Local Homey Pro Wifi

Hello dear community

I am a very new user to Homey.

What sold me the idea of this product, was the fact that it promises the all smart home devices will still work of my WiFi is off (has happened a few times, since the provider had tech issues).

I have purchased a Homey Pro and connected all existing devices to it. (Ikea Fyrtur blinds, Philips Hue lights and Tado thermostats).

How can I make sure these devices are on the local Homey wifi and not my actual wifi?

Many thanks,
Rasmus

I don’t think it promises that.

There is no such thing as a “local Homey wifi”. If your devices use WiFi (i.e. they don’t use a protocol like Zigbee or Z-Wave to communicate with Homey), and your WiFi fails, then your devices cannot be controlled by Homey.

As @robertklep said, not all devices can be directly connected to Homey. Tado, for example, only has an internet API. So, even though Homey and the tado hub might be connected to the same WIFI network, tado doesn’t allow direct connection, therefore Homey has to connect to the tado server on the internet. That limitation is imposed by tado and the same applies to many other brands that connect via a hub/ bridge.

But, this is true:
when Wifi is temporary unavailable, Homey keeps on running with the other wireless protocols: zigbee/zwave/433MHz/868MHz/Ble/IR
So if you pair your Hue & IKEA TrĂĄdfri App for Homey | Homey devices with Homey instead of their bridges, it keeps on working

You can’t manage Homey however.
If Wifi is available, but internet temporary isn’t, you can.

There is no such thing as a “local Homey wifi”. If your devices use WiFi (i.e. they don’t use a protocol like Zigbee or Z-Wave to communicate with Homey), and your WiFi fails, then your devices cannot be controlled by Homey.

Ahh okay, I perhaps have misunderstood the “Local wifi” entirely. It is refering to my actual wifi, not setting up a kind of “private homey wifi” for smart devices only.

1 Like

Okay, thank you for the explanation Peter!

This is making sense for me now.
So in reality I should switch tado out for a thermostat that can run zigbee/zwave/mm. instead of wifi through a bridge, if I wanted this to work as I intended from the beginning?

It is nice to see that Hue has a way to connect without the bridge. I do own a Hue Bridge from before I bought the Homey Pro. Should I throw the bridge away and connect directly or are there advantages using it now that I already have one?

1 Like

Hue device directly on Homey has 2 sides.
I understand many hue owners prefer the hue bridge in between.

Con
-If you like the flash and color party scenes
-When Homey is unavailable
Pro
-All mains powered devices extend Homey’s zigbee mesh
-One device (and it’s power and data use) less

I might have missed some points

I use the hue bridge as I feel the dimmers work better.
But I’m not even sure if the hue bridge connection is not local once a device is paired?

As for tado, I would stick with it as it in my opinion it is far better than any other system and the scheduling etc still works without an internet connection.

Once upon a time the Hue app downloaded almost a DVD every day. I can’t discover if they tried to run Homey + Hue bridge without an active internet connection

Hello Rasmus,
your Wifi will not be down if your provider have a issue’s. Then you have a Internet acces problem.
A lot off device or connected true some cloud solution’s, and if you have a provider Internet issue then these app/devices will not work.
You must be selective with you device if you want that everything will work normal if you lose your internet connection.

I would definitely stick with Tado, as tech goes it works extremely reliably.
For Hue I would still connect via the Hue Bridge, reliable, faster connection and response especially if you need to control lots of Hue lamps. Much easier to create scenes in the Philips Hue app on your phone which Homey can then see and use in flows

Another con might be that, without the Hue bridge, Hue lights firmware will not be updated. The same goes for IKEA TrĂĄdfri devices without their hub. Whether that will ever be noticed is another question. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

True that!

( Firmware update: When they release new colors, or new brightness range, from 0 to 125 :sweat_smile::upside_down_face: )

2 Likes