[HowTo][Modding] Homey Pro (Early 2023) - Resize user Partition on eMMC

Hello everyone. If I want to save myself the route of partitioning and use the CM4108008. Is that possible, or how should I proceed?

Do you mean without modifying / resizing partition ? Yes, it is, you will only restore USB backup.

that sounds good.

Just to add to the above:
You can also purchase the CM4108016 or CM4108032 and not bother with partitioning for now (just restore USB backup as normal). It will still work, but that leaves you the option to later do the repartitioning if you find that you need the extra space.

1 Like

This is the way.

Absolutely, I just did that. So the most difficult part is to loosen the nuts of the heat sink :wink: non repartitioning hassle at all.

Haha, in my case, the most difficult part was getting the nuts fixed again on the new heatsink :see_no_evil:

I kept the old heat sink for now, temperature is around 60° which should be ok (I hope)

Hi! Are you folks here able to do a USB to pc backup of homey pro after the CM4108032 upgrade and storage extension ?

Mine is stuck on arround 15% (guesstimate) on both linux laptop and mac

Yes, this was possible until some weeks ago. Now it is indeed stuck on both of my homey’s 2023 with replaced CM4. I see that the script of the homey backup site is ‘changed’. So I expect a problem there. But not skilled enough to find out the issue. The terminal is stuck without any error’s.

I just noticed the eMMC wear issue, and now this? If they made changes to prevent people from backing up their upgraded 2023’s, then that’s a crap move from them.

1 Like

I guess cloud backup is the way to go for now then

Cloud backup isn’t really the same, but obviously very useful in it’s own right.

If it is no longer possible to do a local backup of Homeys with an upgraded CM4, I guess it also might not be possible to restore a backup taken earlier, which is also bad.

I suppose it is probably possible to do the backup work also through other means, like Raspberry Pi Desktop, but it is for sure less convenient. And I guess nobody really did the work to outline the steps needed either (or create a shell script to do it).

I believe (did not test it), it should work (restore), as this is not doing anything with partitions.

Isn’t restore also doing things with partitions? At least it makes sure the partitions are created if you restore to a blank CM4 (after the initial install of a new CM4), but maybe it doesn’t do any changes to the partitions if they are already there?

Hm, for sure it’s not during cloud backup restore, that has been tested.

I’ve tested that.
A factory reset is creating / restoring the partitions to factory default. So a reset is possible after swapping the CM4 modules. A cloud restore is NOT changing the partitions. So possible is: factory reset, edit partition size, restore cloud backup.

But for now, USB backup is not possible. Sadly I don’t have a backup of the latest working scripts. Was still on my ‘to do’ list. The older (not working scripts) i have.

Thinking back, I am actually quite certain that restore from USB backup does include partitions and their sizes. It is basically a full restore, all inclusive.

That is correct. The complete flash is overwritten as it was when making the backup. Including the partition sizes/table.

I just discovered that my HP2023 has a factory installed CM4 with 32GB emmc.
Likewise, I cannot make a copy via USB Tool, so many people will have problems with it.