The new Homey Pro — Ask Me Anything

Sharp, Geurt :wink:

But, if you meant IP-address, HansieNL: yes
Best practice is to reserve IP addresses with your router / dhcp server, and not by entering a static IP address in a devices’ network settings:
https://duckduckgo.com/?t=ffab&q=how+to+reserve+ip+address+on+router&atb=v344-1&ia=web

1 Like

Good Question for the AMA for Emile,
I have nothing seen so far of Homey Pro Early 2023, could be that both Wireless and Wired request an automatic DHCP address but Who knows there comes an settings menu for networking in the next Homey Firmware or maybe it appears only in the App for the New 2023 model.

1 Like

Hi Emile,

Like to know in the AMA what the reason is to not support ledring app control anymore in the new homey pro. Because homey core is still in my knowledge controlling this and there are standaard cards for this it looks to me a software developing choice.

The speaker not present anymore is a pitty, but understand from the dutch forum part that you are aiming on a small wifi speaker development in future markets what you can put all around your house that will be a better and wider voice experience like the movies you are talking to an “AI” in your house or spaceship :wink:

When apple got rid of the dvd drive we where also not happy at first, but after a while it did’t matter anymore.

1 Like

Hi,

I’m still new to the community and Homey. I couldn’t get my hands on the Early 2019 version of Homey Pro which is now sold out and I’m currently on the waiting list for the 2023 version. What I could find was the Home Bridge which I’m currently very much enjoying.

There are a lot of apps which I would like to try but they are not supported on the Bridge nor the new upcoming 2023 Pro. Scanning the forums it seems like a lot of them are developed by the community and uses SDK v.2 which won’t be supported going forward.

As I am (and potentially other people are) now stuck in limbo not being able to get the old version to try these apps out nor being able to try them on Homey bridge or getting the new version of Pro, is there a chance for the SDK v.2 apps not to be removed already the 1st of January 2023?

Thanks for a great product!

Cheers,
Rich

Hi! I’ve ordered the new homey pro and like so many others ive been looking in to the apps and which ones are sdk 2/3 and what problems i might have to migrate my current setup to the new pro. One thing i that im having problems figuring out how big of a problem i might have is with my “PA-announcement system”. I use a setup of multiple google mini speakers to announce when the dishwasher etc is done.

The Google TTS app which i use today is sdk 2 but i know that googles services app will be supported so i installed that instead just to be more familiar with it when the new homey pro will arrive. It works like a charm so no questions there.

However i did find that the google chromecast app developed by athom will not be supported for the new homey pro. This will be my main concern since that app is key to be able to use TTS of any kind with the google mini speakers (as far as i know)

My question is, is there any substitute app planned or am i missing something? Looking at the homey pro info on the website i find this:
screenshot

How will i be able to localy communicate with my google chromecast devices (google mini speakers in this case) if the app wont be suppported on the homey pro 2023?

1 Like

Curious what your source is, Fredrik :wink:
While it would be completely hilarious when Athom does not upgrade their own app…

About Google TTS app:
You can drop de developer @denniedegroot a note, if he wants to upgrade or transfer the TTS app.

1 Like

Hi!
My source is homey’s own website

regarding google tts i realy appreciate the functionalty of the app but i thougth it wouldn’t be nice of me asking for a rewrite for sdk3 if the google chromecast wasn’t supported by athom, couldnt do much with it then since i use my google devices for the TTS announcements.

1 Like

Yes, that ‘warning’ is placed on any SDK2 app’s page… a message a bit too ‘direct’ if you ask me… A little explanation ther would’ve been nice.
This however does not say they are not going to upgrade it, does it?
We can expect Athom keeps its own apps up-to-date I hope.

1 Like

you’re right, maybe im wrong doing the assumption that it won’t be upgraded. I may have been misslead since the “prompt” for sdk2 apps are different for community apps, it then states that i should contact the developer (if there are any contact info). I cant find any info regarding the chromecast app and why it wont be supported by pro 2023, i made the assumption that its sdk2.

Maybe my question should then rather be how athom will approach all of the sdk2 apps that they have made themselfs, will they be upgraded and supported by pro 2023?

1 Like

Ah I now understand how you took the warning.
I think this is less alarming to folks when they write something like: “At this moment, this app is not yet compatible …”

1 Like

Really? Please have a look at this post and you will loose your trust in Athom.

1 Like

I may have jumped the gun and made assumptions/missunderstod the information given at the app page for chromecast.

I took a look at the list of unsupported apps and found these that are developed by athom

Gallery

Google Chromecast

Homey Developer Award

Homeyduino

Mi•Light

Rainradar

Vaillant

Ziggo

Ziggo Horizon SetTopBox IR

I dont know if some of these apps have been replaced or are even used but perhaps athom could verify wether or not thet will be supported. For me personaly its chromecast that’s of interest and as already mentioned i read in the marketing info that “homey pro can communicate with LAN-only devices such as google chromecast” so i do hope that it will be updated and supported.

Homey Pro Ethernet Adapter can it use PoE to power Homey pro?

No

Yeah I alr did read that post, but to me it’s not “real real” if there’s no screenshots of the actual ticket and answer going with it & there’s zero response by other Mi app users.

But, on the other hand, Athom’s ways can be “odd”, and the reviews indicate the app was abandoned years ago (last update 2019)…

Still, I would be surprised when Athom don’t update Google apps…

WeejeWel a.k.a. Emile:
Screenshot from 2022-10-24 20-46-12

1 Like

:raised_hands:t2:

1 Like

Hi Peter,

Somewhat surprised at your answer that it wouldn’t be real because no screenshots were taken of actual ticket and the corresponding answer. I want to email you all emails so that you are convinced.

Your request (46985) has been updated. To add additional comments, reply to this email.

Hugh (Athom)

19 Oct. 2022 12:59PM CEST

Hi Ben,There are no plans for this particular app. For the lion’s share of our own apps, the switch is certainly made to SDK3.

Dear Regards,

Hugo

The Athom support team.

Stay posted on Facebook by liking our page: https://www.facebook.com/homey !

**Ben **

19 Oct. 2022 11:48AM CEST

Hi Hugo,

Where I am also surprised that you expect the developers to transfer it to SDK3 and you do not do it yourself.

Gr. Ben

On Wed 19 Oct. 2022 11:41 Hugo (Athom) wrote <support@athom.com>:

**** 19 Oct. 2022 13:24 (5 days ago)

to Athom

Strange? This is also its own app!

On Wed 19 Oct. 2022 12:59 Hugo (Athom) wrote <support@athom.com>:

That’s good news!

I’m testing with the new situation to send an url to google nest/ mini with the nice written app google services from @Arie_J_Godschalk that have an and card for speak with finish function what I can use to trigger afterwards music again to the speakers, but retrieving the current broadcasted source to chromecast is a challenge in the original chromecast app. Also Spotify broadcasting is not possible to chromecast even with the Spotify app unfortunately.

Is there a way to do this? or maybe in the new homey pro 2023 firmware version?

And wil the current homey TTS voice be possible to sent to an URL?