Non z-wave door/window sensor, any tips?

Ah, there comes the monkey out of the sleeve!
So Roy and me stating u need extra router devices is useless according to Jon.

Maybe but before the mod it was also working fine.

And that is very user dependend. In one household it works like a charm, in the other it don’t work at all. But hey, Roy also stated that. I for example have triple glass. It’s holding burglars outside, the sun. UV and even Zwave/zigbee. So it’s different for all of us.

If you want a reliable system you need old school copper cable I am afraid. Or a butler.

2 Likes

In case you care. I use a FIBAROs https://www.robbshop.nl/tussenstekker-schuko-z-wave-plus-fibaro

They can also report the current power usage, and be configured to be always on (Homey can also do that from a software level since 3.0,but the FIBARO can do it on a hardware level too)
I use them for my washer and dryer. I now get a push message when either is done. (when power consumption is above 100 watt, a variable is set, and when the power consumption is below 3 watt, it sends a push message and resets the variable). Very convinient!

Edit : other ones can probably do the same, but I chose these

Some guy made a nice post about that also!

A really aggressive discussion. I don‘t like it… :worried:

And u just joined that discussion.

I followed the discussion because I also have an Aeotec Door/Window sensor Gen7. Also I could have said something about the “problems”, but the way of the discussion kept me from it, pitty…

It’s always free to say something about your problems m8. And can you tell us something about your mesh also like how many non-battery powered devices you have?

I have 24 non-battery powered devices and I have no range problems with the Aeotec Sensor.

3 Likes

Something with a pot and a kettle. But hey, i really hope you solve your problems.

33 non-battery powered devices (in total 84) and also no issues with the range at all, even my FLIRs are working fine!

I have several door/window sensors.
Fibaro - zwave - it works, but comparing to other, it has sometimes problem with tamper alarm and battery life is less than 1Y and its expensive. You have temperature reading as add on.
Neo Coolcam - zwave - this one rocks, battery life almost 2Y, works as expected and its cheap.

But my winner is Aqara door sensor - zigbee. Its much smaller, better looking, works without problem and so far battery seems to last (6 months and still 100%).

I have pretty big zwave mesh, antenna mod and also 3 zigbee routers (switch and plugs).

Thanks!
I opted to go for the Aeotec power switch which should double as a ‘repeater’ in the network, to build up my z-wave mesh further. Let’s try this and hope it will allow me to use the door sensors too!

Hi

I’m gonna tone i down a notch but for my particular case you really need mesh to make both z-wave and zigbee to work. Like my garageopener which is powered needed a extender between it to work. There we are talking about 8 meters but with brick walls inbetween. You need to use the heal function in developer.athom.com and look on how the network works and how each node is connected. Try spreading powered ones around the house.

Personally I use mostly z-wave, zigbee has the same limitations but I have way more z-wave powered nodes so then it will cost me to build a zigbee mesh.

I have fibaro and neocam zwave sensors and I replace them with Aquara sensors. They are cheaper, nicer and it’s easier to install (up to 2cm space between magnet and device). I live in a modern house with thick walls and thermoglas.

The way this topic is being “moderated” is repulsive to say the least. This is a community for paying customers and motivated developers. This forum isn’t and shouldn’t be a personal playground! I see that some individuals are carelessly further damaging the Homey brand by provoking aggression instead of toning down the discussion. Somehow, this doesn’t even come as a surprise anymore.

As for me, I’m with the Aqara crew. The sensors are very small, beautiful, dirty cheap and somehow one of them is able to stay connected behind three re-enforced walls in a building polluted with a plethora of wireless signals. Try buying one of them and test the range if the z-wave switch repeater doesn’t do the trick.

1 Like

Totally agree on your first comment!

I have tested with a Aeotec smart switch right in between the door sensor and Homey, which makes the distance to either of them around 3-4 meters. In theory this should extend my z-wave mesh to make the door sensor being reached by homey v.v.
This was the theory.
In reality the door sensors still couldn’t be connected. Is there something I need to do to ‘activate’ the mesh network so that the door sensor is not trying to reach Homey directly but uses the smart switch as its hub (node) to connect with Homey?