[Modding] Various Homey Pro (Early 2023) Modification suggestions

Hi @Ranney

Where do i find this ?
THX!

Alraedy found it:

THX!!!

2 Likes

So, tweaked the nuts of the new heatsink (force how ‘strong’ they are tightened). Didn’t realize how important it is to tweak them. Was trying things with a heat camera and find out that the heatsink was warmer when adjust the nuts of the heatsink :smiling_face:

My module just arrived :slight_smile:

I gues it is time todo some modding this weekend :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Nice! Looking forward for your results!!
Are you replace the cooling solution (heatsink/fan) as well?

Good luck! :muscle:

Yes i am. I got a armor sink with optional pwm fan on it. But first im just gonna go without the fan. But first im going to test the usb backup to get that to work.

Nice! Curious if it is possible for you to backup from the new cm4 module. What I see and experience here is that reading a backup from the new module will fail around 90-95%. The idea is that it is maybe possible to rename that failed swap file and restore that. Possible, it is just the ‘empty space’ that it is reading at the end and that a particular restore will work. Maybe that you can try that?

Did you have issues doing backup on original CM4? it stops for me at 99,94%

However second time it went thru to 100% without issues … odd.

No, I have issues with the replacement (CM4108032). It is always failing when reading a backup but never at the same ‘spot’. Somewhere between 92-98%.
When extracting that failed swap file, it has an ‘unexpected end’ of the file that is reading the empty space. So hopefully it is possible to ‘restore’ the incompleted file.

The standard cm4 module has an empty partition of ~4mb at the end. Maybe that that is also ‘failing’ to read?

Well i got a complete backup second try so have just opened the unit upp to switch out the board. Looks like i have to figure out a solution to replace the screws without having todo some soldering. I seam to remember i saw a post how you managed todo it without having todo that.

Maybe in this thread :upside_down_face:

Haha, ok. And yes, it is possible to replace the board without soldering. It is post 2 in this topic.

Let me know if you have further questions about that!

It would he really helpful if you have the time to, after finishing the swap aof the CP4 module and restore of the backup, can read a new backup from the CM4108032 and could try to restore that '95% backup file. I’m still waiting for my second homey because the current one is running the house. It would be really helpful if I know if I can ‘trust’ the incomplete ‘SWAP file’ backup files.

1 Like

That was emm interesting … Was a pain with my big fingers to get this done … but anyway just restored the original backup and turned on my HP2023. Looks like it is on its way upp and working. @Ranney i had to keep my original heatsink for now because i need longer screws for the new one i have.

Everything seam to work as it used to. 8.2Gb Ram. Lets say it is somewhat overkill but if your going to do something like this you might aswell do it properly i gues…

@Ranney how did you extend the partition. i noticed that most of the usual commands via SSH seam to be missing for it.

1 Like

About the partition stuff…

Your Homey Pro would need to be jailbroken first. This is a fairly easy process, but I haven’t made it public yet. The SSH experiment is a system running inside a system. So it’s sandboxed.

3 Likes

My german is somewhat rusty but as i get it … it wont stay permanently the partition size. How are you going about doing it temp based?

Nice and sounds good!

If you are going to replace the screws, then you have to desolder the carrier board if I’m right. That is the reason that I bought a heatsink with the same thickness so I can reuse the ‘old’ screws.

And as far of the partition size, i have not extended it at the moment. Looking forward for my second homey te test that out first. But @spkesDE is the expert in this and can tell you more about it :+1:

Well, we stopped the progress once we noticed it wouldn’t stay after updates. Since I don’t have a CM4 with a bigger flash, I can’t try it on my own. Once we have a way, I can include it in the jailbreak script. So after every update, you have to re-jailbreak. What takes like 5 minutes maximum.

So if a Linux distro geek is here with a CM4 upgrade, can they PM me for the jailbreak information.

2 Likes

Yea i noticed that also it is very tight on the screw closest to the soldered connection. I need a couple more mm for my new sink. Later problem that.

1 Like

For my interrest, why would you need a bigger partition part? Is this the other memory part?

The ram issue i get that, mine is also to the limit. But the other memory is without the “swap” mb’s not even 1/3 of the memory full.

@Teddy may i ask where you bought the cm4?

it’s better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it, i guess :person_shrugging:

5 Likes