Hue automation: is Homey significantly slower than HomeKit?

Now that I finally purchased Advanced Flows, I tried to move a complicated HomeKit integration (5 different rules) into a single (Homey) Advanced Flow. Basically this is automating lights on a staircase in a dark area of my house (no windows). It is based on a Hue motion sensor and Hue lightbulb on floor x and a Hue motion sensor and Hue lightbulb on floor x+1. This worked pretty good using HomeKit (turning on/off lights when I go up/down), but with Homey I notice that I have made way more steps on the staircase before the lights turn on/off.

Is Homey significantly slower than HomeKit for automating Hue?

Homey uses polling for the status of Hue sensors/lights, which means it will periodically have to check the Hue hub for status changes (as opposed to hub notifying Homey that a status has changed, which it supports but Athom hasn’t implemented for some unknown reason).

I think the polling interval for sensors is 2 seconds (which to me would be unacceptable).

A workaround would be to directly pair your sensors with Homey using the “Hue, without the bridge” app.

Unfortunate, but totally explains the observed behaviour. Thanks!

I’m considering reverting this particular automation to HomeKit…

1 Like

Yeah, I’m keeping Homekit Automations that needs motion detection and lights on in Homekit. Things that needs to feel like its reacting quicker is Homekit automations.

Update:
I am searching the forum for an article I read a few weeks ago. It is about using Homey’s Home Automation app to see the Hue motion sensors in HA and wanted to confirm that this is a great solution too.

I do nothing with the HA setup other than running it on a R-Pi and using the Hue motion sensors from HA in my Homey flows. I can confirm it’s faster. BTW I am using Hue bridges to reach the sensors and as per other posts I would not pair sensors directly without the bridge app.