The sad IR - infrared misery

I gave up Homey’s IR more or less right away. A good decision, it seems from this thread. I solved it by using Logitech’s Harmony hub and the Homey harmony app . Works fine.

Thanks for the suggestion Vierdank.
It’s always possible to buy additional stuff to get things running. But IMO is homey quite a bit overselling when they market both RF 433 and IR and none is really working for everything as they state.

1 Like

I understand you are disappointed, but RF433 and IR are working just fine. I can manage all my KaKu and other 433 devices without problems (but to be honest i did do the antenna mod). Also, IR is working for the devices that are supported via an app. Just the learning part isn’t. So “none is working” is a bit overdone imo…

None of the devices I want to use at least work.
But still. It’s would really be basic to feks support at least Prontohex, if not learning. Most of the remotes have the hex code available.

1 Like

And you didn’t check if your devices were supported before spending your money?

I do have more devices. Like a ring.com cmas (which by the way also does not work even if it has an app) and many z-wave products of course. But mainly bought it and wanted to switch from smartthings hub because of the ir and rf support as mentioned above. And yes was stupid enough to suppose that at least mainstream products like epson beamers would be supported.

Ring is (was) working fine until the last update. Maybe you should try the excellent search function of this community before fulminating on stuff that is already known for quite some time and in fact a bit of old news…

Sorry if you take it personal. But from a product which costs that money I would expect something else. How do you think you would react if you bought something and you need to find out that it was working until the last update. :slight_smile:
“already known for quite some time and in fact a bit of old news” So if it’s old news, why is it still there? And yes I have read that post. But fact is that it does not work. Can you agree on that?

1 Like

No, i can’t. Sorry. You switched because you “thought this was a good deal”. You now just joined the community to complain about that. It seems you are not looking for any solution, you just want to explain that you’re thoughts were wrong. Alas, peanutbutter.

Look I’m happy that you are happy with the product. :slight_smile:
And if I’m not allowed to express my disapointment about the quality of a product I’m sorry about that. But it seems I’m not the only one being disapointed from what I can read in the threads. And yes please if you have a solution let me know.

2 Likes

The “solutions” are already available on the forums. Do a search or complain at Athom or maybe you can get your money back?

There are a lot of people that come here only to complain about them thinking Homey would do this or that. Ir does work, 433mhz does work … only not as aspected or how we all wished it would. I do complain a lot about Athom and Homey but i try to be at use for the community as well.

This forum is a community forum…

2 Likes

YES!!! Homey is investing in Infrared again???

Tomorrow is April 1st. Is the joke a day early? :thinking:

Their action on fixing IR and making it a “useable” feature has always been a joke. Not holding my breath … Same with 433Mhz…

What is wrong with that?

Athom’s data base for RF based appliances and devices is incomplete and is lacking. Half my gear comes up as not listed. Others have also complained about this.

It wouldn’t be so bad if Homey had the ability to learn RF remote controls but for some odd reason they have never implemented this. A couple of years ago Athom promised they would fix it but nothing ever came from it.

So many people on the internet have complained about this issue. Leaning codes is such a basic and essential feature when dealing with RF… It’s crazy Homey can’t do it.

Basically it makes having the inbuilt 433mhz transmitter useless. Most people end up having buy and plug in an RF bridge …

You can let Homey learn rf, (just like IR), but my (kaku) devices did not respond to a copied remote signal.
The result is the same though. With the kaku app it works fine.
https://developer.athom.com/tools/signals

1 Like

I’m familiar with the sniffing tool thats located in the developer section. Ok so Homey can physically read codes. How do you create a Virtual remote control device and actually “use” the recorded code. ?

That’s great for “you” . How does this help with the hundred’s of RF products that don’t work with the system ?

Build an app for them. Others did for Kaku and other 433 based devices…

Easyyyy , anyone can do that … :crazy_face:

Buy a $600 hub but then spend hours making the sh@t work yourself … That makes total sense. Getting Athom to make a simple RF remote learning app, that would be crazy… hahaha. I like your logic…