Philips Hue light unexpectedly turned on

Out of the blue, while me and the wife were standing in the living room, the light turned on.

I only ever turn the light on/off via Flows, Google Assistant or mobile.
This is confirmed with the device timeline – I can only find the following events on the timeline:
“Turned on/off by flow
“Turned on/off by me via Google”
“Turned on/off by me via mobile”

According to the timeline, when the light unexpectedly turned on:
“Turned on by Philips Hue, without the bridge”.
How is this event triggered?

This has happened once in July, and again two days ago (Sept 5th).
My Homey was updated to 7.1.3 on Sept 4th.

Try the app developer, maybe he/she can find something in the logs by sending the ‘diagnostics report’.

At the bottom of the app page, you can find support and or contact info

“Out of the hue” that is :upside_down_face:

Could it have been a short glitch in the power, combined with the setting that hue bulbs turn on when power is restored to them?

Try the app developer, maybe he/she can find something in the logs by sending the ‘diagnostics report’.

Is there any way to get this diagnostics report without the developer? I prefer to diagnose issues without bothering the App developer.

Could it have been a short glitch in the power, combined with the setting that hue bulbs turn on when power is restored to them?

If it turned on from a power glitch, why would Homey log that the App turned on the light? Also, why only this light? I have 7 Philips Hue lights in the living room, and only this one turned on unexpectedly. Twice.

With above reasoning, I doubt it’s a power glitch.

If the power is turned on, the light turns on. Then the hue bridge sees the light is on and tels Homey, who registeres it as a change from off to on. But it is true you would expect more lights to be affected, unless it’s a faulty plug or socket.

Some apps provide some level of logging, idk if “Philips without bridge” app does?
Unfortunately pushing the “create diagnostics report” button, sends it to a pre-defined mailaccount.
The user can’t view the report, which is odd.

Yup, can be a loose screw, or bad connector, or even a broken wire.

The lightbulb itself could also have a bad connection inside.
By swapping the faulty light with another one in the room you can eliminate that, if the issue sticks with the socket.

I cut the power to the light manually and reconnected it.
This fully reproduced all ‘symptoms’:

• Timeline mentions “Turned on by Philips Hue, without the bridge”
  • Light reset to full brightness

So I’m inclined to agree that indeed the power was briefly interrupted.
Thanks for your help @Peter_Kawa and @Edwin_D.

2 Likes