How to control brightness and color temperature for leds with just 2 wires?

Hi Community!

I want to control the leds under my kitchen cabinets. They can be dimmed and the colour temperature can be changed with the current led driver. I would like to control them with Homey, but I don’t really understand how it could be done, since brightness and color temp can be changed with just 2 wires (ww+ and cw+ on the picture).

Could this be achieved with eg. the Fibaro RGBW controller? How would this be done?

Thanks for your help

ww+ and cw+ are outgoing wires.
Control wires are input wires, most of the time.

If you know how diodes work the in short it is 2 way biased by changing the power direction.

If you don’t, a LED lets the power through only in one way, letting the power go from the + to -
if you swap the + and the - the led won’t light up.

So what they do is connect the warm light from WW -> CW and the cold white CW -> WW and in the driver they can switch the power direction very fast (also kinda the way they dim a LED, though then they only switch on and off the power very fast)

This is not possible with ordinary rgb(w) controllers like the fibaro

2 Likes

This coincides with my measurements, cw being 12V when the light is cold and ww being -12V when the light is warm.
So no easy way to replace this with something zwave/zigbee controllable… or then just for one particular color.

With the current strip indeed only 1 color, if you change the strip you can do whatever you want of course

I al facing the same issues. My new kitchen has 3 of these CW WW LED strips build in. They are hard to replace/ remove. I have the exact same L&S controller. The LED strips come with square little connectors at the end of the wires.

Is there, 2 years later, a way to connect these type 2 wire LED with a Z-Wave controller in order to connect the LED strips to Homey? Thanks!

Pim

Hi,
I’m not using Homey anymore. But I have a Fibaro RGBW controller to dim my ledstrip. Unfortunately I had to choose one color temperature and can not control that.