[TUTORIAL] Trigger a flow using calendar events

Oh so good! the moment.format is super nice!
The format works perfectly.
Thank you once again!

However, I am getting a bit of some wrong data.

ical

My Next event title and Next event start/end time is correct but that will start on the 14th, not the 3rd.
Todays events is showing yesterdays event and count.

I have never used/noticed “Variable” (contains), what are those and are they supposed to be “-”?

It might sound like you have used the wrong format, maybe switched Do and do ?

1 Like
1 Like

@Peter_Kawa How do you get that capital letter on the weekdays I used this designation:
ddd DD-MM

I get small letters.
If I change that small d to big it doesn’t make sense anymore.

Indeed I did … facepalm

1 Like

ah ok perfect, I did not check github, only the top of the thread.
I’m starting to get the hang of the community, I am still a newborn xD

It depends on your locale.

3 Likes

ah okay and that can certainly not be changed because then hole homey will change?

Correct. The locale is determined by the Homey itself. If your Homey is set to one of the languages my app supports, it will use that locale. If it’s set to another language which my app doesn’t support, it will fallback to english (en)

1 Like

Yes my Homey is set to English.

Hi everyone,
I’m using IcalCalender for my vacation home to switch on or off the heating, when guests move in or out.
My logic should work but I’m using “Title” (or “Next eventtitle”) for starting different actions and it looks like that “Title” is mixed up.

I have two flows:
Event starts

Event ends (with “Any event is ongoing”)

For testing I’ve set up 4 calender events behind each other with 15 minutes duration:
15:00 - Guest A
15:15 - Guest B
15:30 - Guest C
15:45 - Guest D

Because the “Event ends” flow doesn’t work, I let it sent me the “Title” and “Next eventtitle” via Push Message every time it’s executed, and I get the following:
15:00 - Guest A

• No “Event end” flow

15:15 - Guest B
PM send at 15:16 with

• Title: Guest A (I would expect “Guest B”)
  • Next Eventtitle: Guest C

15:30 - Guest C
PM send at 15:31 with

• Title: Guest B (I would expect “Guest C”)
  • Next Eventtitle: Guest D

15:45 - Guest D
PM send at 15:46 with

• Title: Guest C (I would expect “Guest D”)
  • Next Eventtitle: Nothing

Does anyone know why “Title” uses the title of the previous event? Especially as I’m using “Any ongoing event” I would expect that it uses the title of the actual event. Is it a bug?

As long as you are using the Title tag from the trigger card, the Title tag will reflect the Title from the event being started.

I don’t see your full flow so it’s kind of hard to know what’s going on. Could you please share your full flow?

The Next event title is a global tag and has nothing to do with the tags from the trigger card. The Next event title always holds the name for the next event to be started

Okay, thanks for clarifying.
Here are my full flows.
Event begins

Event ends

I use the “Title” to differentiate between periods. If “Nicht verfügbar” (Not available) is the title, the heating should turn off as well. As the start and end time can be the same, I place the “delay” in the event end flow to make sure that the “event ends” flow is executed after the “event starts” flow, but it still returns the title of the previous event instead of the actual running event. Whereas “Event starts”, which runs before, gives me the correct title of the newly starting event.

My event test set up in Google calender looks like this:

Just tried here and everything works as expected.

Skjermbilde 2023-03-30 kl. 19.03.15

Okay, I’ll check it again but your results are mixed up as well. “Event b starts” before “Event a ends”. Is there any possibility to bring this in the right order?
For triggering a heating it’s not useful if it’s turned one with “Event b starts” and directly turned off again with “Event a ends” after.

If you look at the timestamps, they are logged at the exact same time, meaning they are equal and Homey will anyway be the one who determines which trigger card will be triggered in which order.

You see this on Event b ends and Event c starts

Okay, thanks. Then I’ll have to find a different solution for this.

If you have these events in a separate calendar you can use the Event ends trigger and the condition card Event containing ... in calendar ... starts within ... to check if the next wanted event starts within a reasonable time

Is it possible to get Ical to read title of al events for next 24/ 48 hours?

Title next appointment only returns one appointment not all.