Unable to pair Nanoleaf Matter Essentials A19 bulbs

I have three nanoleaf matter A19 bulbs. They were connected to Homey and HomeKit just fine. Then one disconnected just from Homey (not HomeKit). I went through all kinds of troubleshooting steps and finally disconnected from HomeKit and homey. Updated firmware (which was apparently a critical firmware update) and was easily able to add back to HomeKit. However, when trying to add back to Homey Pro it is impossible. I put in pairing mode in HomeKit, go to homey and add via iOS Matter. It seems to add okay to homey then when “searching” it can’t find it and fails. I have tried this now 30-40 times and it just DOES NOT WORK. I am so frustrated. Does someone know what is going on?

Okay, I feel like a total dummy. After two days of troubleshooting, I realized I had not tried the most basic IT troubleshooting move; I had not restarted the Homey Pro. As soon as I restarted the Homey, everything added just fine. I hope this helps save someone a huge amount of frustration. In fact, I probably could have saved my original disconnected Nanoleaf by just restarting the Homey first instead of trying to repair (I don’t think Matter “repairs” well). Although I did discover that there was a critical Nanoleaf update, so I guess the trouble was worth it. Although now I have to rebuild my Moods. Just so you know, it appears that Nanoleaf does not receive firmware updates via HomeKit. You have to sort of dual connect to the Nanoleaf app and then update that way.

I have now had multiple Matter over Thread devices disconnect from Homey Pro 2023. I think something must have happened when HomePod OS 17.6 came out. I have an Eve Motion sensor and 3 Nanoleaf bulbs that keep disconnecting from Homey. They stay connected to Apples Thread network and are fully functional within that ecosystem, but become non-functional in the Homey ecosystem. I have to completely remove from both Homey and Apple, and then re-add. Anyone else experiencing this? BTW, my Matter over Wifi devices are just fine

So you’re using the HomePod as Thread border router and add them to Homey over Matter? If so, have you tried using Homey as Thread border router instead? (I’m not sure if Homey supports multi-admin pairing mode though)

Yes, I’m using my HomePod as the Thread border router and then added to Homey. My matter devices had been working very reliably for quite some time. I had not had a single problem. However, when I first started this post, on 8/2, about my Nanoleaf bulbs, one of the bulbs had spontaneously disconnected from Homey (but not the Homekit thread network). At the time, I thought it was just random. But then yesterday or the day before my Eve Motion disconnected from Homey and then yesterday two of my three Nanoleafs disconnected. I researched the last HomePod update and it occurred on July 29th, just a few days before all this started.

Anyway, yes I think I might try to pair directly to the Homey Pro. I agree, I don’t think it can do multi-admin. Fortunately, HomeKitty shares back to the Apple ecosystem great. It’s just annoying because it kind of defeats the purpose of Matter. Thanks for your help :slight_smile:

Hopefully, my final update on this. After I posted my last post, the third of the three Nanoleaf bulbs had disconnected. I was ready to remove from Apple and connect to Homey Pro as the Thread Border Router. However, before I tried connecting to the Homey directly as the Thread border router, I had one more thought. I realized that my AppleTVs were also part of my Thread network (not just the HomePods), and since I strongly believe that it had something to do with the Apple 17.6 update, I decided to check their status. I checked the first AppleTV and it was already auto-updated to 17.6. But the other two were still at 17.5.1. I updated those two AppleTVs and restarted my Homey Pro. To my surprise and delight, the three Nanoleaf bulbs were now reconnected to Homey Pro. I think maybe having two out of my 8 Thread Border Routers at a different version must have caused some instability in the network. I wanted to wait a couple days before I posted this, to make sure my Thread devices have remained connected. As of this morning, everything is working well. This is a pretty unique situation, but hopefully it will help someone else who might be experiencing this.

1 Like

New update. Yesterday, I discovered that both my Wifi Matter switches were disconnected from Homey Pro but not Apple Home. This was very disappointing. I’m not sure exactly when it happened. In fact, 5 days ago when I posted “BTW, my Matter over Wifi devices are just fine,” I did not realize that their automations were still being run by Apple Home. I did not remember this, so it is possible that they were disconnected from Homey Pro sooner. I don’t know. Regardless, I restarted Homey and they reconnected. Then today, my Eve Motion disconnected from Homey Pro but stayed connected to Apple Home. Very frustrating. This is the second time the Eve Motion has disconnected from Homey. I decided to do a factory rest and add it directly to Homey via Matter. Unfortunately, despite many attempts I was not able to get it to connect to Homey directly. It would “see” the Eve Motion but would get stuck on connecting to Thread. I decided to reconnect to Apple Home and pair back through Matter to Homey. This worked. My hope is that by completely reseting and reconnecting, this won’t happen again.

