values. Though i’m not trying to figure how to get the same effect from configured through a flow (overview still comes in handy though).
I was just wondering why the controls defer, while most manual controls compare to the options you’ll get when setting up a flow.

I don’t know why they decided to use a slider rather than the UI element, perhaps to give users more control to set it to what ever value they want rather then 1 of 8. Ideally both are options, perhaps you could make a feature request.

1 Like

@Dondersteen I’m also interested using a color temperature instead the hue Or saturation . I use Fibaro rgbw controller and I can’t get to my white warm color again.

So I’m asking the community is it possible to use a color setting by only kelvin?
Or does anybody know wich percentage og number is 2700 kelvin on hue or saturation?
Does anybody heard about lumen centric lightning? Is it possible to set this up by flow?
“It means u are increasing the light color as the lux value / more daylight is rising and turning to more warm white yellow within the evening.

1 Like

As i already mentioned above, the range every brand of light (some brands even have different ranges on certain lights) has is completely different, let alone for all the different strips out there, there is no default way to know what percentage will be what amount of K (Kelvin), you either need to find the data sheet of your light/strip and calculate the Kelvin range to Percentage, or guess.

1 Like

Just for understanding u better. If u got a led stripe 2700 kelvin so will 100 % be 2700 kelvin of this stripe?

if it is only 2700K, then there isn’t much choice other then 2700K?

if it is a range 2700K to for example 5500K then yes, 100% is 2700K and 0% is 5500K,

if it is the fibaro rgbw controller with a rgb(w) strip connected you are talking about, then it will calculate rgb(w) values to get a color temperature range as rgb(w) (with no, or only 1 white color) it is impossible to get light temperature otherwise.
But that is also dependent on all other LED’s, there is no strip that is made the same, so it is pretty much impossible to know before hand/really calculate what the end result will be.

1 Like

I got a RGBW Stripe, did not found out much about the data sheet. Anyway I tried hue and saturation settings within steps by changing the value about 15 or 10 for trying getting the warm white color but I did not Manegen it. My RGbW stripe is connected to a Fibaro RGbW controller, before I had a different controller there was no problem finding right color.

https://www.el-produkter.no/files/el-produkter.no/documents/DATABLAD/INTERIØR%20BELYSNING/LED%20STRIPE%20IP20/RGB_W/DATABLAD%20-%20RGBW%2014,4W%20IP20.pdf

so why use hue and saturation, and not just the color temperature option the rgbw controller has?

The whole white option don’t work. Do u mean the color circle of pre programmed colors?
I like to use flow by changing light temperature when the lux value is changing from my motion sensor that’s why I tried to use hue option or saturation. But it don’t worked out.

aaah they’ve broken the driver again :sweat: i guess you should file a issue (too) towards athom for that.
For now, you could see if you can work around it with the flow card where you can change the individual channel(s).
Didn’t test it again myself since the last update this/last(?) week where something changed in there.

Thanks for your advice, I see that I can workaround with a flow by setting a specific brightness by color. This is the closes I can get :slight_smile:

I’ve requested to add the white / colour temperature pallet in the flow editor. For now I’m fine with using the settings to percentage overview Caseda provided, but perhaps other users might be helped with this feature as well.

Thanks everyone for your replies and support!

1 Like