It started when I installed Philips Hue app for the first time (about a year ago): The Homey would sometimes lose connection to the network.
- Mobile app would not work, displaying instead “Unable to connect” error message. This would typically resolve itself within 10 seconds
- If I’m using the app to modify a Flow and the disconnect happens, I lose my work and have to start it from scratch.
- Scheduled triggers don’t fire when this condition happens. E.g. my morning alarm is no longer guaranteed to ring.
These disconnects happen often enough to make my system unreliable. Ironically, as Philips Hue is probably most popular smart home product on the market, so the fact that this one app makes my entire Homey system broken is a big deal.
The problem only happened when Philips Hue app was installed, so I removed it and tried reinstalling every now and then, considering that the problem is localized within the app.
I reinstalled Philips Hue app every now and then, hoping the problem would be fixed in a newer version. After the problem was not solved within a year, I contacted Homey Support.
What we learnt:
- The problem is really Philips Hue app specific, no other app experiences it.
- It happens even if Hue is the only app installed on my Homey
- CPU/memory usage is OK, and my Hue set up (4 lights) should not represent significant load for it.
- Changing power supply to a more powerful one doesn’t solve the problem.
- Disconnects are fairly short-lived, they happen quite often to be a nuisance, yet without any clear pattern
- Nightly Homey restart doesn’t help.
Homey support promised to pass the ticket further to dev team, and I haven’t heard from then ever since (for 5 months)
Well, I REALLY wanted to automate my Philips lights. So I’ve written an own app for it
Background: I’m a .NET developer, primarily with backend expertise. My Node.js experience is somewhat limited, so newbie mistakes are not unexpected.
Initially, it worked flawlessly. Lights registration, turn on/off, brightness changes, I even created a flow to set a scene on a light group - it all worked well and stable. Then I needed to add light state sync, so that when I turn a lamp on with my wall switch, the Homey system would pick it up - so I implemented light state polling.
And so it was broken again.
The very same symptoms: disconnects, non-working flows, unreliable alarm clock - they all are back.
What it this thing? Can’t Homey handle one REST call every 5 seconds? Am I doing something wrong? At this point I’m crestfallen and only hope the community’s eyes would help me see what I don’t.
A screenshot: how the disconnect looks during app debug