MQTT Hub/Gateway

Need to ask.
I want to remove the app and do a fresh restart but i got a lot of sensors for the app and wounder if I delete the app will that remove all devices / Sensors that are connected to the app as i want them all to be deleted to.

App is only collecting sensors data from Homey and publish them to MQTT client - so uninstallation of app will not remove any devices.

If your app is causing high CPU load - I’d start by uninstalling app + uninstalling MQTT client - then try beta if it changes anything for you…

Are you using external MQTT broker or that internal from Menno?

I decided for external Mosquitto, because with older Homey it was too heavy load for it. I do not know how it is with current one, but I use MQTT also for messages from devices out of Homey network and I use Influx for storing historical data, so why to push Homey to edge…

Ok i have uninstalled the both apps from homey but all the sensors that was connected to the apps is still in Homey and i want to do a fresh start as it was ovher 1500 sensors connected to the apps and that i think was the problem from the beginning.
After i removed the apps i also restarted the homey but the sensors is still in Homey ?

I installed the Mqtt Hub app in homey and direct it crashed?
Installed this one to try - MQTT Hub | Homey
And no different from this one that give me tha same issues - MQTT Hub App for Homey | Homey
I am stuck and dont know what to do.

I started with this article - Node Red: A widget based dashboard working with Homey trough MQTT - Apps - Homey Community Forum

this helped me lot setting up whole MQTT (although you do not have to use Node-red)

Here’s my tutorial if you’re interested.

It’s a pity Homey and/or apps can’t be started in safe mode.
Because when MQTT Hub crashes @ Pro23, it wants to sync more devices than the app limits for CPU usage allows.

I think that’s a very high number

Now, when you lower the amount of devices to sync, the app shouldn’t crash at startup anylonger, at some point.
However, I don’t know if you still could disable a bunch of devices per app config?

Also try to (temporary) disable “Home Assistant discovery”

Now restart MQTT Hub app, if it doesn’t crash, you could enable the “HA discovery” after 15 minutes or such.

The data of variable aren’t published to mqtt unfortunately.
Is there an other way to publish variables to MQTT?

EDITED april 30…

AFAIK this is only possible with flows at the moment.

First I created a text variable called ‘Seizoen’
With four flows, I update the var with the right season name;
example of one of those:

• Then, with this flow, I send the changed value to a custom (anything you like) MQTT topic with this MQTT Client card:

Screenshot from 2024-04-30 15-34-53

• First test run the flow, to have the MQTT Client card creating the topic
  • Then check if it actually works:
    does it appear in MQTT Explorer? Something like this:

Screenshot from 2024-04-30 14-52-01

If true,

1. Edit configuration.yaml and add this line (don’t enter any leading spaces)
mqtt: !include mqtt.yaml

To compare, it should look something like this, when putting it to the other ‘!include’ lines
Screenshot from 2024-04-30 15-23-49

1. Create a mqtt.yaml file in the same folder as the config yaml
    And enter this:
sensor:
# custom sensor, gets updated by Homey var 'seizoen'
  - name: varHmy_Seizoen
    state_topic: 'homey/variabelen/seizoen'
    force_update: true
    value_template: >
      {{ value.split(',')[0] }}
  • Make sure the state_topic is exactly the same as you used in the MQTT Client flow card
    • At - name, you can of course enter your own preferred name
  1. Reload all yaml files, or just restart HA
  • Now the sensor should be present as MQTT entity (you will not find it as device!)

1 Like

Thank you. I’ll try it that way.

1 Like

I don’t get it to work.
Home Assistant doesn’t see the massages. Do i need to change the topic or the Qos? After installing mqtt on Home Assistant i didn’t change the setting.

Owwwww, my bad Jeroen! :face_with_peeking_eye: :blush:
It’s a bit more complicated as what I remembered
I edited my initial reply!

I like QoS 1

MQTT Quality of Service (QoS) is an agreement between the message sender and receiver that defines the level of delivery guarantee for a specific message.
MQTT provides three levels of QoS:

• At most once (QoS 0)
  • At least once (QoS 1)
  • Exactly once (QoS 2)

Source

1 Like

Is this app stil developed or even supported?!?

If so where to report problems, in github nothing is happening…
Here a crash ID ec73588c-63de-476e-8d83-de24b43e7fa0
The app keeps constantly crashing, after 7 or 8 tries it finally keeps running…

When it is not developed or supported anymore is there someone who want to continue debugging an improving this app?

The app itself is one of the best apps idea’s for Homey, I would be great if it was improved or even a official part of Homey itself…

1 Like

same here: mqtt hub app keeps constantly crashing

report => cf561424-c85d-4127-84c6-d166d5b23c58

Users affected by the CPU limit issue can give some likes for this PR :smile:

3 Likes