Location and Presence - MQTT Setup

Hello, I am relatively new to Homey Pro 23. I am trying to setup Presence identification more robust than tracking my iPhone IP address due to the delay upon arriving home and being recognized. I started to follow the non-HTTP directions for Location and Presence, therefore MQTT. It appears the free home user MQTT referenced is no longer available. My question is: should I use the Homey MQTT apps in place of the Cloudflare option? If the answer is yes, would I install the MQTT Broker first then a Client? Or just the Broker. I would also use OwnTracks as well. Probably would choose the apps written by Menno van Grinsven.
I am just a residential user with a small number of family members.
Thank you in advance.

Hi Dan,

You can just install this app

Didn’t you find this howto yet?
Maybe it helps you on your way.

Is SmartPresence not an option for you, your iphone needs a dedicated ip address.
Create a flow which sets in Homey home/away depending on the SmartPresence status.

Thank you Peter. I did setup the HTTP version but had inconsistent results. I thought the delay was also due to the time it took for my phone to connect with my home network upon arrival. I did set my iPhone to a fixed IP address and have experimented with turning off the Private Wi-Fi address. I was thinking the MQTT approach was more robust. I will re-read the information you provided and start fresh. Appreciate the quick response.

Thank you Koos. I did try SmartPresence but had inconsistent results. I thought the delay was also due to the time it took for my phone to connect with my home network upon arrival. I did set my iPhone to a fixed IP address and have experimented with turning off the Private Wi-Fi address. I was thinking the MQTT approach was more robust. Appreciate the quick response.

Hi Dan, YW.
Connecting to wifi should not be any influence while Owntracks uses your 5G data connection to communicate with Homey. It should have reported you home before the wifi connection is eshtablished.
It all depends on the quality of the 5G connection of course.

Increase the Geofence size to increase the “I’m home” detection. When you have it at 100m, change it to, say 500m and test the results. When you’re happy with it, resize it with -50 meters after each test, until you found the optimal response time