Wow. In under an hour, the Eve Motion disconnected from Homey (not Apple Home) again. So I’m done with this. I don’t have time for this. I’m either going to have to use a different motion sensor (I have a bunch of Aqaras) or try connecting directly to Homey again. I went back to trying to connect directly to Homey. I was successful this time after about 5 tries. I was successful this time by restarting Homey and then using the Eve app (not the generic Matter that I had been using before) when connecting to Homey. I am now connected again. If this fails, I will post here

This all sounds like Homey’s famously unstable networking :roll_eyes:

Literally the only thing the Eve app does is provide icons for the different devices. Everything else is passed to the generic Matter driver.

The Eve Motion just now disconnected. Super frustrating. The Eve NEVER disconnected from HomeKit. When I upgraded it to Thread/Matter, it started failing. But not failing with HomeKit, failing with Homey. There is clearly a problem with Homey’s implementation of Matter/Thread. Regardless, I don’t have time for this, so I am replacing with an Aqara P1 Zigbee motion sensor. I have NEVER had an Aqara sensor disconnect from Homey. I hope Homey makes this a priority as Thread/Matter are supposed to be the future. More and more devices will be “supported” by Homey via Matter/Thread, only to find out later that they are super unreliable. This will reflect poorly on Homey. I really love Homey, so I hope they fix it

I had the same problems with the Eve Motion via the Homey thread, since I integrated it via the Apple thread everything works perfectly.

Do you have a lot of Zigbee devices paired with Homey?

I have 45 Zigbee devices. In regards to ChrisG’s response, when you say you have it integrated via Apple Thread; that’s how I had it before, but it kept disconnecting from Homey. Are you saying that, when connected to Apple’s Thread network, it stays connected to Homey for you?

Zigbee and Thread are handled by the same chip inside Homey. Others that use the same chip (like the SkyConnect dongle from Home Assistant) advice against using both protocols on the same chip at the same time, due to instability issues.

I agree. That’s probably the issue. I remember when they first activated Thread/Matter, I tried to add my Eve Energy plug and it threw off my whole Zigbee network. I realized that they shared the same radio and figured they would solve it with software. As the updates have been released, things seemed more stable. But now I’m realizing that, maybe not so much. BTW, ever since I finally got it connected, my Eve Energy has been stable this whole time, connected via the Apple Thread Network and shared with Homey. Maybe it is just the Motion?

The Motion still worked in Apple Home when it stopped working in Homey, which doesn’t suggest the issue is with the Motion.

I agree on the Motion. BTW, I was just testing my other devices and one of my three thread Nanoleaf bulbs just disconnected from Homey. It still works perfectly with HomeKit, but totally non-functional with Homey. For now, I’m going to pause on Matter/Thread with Homey. I’m actually hoping they come out with a new Homey that separates the Zigbee from the Wifi from the Thread radios, and also upgrades the Z-wave to LR. I’m not looking forward to spending the money, but I would really like the updates. Thanks robertklep for being so involved. Us Homey fans have to stick together :slight_smile:

I’m not a Homey fan, I haven’t used Homey for my home automation for years now :sweat_smile:

I don’t care how my home automation looks but how it works, and Homey just doesn’t work for me due to instability, often lagging to support new devices, and lack of features. Case in point: I recently asked when Homey would support Matter 1.3 (since 1.2 lacks certain features for smart locks that makes it very awkward to use with most European locks), and the response was “it’s on our list, but no timeline yet”. And this is common with Homey: a half-implementation of a certain feature, then focus shifts to something else new and shiny, and you’re left with a lot of half-implemented features.

Anyway, rant over.

That surprises me as you are so knowledgeable and helpful with all things Homey. However, I do share your frustration. I have struggled with Homey since I bought it. Regardless, I suspect you have gone the Home Assistant route. I did HA for a while but the automations can get so cumbersome. I love Flows in Homey

I think flows are the main selling point of Homey, and for good reason. But at some point, you have pretty much automated most of your home and you just want something that’s stable and provides you with a system that doesn’t require workarounds for bugs or to make up for the lack of functionality.