LG WebOS better integration

Installed 3.0.1 this morning. Works great on hp23!

I have the app new installed and it looks like it is allright, only homey “feels” a little slower.
After a reboot of homey the app doesn’t work anymore.
In the app-list on the homey i see no symbol in the red cirkel from the Web-OS app.
My tv is a oled65cx6la.

Seems the integration is working for newest models but is broken for older ones…
Today I tried to add the TV again and it always failed. Every-time I added TV via LG WebOS from Athom , it works. For now I’m switching to this version then ;-(

I might have figured out what the problem was. I found two bugs since the SDK3 version. TV’s were registered as unavailable when they could not be reached; as in turned off. A bit weird this was causing issues all of the sudden but okay. So whenever a TV is no longer reachable I now will force it to ‘available’. Furthermore, I found an issue with some flows using special web sockets. They would reject the secured connection and needed some extra love :wink: Anyway fix is incoming today.

PS: I was also working on something else you all might find interesting.

2 Likes

New version 3.0.2 is available in the store and via Github

2 Likes

New version 3.1.0 is available in the store and Github. New version includes an action card to create an alert instead of a toast. Alerts have buttons! You can do stuff with buttons, crazy right. Do you want to watch a series each evening at 19h and don’t feel like looking through all the apps? Create an alert with buttons to launch those apps.

Buttons should be defined as a valid JSON array. See com.webos.notification | webOS Open Source Edition for the button definition.

[
      {
        "label": "Netflix",
        "onclick": "luna://com.webos.applicationManager/launch",
        "params": {"id": "netflix"},
        "buttonType": "confirm",
        "focus": true
      }, {
        "label": "Got to website",
        "onclick": "luna://com.webos.applicationManager/launch",
        "params": {"id": "com.webos.app.browser", "target": "https://example.org"},
        "buttonType": "confirm"
      }
]

Per default, there will always be a Close button that does nothing but cancelling the alert.

Each app has a different ID and parameters. I don’t know all ID’s, I don’t know all possible parameters :man_shrugging:. Maybe we should create a list somewhere so we can share them.

4 Likes

@MaxvandeLaar Really cool! Unfortunately I can’t make the buttons work.

When I copy-paste your example, I get error:

Unexpected token } in JSON at position 202

When I leave the field empty, the default message (with only the close button) works perfectly fine.

Also tried just one button:

[
   {
      "label":"Got to website",
      "onclick":"luna://com.webos.applicationManager/launch",
      "params":{
         "id":"com.webos.app.browser",
         "target":"https://example.org"
      },
      "buttonType":"confirm"
   }
]

But that gives me this error:

Message is not parsed

Support might be really flaky in this. Maybe the browser or your tv has a different ID? Or different params. Try adding a button with just a label and nothing else. See if that works.

I mean I have 2 lg tvs and one doesn’t support create alert at all. For the one that does work, the timeout does not work :smiling_face_with_tear: so it’s a very tricky thing to implement and get it working

Fiddled around for a bit. This works for me. Also, the timeout works without any problems.

My alert doesn’t show a title tho, but that’s not that big of an issue.

[
   {
      "label":"Netflix Test",
      "onclick":"luna://com.webos.service.applicationmanager/launch",
         "id":"netflix"
      }
   },
   {
      "label":"Live TV",
      "onclick":"luna://com.webos.service.applicationmanager/launch",
         "id":"com.webos.app.livetv"
      }
   }
]
1 Like

Very neat, it works here with your example JSON, Max.
LG webOS UJ630V (4 to 5 yrs old)

The last JSON of @basvanderploeg show the messagebox, but the buttons act like ‘cancel’. Bas has a newer model I guess?

Yeah, I’ve got a C2 OLED from last year.

1 Like

Max, I have WebOS version 2.3.0 installed on my Homey. I checked your website and installed version 3.1.0 but it seems that it wont install on my Homey? I just clicked the button “Installeer” and it says that it wil be instellaed but nothing happened. What do I do wrong?

I just stumbled upon this app and it works so much better than the one from Athom, so thanks a lot!

Will try to fiddle around a bit with the alerts later this week. I have an OLED77G1RLA (I think from 2021).
Would it be possible to send an http request to Homey’s IP address when clicking a button on an alert? Preferably without opening up the browser on screen.

@Peter_Kawa I also have an older LG tv (maybe even the same model I can’t remember) but the buttons work for me. But as with everything with LG WebOS. Your millage may vary.

@Janbuijs91 I wanted to actually do the same thing. Or even trigger a flow or something via an Alert. I could not figure it out, the only option I see is to create an LG WebOS app for the TV itself which you can call and that would be able to ‘do Homey stuff’. I already have a prototype app for my team.

Yeah they do work for me as well, with your JSON.
I only wanted to note the JSON posted by Bas is probably for a newer model than I have :wink:

Yeah triggering a flow through the alert button was exactly what I want it to do, but I thought sending an http request would be the simplest way of doing that. Any other way would be just as good.
I would gladly test out any TV app that can communicate with Homey in some way if you have one.

I also just read an article that claims that LG WebOS TV’s can run most Android TV apps? Tbh, I didn’t think that was possible. This might make it easier to do🤔
The article:

Guess I’ll be spending my weekend looking at this stuff.

The JSON from Bas also works for me and the notifications don’t show a title either.

To which ‘Store’ is being referred to?
As I cannot find a specific webos app in the homey app store that has your name @MaxvandeLaar to it.

Maybe someone can steer me in the right direction.

Otherwise I will try the GitHub version.

The community store. But it’s still in a rebuild phase atm, so unavailable for now