This has been working very well since last summer, but last days/weeks I noticed some gaps in my graphs. These graphs show hourly data and also totals per day of the last month. During the last months there were some days missing, so there have been multiple days without correct data readings.
I started digging around a bit and found out that at this moment the device itself in Homey quite often reports “Apparaat Onbeschikbaar request to http://192.168.1.87:82/smartmeter/api/read? failed, reason: connect EHOSTUNREACH 192.168.1.87:82”
At the moment when this error is present, I am able to connect to the device via its webinterface (by browsing manually to above url).
I investigated a bit further and concluded that at this moment the Homey app only does the first reading correct and the next readings give above connections issues (see above). This conclusion is based on:
If I change the polling interval in the app the first reading goes fine again, the second one after the given time interval gives again connection issues (I can check it with the stopwatch). During this time the webinterface keeps working.
If I restart the app, the first reading is fine again, the rest is exactly the same as by 1.
So my conclusion is that the app itself only does the first reading correct with the current version. I only don’t understand why
For now my workaround is to restart the app manually once a day (in an automated flow), so I have at least one correct reading per day (this is required for the daily graphs).
I wanted to report this here because some others might have the same issue and either look for a solution or know a solution. I’ll try to inform the app and/or device developer as well.
Note added 1 day later: the 1st reading is not show the actual values. Homey gives the last successfully read values (which are now 2 days old) and gives a connection error when the 1st (and subsequent) updates fail. This also means my workarounds don’t do anything…
Ah, good to know. I don’t see it with other apps I use but then it is likely to be a Homey issue and not a specific app issue. I use the Shelly app to read 2 Shelly 3EM, this app or these devices luckily still work well.
Another update: originally I thought the first read of the smart meter was going well, but actually it isn’t. It uses the latest successfully read value (without an error message) and then the next attempt to update the value end with the connection error message.