Ring Security - Extend Heimdall with Ring Security products

Just bought a Ring v2 keypad yesterday to test and see if it works better than my other keypad. At first, everything worked perfectly, built some flows, etc. This morning I discovered the keypad wasn’t sending information anymore (looks like a keypad issue and not this app, but could be related). After about 5 min it worked again (without doing anything)…10 min later it stopped working again, etc.

• Have tested it right next to Homey, so direct Z-Wave connection, same issue.
  • The unit still responds to “Send test frame” etc.
  • With or without a power supply connected, it seems fully random when the problem occurs.

Also, what I did notice is that the Tx Queued is pretty high (I know that doesn’t have to say anything, but it’s quite high compared to all other devices) Also I noticed “Secure (Access)” and not S2 (as referred to above.

Furthermore, everything worked fine last night, that was before I made any user pin in Heimdall, this morning the problems started. That doesn’t mean it is related to the issue of course. (can’t delete the 1st user anymore, so can’t test it either)

All just observations that might give some more insights into why this problem occurs.

@DaneedeKruyff If there is any more information that could help you investigate the issue more, feel free to let me know. And :+1: for the app, works great, easy to set up etc :+1:

Hi @Chris_nl

I don’t think there is anything I can help you with, this sounds like Z-Wave issues.

Having created a user with a pincode in Heimdall doesn’t make any difference, the communication between the Ring Security App and Heimdall is an API connection internally in Homey.

I understand, but I can imagine (and I haven’t looked into it yet), that when you set up a pin homey will start communicating the status (of Heimdall) with the panel, at least now I have 1 of the 3 top buttons light up, before I set up the pin it didn’t do that. so I’m more hinting towards collisions or something like that.

Will set it up with my test homey (2019) in a minute without making any users and test it for a while, see what happens

Would be a nice feature for homey. Unfortunately I am not able to add any of the v2 sensors (motion or door) on my homey early 2018. Any known issues?

Hello @Pier_W,

Welcome and thanks for using the Ring Security app. There are no known issues with these devices, could you please describe step by step what you are doing and what goes wrong?

Also, do you have other Z-Wave devices?
Have you checked the Z-Wave information on the Developers Tools? (https://tools.developer.homey.app/tools/zwave)

I also see z-wave problems when the keypad is interacting with Heimdall. As you suggest it seems to be an issue with Homeys z-wave communication, maybe not handling collisions very well.
I have a Homey2016 and rather often experienced that the keypad was not able to send the key sequence to the Homey.
After disabling the setting “work with Heimdall” and restarted the Ring and Heimdall app it works flawless. Of course you will not have the fancy arm mode and arming delay indication, and you need to create flows for arming and disarming, but it works.

Maybe Homey2023 will handle this better?

Or is Heimdall talking to much to the keypad?

Hi @Chris_nl @Anders_Gregow,

That’s an interesting observation Anders. @Chris_nl you don’t have to set up your test Homey for this, just disable the Integrate with Heimdall setting in the devices Advanced Settings and see if the performance of the Keypad is better.

While the communication from the Ring Security app to Heimdall is over an internal API, Heimdall sends out system wide events on many actions, which are available to any app. The Ring Security app listens to these events and on every event evaluates if it has to do something with it against the Integrate with Heimdall setting. (Same goes for sending the entered keys over the API to Heimdall.)

On any occasion the app has to do something with the received information it will send a Z-Wave command to the device. From setting the Surveillance Mode and Lighting up any of the Alarm Buttons to enabling the Sirene, so if the Keypad is suffering from problems on or after receiving commands it’s logical this is noticed when the Integrate with Heimdall setting is enabled.

I will have to look into this, so I have no solution for you right now. I’m not experiencing this myself so it’s a bit hard to troubleshoot.

(Mind you, if you’re reading along and are using Homey Pro Early 2023: Many users of the current Homey Pro Early 2023 firmware 10.0.0-rc.133 are experiencing problems with their Z-Wave networks, please see: Homey pro 2023 - zwave to much traffic error? )

2 Likes

That what I ment with “work with Heimdall”. :smiley:
Was too lazy to look it up.

Let me know if you need help troubleshooting.

I have tested it with Homey 2023, so the Homey version isn’t making any difference here

Thanks, @DaneedeKruyff, I still think it can be a lot of different things causing this issue, including Z-wave issues that have nothing to do with Heimdall. What I did is try to find any pattern in when it is and when it isn’t working, and share my observations, so that we might get some more insights into what is causing the issue, so that hopefully it can be resolved.

