How to set up IKEA tradfri gateway app?

try to give you’re tradfri hub a steady ip adres that helps a lot. as soon as youre DHPC server gives him a other ip adress this happens. i had to reset it a few times a day now with a steady i never had te reset it.

What input is required for configuring the ikea gateway app? (all the fields? Where do I find the input?)

On the bottom of the hub…

Totally noob when it comes to this. How do i find PSK? And hostname?

You did read the first 3 posts?

I did, but couldnt find out how to put static IP on Gateway. Problem solved now

Hi Robert,

Because of many zigbee issues (we talked in a different topic) I connected the IKEA hub which I already had and Hope that gives me an alternative approach / solution to prevent the issue of the “first 20 zigbee devices” limitation on Homey. I have the IKEA hub succesfully connected to Homey with 4 demo lights (IKEA GU10) and a Tradfri 5 button remote on it. I was able to add the 4 bulbs to Homey app and i’m able to switch them from Homey, as well with the 5 point IKEA remote. (works fine with both)

Now i’m searching for an answer before I configure the rest of the network (+/- 75 zigbee lights and 25 zigbee end devices). Can I also add the remote(s) connected to the IKEA hub in Homey? I don’t have that option in the add deviced via IKEA gateway (image below). Goal; to assign / pair other lights with that remote. I was hoping that making use of the IKEA hub it also made it possible to use IKEA remotes (the on/off and the 5 button remote).

Thanks a lot !!

Can I also add the remote(s) connected to the IKEA hub in Homey

Nope, you can’t as far as I am aware

No, that’s not possible (the IKEA gateway doesn’t provide an API for that). A workaround could be to group the “other lights” with at least one of your IKEA lights (or perhaps an IKEA socket, if you don’t want an actual light to turn on/off), so the remote would control the IKEA light and because you can trigger a flow based on the status of that light in Homey, you can use flows to manage the other lights.

1 Like

Thanks! Great work around, I’ll try that while experimenting with the further installation.

A question pops up; I have a row of 7 lanterns (2 bulbs each) IKEA GU10’s along the driveway, they work fine towards the end / street, about 40 meters (all via the IKEA hub). There I use a non brandend Zigbee on/off controller for the mailbox light - it’s a strange fitting so no smart bulb (It worked as a general Zigbee device before, direct connected to Homey). The question; will this make use of the IKEA GU10’s expansion of the zigbee network (adopted in). I’m afraid because it’s non IKEA, it won’t be adopted in that far end part of the Zigbee network and so, not possible to add in Homey. Because of the range it won’t connect directly to the Homey (50meters away). Would this be the situation, or would the whole network of IKEA hub+Homey handle this more flexible than I asume now. Thanks!! Addition; even more mentionable; I would like to use an Aqara motion detector at the street to turn on these lights (also non ikea device for which I expect this will be a problem)

The latter is correct: because the gateway creates its own Zigbee network, and you can only add IKEA devices to the gateway’s network, you cannot add the device to the gateway’s network. And your IKEA bulbs will not route messages for devices that are not in the same Zigbee network.

Clear, so that won’t work. Then I’ll only make use of time/sunrise/set for the time being and skip motion detection functions. (Goal was; 30% brightness on all light-on moments and 100% brightness for 5 minutes when motion is detected) Hoping for a soon release of v5 which (so I’ll read everywhere on the forum) will be the holy grail that solves it all :slight_smile:

Btw; I think that at that moment, I need to remove the IKEA hub completely and pair all devices directly to Homey to have only one large Zigbee network. Otherwise the “problem” you confirmed will still exist. But that’s something for later.

Correct, that’s basically how Zigbee works: only devices in the same network will communicate with each other.

An alternative would be to use a Tradfri motion sensor in that specific Zigbee network part. But than the Tradfri gateway app need to support the IKEA motion sensor. Don’t know how likely that would be. Any wild guess if that will change, be supported, over time? Maybe there is a limition which makes that chance zero. Also good to know in that case. Than it’s just spending some time at that moment (after v5) to rebuild the entire setup. Not a big problem if that will be the optimal solution as from than.

AFAIK, it’s not directly supported (again, due to lack of support in the IKEA gateway API). I have no idea if IKEA will ever change that.

Just had a idea to try if it works. Reason to use IKEA hub was the issue of stability with lots of bulbs in specific areas, and the “Zigbee 20 limitation”. I’m gonna try to split up the driveway set of about 20 GU10’s. 18 via the IKEA hub network and 2 (or few more if needed irt range) via the Zigbee network directly connected to Homey. In that manner I hope the “Homey Zigbee” network will reach the far end, reaching the mailbox light (non branded relais) and the Aqara motion sensor. I’m curious how that will work out! Not a beautifull mesh will be created, but if they transfer signals i’m happy… :slight_smile: (potential delay in light on/off in the two different Zigbee meshes does not matter).

You’d have to test, it’s very difficult to say up front if this will work or not.

1 Like

What code is the security code? From the router?

chrome_2020-11-15_17-47-28

1 Like

1 Like