[Modding] Homey Pro (Model Early 201x) Antenna modification

I cannot comment on the stability since I never had any problems. Mainly running wave devices, on zigbee I just have 15 battery powered devices, no repeaters.
The external antenna has indubitable increased the range. One of my Aqara Door sensors is outside on the main gate (about 12m away an a brick wall in between) plus it is mounted on a metal frame, which usually makes worst a radio signal.

Perhaps other forum members can comment for you with their experience?

I noticed an increase in range after the mod, even my sensor in the freezer in the shed (12+ mtrs and HR glass and wall in between) reports fine now. I think your Zigbee going down is something in the soft- or hardware and will not be improved by the antenna mod, but that is my guts, no science.

Can you tell us your experience now a couple of months later? Iā€™m really curious.

You mean the zigbee booster from your mod? Or are you talking about some external deviceā€¦

Sure thing!

The connection has been rock stable for all devices after the antenna was added. I still lose a device every now and then (but way less then before, maybe 1 device per three months. I have around 40 devices in total) but I think that is due to the long awaited zigbee rewrite still that homey promised us.
So I do think that it helps a lot, especially for devices that are a bit further away (garage, first and second floor).

Wouldnā€™t want to have my homey without the antenna anymore, thatā€™s for sure.

1 Like

Thanks mate! Was it hard to remove the top half from down half? I think that this is the most tricky partā€¦

EDIT: can somebody tell me what the best zigbee antenna from aliexpress is?

This is the one I got;
ā‚¬ 2,73 8ļ¼… Off | 2.4Ghz antenna Wifi 5dbi SMA Male connector white 2.4 ghz antena Omni-Directional Router 2.4g Antenna +RP-SMA Male Pigtail Cable
https://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/buxm8Jeg

Yes prying open the top half is most time consumingā€¦ I took a sharp knife and started to scrape out the glue bit for bit. Did it whilst watching television otherwise I would have gone crazy and broke something for sure.

1 Like

Thanks, I ordered one! Has the inside cable that is included with this one the right length? I mean, long enough, but no Too long? As I read somewhere that the longer the cable, the worse the range will be?

You know what they say about size ;)!
For me itā€™s a direct replacement.

The size is fine. The shielding isnā€™t, itā€™s very thin.
This is what i used: Homey antenna mod

What do you mean with shielding? The internal wire?

And in this case, wich length did you go for? Can choose between a lot of different lengthsā€¦

If you plan to add more antennaā€™s then you are safe to use 10 to 15 cm because you have to cut the little connector anyway, shorting the cable to your need. For Zigbee it has to stay on, so it depends a bit on where you put the antenna connector on the dome. But 7 or 10 cm should fit, 15 is definitely enough.
There is enough space below the circuit board for some extra cable length but you have to wrap them around the mounting pins where the circuit lies on.

Biggest kwats ever :slight_smile:. Cant even bother properly responding tbh.

1 Like

Hi all modders,

So i went ahead and did the antenna mod.
Because after transitioning to Homey, my z-wave network has been the most unreliable itā€™s ever been.

The mesh was all over the place, routing back and forth throug the house and dropping out. The danalock v3 worked 20% of the time, and the lights(mostly Fibaro), when they worked had long delays.
ZigBee was actually better xD

The house is 180sqm. 2 story wood frame.

Homey support could not help. They ended up saying the Fibaro app might have some issues, but nothing they could point their finger on.

After the mod, and healing every node in the developer tools, only a few nodes required a hop before contact with Homey. The rest had direct contact. I was super happy! I walked around the house trying out different lights and flows. All worked, and really great response times. Even the Danalock got a direct link an was working, and that is like 4 meters and a wall between.

This worked without a hitch for two daysā€¦
Thenā€¦ some lights are starting to get delays again, and the danalock was beginning to get time out errors.

I checked the z-wave mesh again and god dammitā€¦ It was forming a new routing hell! At least for some nodes. The Danalock had 4 hops before reaching Homey.
After healing the affected nodes, all was fine again.

Anyone else had or have similar issues?
Will i forever have to heal my nodes every two days?

1 Like

Just curious, why? And why donā€™t you explain to him what he should do then?
Maybe we all can learn from you?

In another topic, I see a remark from Robert Klep, (sorry itā€™s in Dutch)
robertklep

2h

Danalock zijn toch FLiRS-apparaten? Als je er daar een paar van in je Z-Wave netwerk hebt kan dat problemen veroorzaken, dat is een bekend probleem omdat Homey FLiRS niet (goed?) ondersteunt

Danalock are FLiRS devices, right? If you have a few of them in your Z-Wave network that can cause problems, that is a known problem because Homey does not support FLiRS (good?)

Extremely excited bout this mod guys. The post is lengthy :crazy_face:, but read it all. I came from the Homewizard which in the past I modded with an extended 433mhz antenna. Experienced the boosted range and if I can do the same with the Homey that would be great! Ordered the antennaā€™s suggested by PetervdK immediately. Canā€™t wait to see the results for the Z-Wave network!

Just one question thoughā€¦ I remember that the exact length of the antenna cable is very important. If you cut off the pigtail connector it shortens the wire a little bit, no problems with that? Could that also explain the improvement PetervdK experienced when adding the 45 degree connectors?

The pigtail is a shielded cable, in fact a mini coax cable. So if shielded correctly, it doesnā€™t count in the length of the antenna. But of course it does damp the signal to the antenna so hence the ā€œshorter is betterā€. But with these minor differences it doesnā€™t have that much influence.
Same goes for the 45 degree connectors. If built correctly and proper shielded they shouldnā€™t have much influence.

Aha! Thx! Good to know.

I was not able to be 100% sure reading the whole post

For 433:

• I will disconnect the existing spring antenna
  • Only the center wire of the 433 antenna is to be connected, not the surrounding shield wiring?
  • If questions 2 is ā€œconnect the 2 wiringsā€, which wire needs to go on which connector of the 433 chip? or is there no importance in poles?

thanks!

1 Like