I didn’t know about the “Integrate with Heimdall” functionality, will try that as well, so far on my “Test” Homey (2019), it seems pretty stable (without the Heimdall integration), I did have 1 disconnect, but that can also be due to the Z-wave issue (This “Test” homey is currently located further away from Homey, with multiple nodes in between), will test that some more by moving it closer too.

While researching how the keypad communicates, and how secure connections are setup (desk research), I’ve also found this GitHub discussion. I have no clue (yet) if it could be related, but at first sight, it looks to describe similar kinds of issues. Maybe it can point you in the right direction, or give some new insights.

I will do some more testing, in different setups to see if I can pinpoint the pattern that causes the issue a bit more and hopefully, we can find a way to resolve it. If you have any setup you want tested, feel free to let me know.

@DaneedeKruyff , thanks for all the great work and great apps you’ve developed :+1:

2 Likes

What firmware version is your Homey Pro Early 2023 using?

When your Keypad isn’t working, is the connection indicator flashing red?
The post you linked to seem to prove the Proximity Detection is causing problems. Did you set the Use Proximity Detection to No as described in the FAQ

What I’m curious about is, what happens to the Keypad when you change the Surveillance Mode using the Surveillance Mode Switch to change it, or via a flow. (Without you being near the Keypad)

It was set to “NO” by default after installing the app, the GitHub discussion I’ve shared shows at the top part that that might be a solution, but if you scroll to the bottom a bit more, it seems to be resolved in another way (even with the Proximity Detection to yes. I haven’t had any look at your code or anything, so I can’t say it’s the same issue at all, just sharing the information i’ve found so far.

Current version is 10.0.0-rc 122 (latest stable)

So far did not have any issues with that, keypad responds with audio and the right surveillance mode button lights up.

For me it did not flash red, i.e. did not show communication error.

Did the keypad show surveillance mode even if “Integrate with Heimdall" was disabled? I guess should not?

I currently run with “Integrate with Heimdall" disabled and noticed this: The keypad has been working, but yesterday I changed some settings in the keypad (backlight level and level when it turns on) and after that I was not able to arm. The keypad backlight turned on, button tones beeped, no red LED on keypad, but no flow triggered in the Homey2016. I left it as that, and this morning it works fine again.

Could it be that communication TO the keypad disrupts it for a while?

BTW, “ Use Proximity Detection" was disabled by default for me too, but as I was not sure that it was default in the hardware (i.e. the keypad itself) so I enabled it, pressed save, disabled it and pressed save again.

Retried but this time disarm/arm worked fine after the changes, so forget this comment.

Hello Danee,

I start the ring app, learning mode for devices. Devices are not added. In ZWave log homey is activated in learning mode:

However, homey is not connecting/recognizing the devices. Other ZWave devices no problem @ homey. Adding devices in Ring app, no problem.

Thank you for your reply. Best regards, Pier

Since a couple of days, my tamper alarm (in this app) got activated while moving my device, but it hasn’t turned off again, and restarting the application doesn’t resolve it either. Si there any way to deactivate it or do i need to reinstall the device?

Hi @Chris_nl,

The Tamper Alarm responds to powerloss.
Make sure you have the Use tamper Alarm setting set to yes and apply power to the keypad to turn it off (when power was already applied, remove it, wait a bit and reapply it) if you don’t want to use the Tamper Alam set it to no before removing the power.

1 Like

Finding the Manufacturer ID, Product Type ID and Product ID

Now that the new Homey Pro Early 2023 is available in more regions than before, it may be your device is for a region that is not yet added to the app. No worries, this can be fixed!

For it to be available for you, I need to add some information to the device’s driver in the app. Please follow these instructions to find the needed information.

• Add your device to Homey
  • Because the device can’t be mapped to a driver from this app it will be added as a Generic Z-Wave Device, that’s ok, that’s by design!
  • Now open the the device, Click on the Cogwheel to open the settings
  • Click on Advanced Settings and scroll down
  • Please post the information needed to add the device for your region:
  • Manufactorer ID
  • Product Type ID
  • Product ID

(Don’t forget to mention which device we’re talking about here :wink: )

Try restart the Ring-app.
Is “Work with Heimdall” enabled in the keypad?