Ring Doorbell and Camera support for Homey

Is there anyone who has the Ring Chime Pro working with Homey? In a flow you can activate the nooze function for some hours. Works with the Ring Chime but not with the Ring Chime Pro.

Got an odd question for you @DaneedeKruyff

I am noticing that the ring app frequently (every couple of minutes) updates the "“useMotionAlerts” setting of each device - toggling from true to false and then back

All devices settings get updated at once, any idea why this would be occurring?

Hi @Jamie

Hmmm that doesn’t immediately ring a bell, which particular device are we talking about? Can you stop-start the app, let it run for a bit and send me a diagnostics report?

Thanks!

So it is all camera devices (not the chimes) , the “useMotionAlerts” setting gets updated then switched back?

Date Level [Location] [Device] [Message]
[2024-05-29 7:39:45.441] info: Porch Doorbell settings useMotionAlerts have been updated
[2024-05-29 7:39:45.445] info: Back Camera settings useMotionAlerts have been updated
[2024-05-29 7:39:47.284] info: Lounge Thermostat Last seen seconds ago increased from 59 to 66
[2024-05-29 7:39:47.289] info: Study Thermostat Last seen seconds ago increased from 24 to 31
[2024-05-29 7:39:51.282] info: Porch Doorbell settings useMotionAlerts have been updated
[2024-05-29 7:39:51.287] info: Back Camera settings useMotionAlerts have been updated

Ill try and supply you some more information to better hunt it down once I have my new home set up.

In detail :

[2024-05-29 8:09:27.762] info: Porch Doorbell settings useMotionAlerts have been updated

{
    "zone_activity_disabled": true,
    "useMotionDetection": true,
    "energy_value_constant": null,
    "homekit_exclude": false,
    "motionTimeout": 30,
    "subscribeMotionDetection": true,
    "useMotionAlerts": false
}

[2024-05-29 8:09:27.766] info: Back Camera settings useMotionAlerts have been updated

{
    "zone_activity_disabled": false,
}

[2024-05-29 8:09:33.606] info: Porch Doorbell settings useMotionAlerts have been updated

{
    "useMotionAlerts": true
}

[2024-05-29 8:09:33.611] info: Back Camera settings useMotionAlerts have been updated

{
}

[2024-05-29 8:09:45.003] info: Porch Doorbell settings useMotionAlerts have been updated

{
}

[2024-05-29 8:09:45.009] info: Back Camera settings useMotionAlerts have been updated

{
}

[2024-05-29 8:09:50.840] info: Porch Doorbell settings useMotionAlerts have been updated

{
}

[2024-05-29 8:09:50.846] info: Back Camera settings useMotionAlerts have been updated

{
}

That operates on a scheduled retrieval of data, I’ll see if I can have the app log this and try this myself.

Moved - Sorry about that.

New version published

Version: 2.11.1

• Improved error handling.

I have three problems.
The first is transferring the snapshots from the ring app to an ftp drive (or sending a message with image). I keep getting the error “Invalid Image Buffer”. This error does not occur constantly, but without a fixed rule.
I have logged on and off, reinstalled, the snapshot is recorded and sent with a delay. I have tested the ftp drive both via the Synology app and in the ftp app. A check of the signal quality during transfer showed no problems. I am using a HP2023.
To check whether the triggering of the signal in the Ring app (homey) is the problem, I installed and connected Ring in homeassistant in parallel. It turns out that in the Ring app (homey, “Signal from Ring”) movements are displayed much less frequently than in the Ring app in homeassistant (“Movement detected in the doorway (-62dBm)”. This is the second problem, I don’t know how this difference comes about.
The third problem is that when I have a snapshot on the ftp drive, it is so late that I don’t see the motion trigger. Unfortunately the ring app on homeassistant is not able to take a snapshot.
Any suggestions for a solution, a point I have not considered?

Hi Rosei,

A few questions;

• What type of Doorbell do you have and how is it powered? Only permanently powered Doorbells are capable of taking a snapshot while the motion alarm is activated.
  • Can you please show the flow you use to create the snapshot?
  • Can you please show the flow you use to do something with your snapshot?
  • Do you see a snapshot in the Homey Developer Tools?

Thanks for the answer
Ad1
They are Video Doorbell (2nd Generation) and Video Doorbell 2, devices run on battery as they are outside of a supply. The battery will be the reason for the incorrect snapshot.
Ad2

Ad3

Ad 4
No

Correction, I see the images in the Developer Tools. Sorry!

Hello there,

I think since a month my ring gen1 chimes are not working in Homey Pro. In the ring app i can test the sound and it works fine. In the Homey Pro app i get an timeout. Tried to redo everything like reset the ring devices. Restarted ring app/Homey Pro but doenst make any difference. Something changed in the api perhaps? Homey Pro does see the devices because i can add them without any problems and also the authentication is fine (according the Homey Pro app)
I am using the Homey Pro early 2023 device.
What am i doing wrong?

Hi Niels,

Just tested this on my old and new Homey, I can Ring the Chime without any problems. There have been no changes to the app and no changes in the API for the chime I’m aware of.
Have you tried revoking the authentication of the Homey app in your Ring account, instructions can be found is this topic through the FAQ.

Hi,

Yes i tried to revoke and re authenticate. Without any luck…

Ok. Could you stop the app, restart it again and after waiting a bit run the flow to ring rhe chime. After that send a diagnostics report and post the number here please.

No luck!

70d9af6c-49fe-4869-97f3-4ed5c35ec9a6

Thank you for looking into it

Thanks. The log looks completely normal, authentication is ok, no errors whatsoever.

To be honest, I have no idea what’s wrong as all boxes are thicked for this to function correctly.

If i make an advanced flow i get a network failure. Strange

Untill a few days ago my Homey sounded the bell on my Sonos speakers throughout the house. I needed to change my password on Ring and the service on Homey understandebly stopped. After repairing everything seemed OK except that the flow does not start on the alarm by Ring. In the Ring app every things works ok and the Chime does sound, so Ring is OK. The testing of the flow is also OK because the Sonos sounds the bell if forced to do. I allready tried to restart everything an after that removed all and installed all again on Homey (app doorbel and flow)
What can be the issue here? I’m at my wits end. Can anybody think of some possible repair proces?

Hi Richard,
Welcome to the forum.

Could you elaborate on the exact steps you took on repairing the device in Homey?