ITEAD Sonoff

Flashing is still the only option, I’m afraid :frowning:

hm to dificult for me. wil leave the homey part then and only use it thru google assistent. :face_with_raised_eyebrow::face_with_raised_eyebrow:

@robertklep how is that new DIY stuff looking from your side? Will it mean no flashing needed?
I’m in need of a mini switch/relay for an extractor fan, and sonoff would be by far the cheapest way to do it if I could control with Homey!

I haven’t looked at it at all, not sure if I ever will because I mostly stopped using Homey.

:frowning: Sad to hear

Out of interest what system have you moved to?

Home Assistant. I moved to it when my Homey got bricked when I upgraded from v1 to v2, and had to send Homey back to Athom. During that time (about a two week period) I moved everything to Home Assistant (I already had Zigbee and Z-Wave USB sticks) and never went back.

Can’t connect Sonoa basic,

Mqtt connectie kon niet gemaakt worden.

Do you have any idea for me?

Which device cannot connect to the MQTT broker, Homey or the Sonoff device?

I assume you have an MQTT broker running? Because you need one. The easiest solution would be to run one on Homey using the MQTT Broker app.

The sonos device, no I don’t have a mqtt.
I’ll do that right now and try.
This is the first time I’m trying to install something
of sonos.

Sonos is something entirely different from Sonoff :wink:

word prediction
Sorry :neutral_face:

I have a question about how the Sonoff works… might be easiest to explain the use case

Want to use this on an extractor fan - this has an isolation switch but is also linked to the light switch, so if the light turns on, the fan turns on (unless isolation switch is off), and when the light goes off there is a timer which runs the extractor for x minutes. The fan therefore is powered even with the switch off via a neutral.

My question is, if I stick a sonoff on the line to the fan, will it still pass that power or will the sonoff cut the live and the neutral?

Thanks

Timed extractor fans will have three wires connected: live, neutral and switch (where the switch wire is connected to the light).

So it depends on what you want to do and which “line to the fan” you mean :slight_smile: In any case, I think that the Sonoff devices only switch live, and pass neutral as-is. If you have a multimeter you can run a continuity check between neutral in and neutral out to find out (if you don’t, I can check later).

Thanks for the quick reply!

The line to the fan I was meaning is the wire that goes directly into the back of the fan (so the one with three wires you mentioned i guess (I havent looked inside the casing yet!)

It sounds like I should wire the sonoff into the switch (for live) and neutral (for neutral) and leave the live as is… then, bypass the lightswitch at the switch end?
Would that make sense?

What are you trying to achieve exactly?

I want to link it with a humidity sensor so that the extractor will only come on when the shower is in use (it’s a secondary bathroom so the shower won’t be used much), and then control at will otherwise with flows…

Just checked: the Sonoff Basic only switches the L side, and passes the N as-is. The Sonoff POW as well.

So you have two options: switch the L going to the fan, which would disable the timer because you’re basically turning off the power to the fan completely, or switch the switch wire going to the fan and still be able to use the timer. In both cases, you need to pass the N through the Sonoff.

If you want to operate the fan purely on humidity, you probably want to use the first option.

1 Like

Thanks so much!
Edit. I guess switching the the switch wire maybe makes most sense maybe, as I could decide to leave it functioning ‘as is’ by leaving the sonoff on, but still control manually (i’m never going to want the fan on when the light is off other than the run on from the timer)

Or as you say I guess I might be better switching the L as then everything controlled via sonoff (and prsumably i need eliminate the connection to the lightswitch all together in this option?)

Yes, that connection becomes moot in that case. It may require some sort of configuration at the fan-side, otherwise it may not come on if the switch wire is disconnected (the most obvious solution would be to tie the switch and L endpoints on the fan together, but perhaps the fan already has a selectable option for that).

1 Like

Have you seen the Python library for discovering and controlling the Sonoff devices in LAN mode. It requires the latest version of the original firmware.

I think this looks promosing for rewriting the Sonoff plugin.

1 Like