[Modding] Various Homey Pro (Early 2023) Modification suggestions

Thanks to all findings from @Sharkys , i can confirm that turning on the led (spectrum) will rise the system temp around 3,5c (and probably more if you use the original heatsink). So you can see it as a way to reduce the system temperature, or as a way to save energy (heat is energy) by turning that off if you don’t need it.

3 Likes

For those who prefer the hard mod with an additional housing, here is an example.

• Infinitely variable speed control by Homey with a Shelly RGBW
  • 12 Volt bequiet! 80 mm fan

IMG_ybnsyj.gif

3 Likes

You should try the artic fan’s they have temp sensor and won’t spin if it’s cool

Also so basically a backup from usb c is just a dd of the whole internal disk? Is it possible to dd it back to another device?

1 Like

About the backup; Yes, it is a compressed file with a backup of all the partitions. You can restore it to another homey 2023 (CM4 module).

Together with this usb fan adapter it should be the one of the best fan solutions.

€ 1,73 | Y Splitter Usb Fan Adapter Kabel Snelheid 5V 12V Step-Up Usb Naar Fan Dual 3Pin 4Pin pc Mouwen Power Kabel 57 Kleuren Mouwen Schakelaar
https://a.aliexpress.com/_EH3Gb0r

Red Iphonitis rigorosa : level 11

Just run a 12v fan from a 5v usb adapter and homey runs below 30c no need for adapter or something, i use a really smal 40mm fan with a 3d printed lid where the air flows over the cm4 and then out of the lid

This is of course a simple method. Unfortunately, this variant only measures the ambient temperature and not the processor temperature.
I had also considered this, but came to the conclusion that the Shelly can react directly to the processor temperature and adjust the speed of the fan accordingly.

I use them regularly it’s a little cable you place on the point you want to measure so it’s direct

There are many roads to Rome here, and at least this doesn’t look bad:

https://de.aliexpress.com/item/1005004318576251.html

1 Like

Ordered one of these myself

Was considering testing both with and without the fan. Have a couple of days before my new module arrive. Like the one you found there with the sinked in fan.

@Ranney how is your temperature holding after the bigger heatsink?

Very stable :+1:

Today I tried a lot of with homey (higher Cpu load) and was testing with a warmer environment. Temp of the system is around 55c

2 Likes

Nice to hear💪🏻 i think in get a bigger heatsink also

:+1:. The temp is absolutely lower. Below 60c is ok for me. So 55c is great. Installation was easy to do :+1:

If you need some Ali links, please send me a pb!

2 Likes

How can you monitor CPU temp on the Homey Pro 2019?

Not at all

1 Like

lol

Just turn on the experimental options ‘power user’ or install ‘sysinternals’

1 Like

But Tim is talking about early 2019.
The “old” Homey has no temperature monitoring, unless you stick a sensor on the red heat sink.

Sorry, I didn’t realize. Thank you for your addition!

1 Like