Homey Pro Backups (formerly Homey+) subscription

Let me start by saying I think it’s a good decision by Athom to introduce a subscription model to generate income, glad @Emile let loose the ‘I don’t believe in a subscription model’ mantra he had when he started Athom.

It does raise a concern however that a long promised feature will only be available through such subscription. It makes me wonder what will happen to other promised features such as Homey Security for example.

We know a community developer initiative to develop a backup feature wasn’t received well by Athom (as it now turns out it will interfere with their income!) and you might even say it was counteracted by the fact Athom didn’t want to give out an API key and support the initiative.

I do sincerely hope Athom doesn’t leave thousends of Heimdall users in the dark by deciding Homey Security will be the only way to use Homey in such way and put it behind a payed subscription.

I would rather see Athom introducing a payment model in the app store for apps by community developers than handing out Homey+ subscriptions to community developers. (Let them take 30% in the first year and 15% in the subsequent years an app is published)

24 Likes