HP 2023 and Zigbee being soooo busy

Yes, I’ve noted some discussions on this topic in other threads, but really haven’t found a specific thread dealing with HP 2023 in this respect.

As I’m sure many others have experienced, I can’t do anything useful with updating, repairing, adding any Zigbee devices. The simple reply is “Zigbee is busy, try again later”.

Well, I’ve tried later… weeks later.

Mysteriously many of my zig devices are working properly, but adding and/or repairing after migration is simply not possible.

I am NOT a programmer or nerd or super talented computer geek. I’m just an ordinary user with a computer and a phone.

Once I thought that “smart home”/home automation would be something that could simplify everyday life. Now I understand it’s not - you have to have this continuous monitoring/updating/pampering as some sort of hobby. I don’t want that. I want a +400 EUR gadget to work!

Sorry for letting off some steam - now to being more precise:

Has anyone of you experts out there some solution to this problem - meaning now at this moment and not in a firmware future upgrade?

Or could something in my house be very wrong with a zig device pumping out data that chokes Homey?

I have over 50 zig devices so I really don’t want to reset the zig network (meaning, as I understand it, that every darn zig gadget has to be registered again (see what I mean with making life easier…))??
And, as I once again understand it, it is not possible to change channel in the developers tool (?).

Really would appreciate your input here!

All best

/Stefan

PS
I have:
Homey Pro 2023 version 10.0.1
App used in iPhone version 7.2.3.1246
Mostly using browser though.

Hi Vierdank,

Complaining slash blowing of steam here has no use, please aim your ‘feedback’ at Athom’s: Support | Homey :heavy_check_mark: :wink:

Ever had a printer? A windows laptop? Since 1995 when I bought my first PC, there’s always something wrong, and still is.
I bet your phone and laptop cost multiple times of 400EUR…

You’re right, HOMEY is a gadget but with lots of possibilities, and also lots of things that can go wrong, but Athom is always trying to fix bugs and stuff, and adds new features from time to time. For free. Also Athom support is free of charge. Okay, sometimes they should really fix some bad malfunctions, before releasing new stuff like matter for instance…
I don´t agree to lots of things, it is really not perfect (but what is?), but we are free to sell stuff and buy something else, right.

I think you need systems like KNX to have a carefree life without monitoring/updating/pampering (with an empty wallet as side effect).

I don’t know if the points below are an issue with your Homey, but zigbee is not plug and play. You’re just lucky when it works flawlessly out-of-the-box.

You have to tune your wifi and zigbee channels ‘smart’. Also be aware of nearby neigbor’s wifi signals which can interfere.

Also, not just any zigbee device can’t be thrown together with Homey, they’re just not all 100% compatible, which is a pain. They can cause all kinds of vague errors like sensors stopping to send updates, but still being present in the network.
In my case it was combining Ikea filament lights with any Aqara sensor. Replacing Ikea with Lidl lights worked for me. Note, Ikea smart plug works very well with Aqara, so it isn’t (always) brand specific, but can be device model specific.

See that as the last resort please…
Yes, reset means: start from scratch and pair every unit as new unit.

That’s the community doing as much as possible :desert_island: :facepunch:
IF you reset zig and paired all devices again, you can fix your flows with a script, but you’ll have to save your device names / device ID’s prior to the resetting

Don’t know about Pro 23, but with Pro 201x you can
Screenshot from 2023-08-14 01-50-55

1 Like

Thanks everyone for replying! Very valuable to me!

1 Like

Can you tell wich brand zigbee devices you are using?

I have the same issues with HP2023. Zigbee works if you connect them but above 50 devices some random will stop working. Every reboot it’s a guess which light will stop working.

I have my zigbee on Channel 25 (even tried without wifi) only Hue Lights (direct to Homey), Aqara door sensors, curtain motors and motion sensors, 1 ikea led trafo and remote (end devices - which i removed as i saw somewhere ikea can give issues, but it really doesn’t help anything).

I re-added everything twice, reset network redo channels etc… contacted Athom several times but get a default reply after few days (worst support ever).

Also apps like Nest (doorbell) isn’t working, Withings (sleep analyzer) which are all Athom Build apps.

You buy a 400 euro item in beta i can understand all the issues. It’s not beta anymore but the issues are still here! Not acceptable for a product in this range.

And yeah you can add a Hue Bridge for your lights (will probably work for the lights) but than again you need a second Zigbee network for sensors and curtains etc. So more unnecessary routers to get that network up and running.

So i totally understand your issue but i am affraid the product is released too early to normal state and with the speed of Athom i think with a year or so the issues may be addressed.

I wonder, you mean re-paired or really deleted and re-added ?

Zigbee network ?

Just by any chance, you do have enough Zigbee routers I guess, correct ?
If answer on all questions is YES, then wow - you went even next mile steps and there must be explanation from Athom guys in this case…I do hope they come-up with solution soon…
Btw I do have certain problems with Zigbee as well (partial updates of sensor values only and Zigbee dying after certain period of time), but never any Philips Hue device actually left network - I did have problems with IKEA Tradfri though, but they were leaving after 1-2 weeks - I got rid of them, replaced by Tuya and they stay.

OT - Google Nest SDM is not a solution ? (after HCS will work) - no need to answer.

Really reset the network and re-added from scratch. Sure i also tried repair sometimes but not for the complete list. I really restarted the installation from scratch 2 times.

Yes the Zigbee network

Yep i have more than enough routers (which i first added spread in a descent way around the house)
My Homey 2019 was running nice (sure sometimes small hicks but that’s why i bought a 2023 to think that should be better and hicks will be gone).

I spend another 500 euro on Hue lights to replace every Ikea in the house as all the people where telling me that was the issue. Which apparently wasn’t.

On 2019 this was working like a charm, didn’t test it yet on the 2023 as Athom had their own app which should work if you publish an item of 400 euro and own apps on it.

Just one point - I was recently upgrading all my 10? Hue lights via Zigbee2Mqtt (USB Zigbee dongle is very cheap and you can do it from any PC) BUT - it did not significantly improved my situation anyway - Athom needs to fix it. True is that my HUE were not updated for 3 -4 years and firmware showed quite extensive changelog on stability, security etc. For IKEA I have seen for some lights they even enabled Zigbee 3 compatibility via firmware upgrade etc. But as I said, if my devices were working on HP19, it should be still working as well on HP23.

Btw how do you see Zigbee device left network ? You get some notification or simply device is not responding ? I wonder what your dev. Zigbee view shows (eg. newly there is last seen column, you probably know already) but it doesn’t really matter if you rebuild network from scratch.

Updating is a pain because you need to disconnect them from Homey and connect them to the Hue Bridge to update. This is a hell with a lot of bulbs, i hope in the near future we can update from Homey…

It’s not leaving the network just not responding at all. An interview (tools page) or a ping gives an time-out. Sometimes resetting (off and on) the lamp helps but not always.

Actually, when I did it via Zigbee2MQTT, I have not removed them from Homey - just added to Zigbee2MQTT and then re-added into Homey via maintenance - true is that some device are then not able to update the routing path, so it might have some side-effects later on battery operated devices. On the other side, I did perform those updates only once per 3 or 4 years.

Yeah, that’s something Athom must address. I really do hope they work on that.